AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Tohei resignation letter (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18067)

chillzATL 05-07-2010 11:08 AM

Tohei resignation letter

Anyone ever seen Tohei's resignation letter to the aikikai? In it he says "After returning to Japan, I first put down Yoshinkan Aikido and worked hard to raise Aikido headquarters up in the world". What does he mean by "put down Yoshinkan".

RED 05-07-2010 11:21 AM

Re: Tohei resignation letter

Meh, politics.

chillzATL 05-07-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Maggie Schill wrote: (Post 257095)
Meh, politics.

nice hijack...

Rabih Shanshiry 05-07-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Jason Casteel wrote: (Post 257094)
Anyone ever seen Tohei's resignation letter to the aikikai? In it he says "After returning to Japan, I first put down Yoshinkan Aikido and worked hard to raise Aikido headquarters up in the world". What does he mean by "put down Yoshinkan".

Never seen it personally. Can you post a copy or a link?

I have no idea what the phrase means, it could be that he was approached by Shioda to join the Yoshinkan an offer he "put down" or declined. That is pure speculation on my part however.

RED 05-07-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Jason Casteel wrote: (Post 257096)
nice hijack...

*salutes*

Aiki1 05-07-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Are you saying that you have seen the letter or the text of it?

chillzATL 05-07-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Larry Novick wrote: (Post 257100)
Are you saying that you have seen the letter or the text of it?

I have yes.

Aiki1 05-07-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Jason Casteel wrote: (Post 257101)
I have yes.

Where - I have wanted to see that for 28 years....

chillzATL 05-07-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Larry Novick wrote: (Post 257102)
Where - I have wanted to see that for 28 years....

via our dojo. I never expected it to be any sort of rarity, but after making the post I did some searching around and haven't really found it online anywhere.

raul rodrigo 05-07-2010 12:57 PM

Please post the text of the letter.

Aiki1 05-07-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Jason Casteel wrote: (Post 257103)
via our dojo. I never expected it to be any sort of rarity, but after making the post I did some searching around and haven't really found it online anywhere.

I think it has always been a point of interest for some people, myself included. I've never been able to locate a copy.

chillzATL 05-07-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Raul Rodrigo wrote: (Post 257104)
Please post the text of the letter.

I've only read a copy. It's nothing I can copy and paste from.

Keith Larman 05-07-2010 01:35 PM

Scanner...

Walter Martindale 05-07-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Keith Larman wrote: (Post 257107)
Scanner...

Scanner... Camera... Tracing Paper... Transcription...

JW 05-07-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

What does he mean by "put down Yoshinkan".

Could it be a poor/awkward translation? Did you see the Japanese text, or a translation?

lbb 05-07-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Jason Casteel wrote: (Post 257106)
I've only read a copy. It's nothing I can copy and paste from.

Kinda pointless to start a discussion thread on an out-of-context quote from a document none of the rest of us can read, innit? I mean, what could we possibly have to say about it? Not enough information.

Lyle Laizure 05-07-2010 09:29 PM

I agree with Mary.

Janet Rosen 05-07-2010 09:37 PM

What Mary said. Source, translation, etc need to be verified.

chillzATL 05-08-2010 06:04 AM

Quote:

Mary Malmros wrote: (Post 257114)
Kinda pointless to start a discussion thread on an out-of-context quote from a document none of the rest of us can read, innit? I mean, what could we possibly have to say about it? Not enough information.

well.. no. I really didn't expect it to be something that seemingly no-one had seen or read. Pointless now, obviously, but hindsight is 20-20. If I can post the letter later, I will.

Rabih Shanshiry 05-08-2010 08:42 AM

I, for one, find Tohei's reference to the Yoshinkan in his resigntaion intriguing and something I did not know about. Others here are excited about the propsect of being able to read a document that has a lot of historical import within the Aikido community.

Given that, I don't think the post was pointless at all.

Carsten Möllering 05-08-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Jason Casteel wrote: (Post 257103)

No, it is not to be found online. And as far as I know it has never been printed or published in any book or magazine. Even quotations are rare to find.

So I think there are only few people who know this document. Especially here in Europe.
I myself would be very thankful to have the possibility to read the text.

Carsten

David Yap 05-09-2010 09:42 AM

Hi all,

This topic had been discussed before in the Aikido Journal forum.

This is from one of the posters:

I actually read the letter yesterday when an original was found in our dojo archives. It was about 4 pages and was extremely heartfelt. In fact it was dated in April but it was a letter of resignation as Shihan bucho of the aikikai effetive April 30th 1974. It spoke a lot of the history and how it came to a point that he felt ki was being completely neglected in teaching at tokyo HQ. It also spoke of how powerful the Yoshinkan group had become and how he collected money from the USA during his first visit in 1953 to rebuild Aikikai HQ. He told how it was the Nishi kai that invited him to Hawaii to spread aikido and not O'Sensei. Although he did obtain Ueshiba Sensei's approval I am sure.

It spoke about how Yamada Senesi created the USAF and to his dismay became president of the organization. Tohei Senesi felt that an american should be president of the organization. I know Yamada Sensei and Tohei Sensei have since buried the hatchet when yamada sensei went to meet with Tohei Senesi in the 80"s or 90's and donated money to Ki No Kenkyu Kai HQ.

Above all it was an extremely respectful and heartfelt letter.

Link to the post http://www.aikidojournal.com/forums/...9c243354f0884d

Regds
David Y

Carsten Möllering 05-10-2010 01:20 AM

Quote:

David Yap wrote: (Post 257168)

hhmmm ...

I don't find an explanation of the phrase "... I first put down Yoshinkan Aikido .." in that thread?

I don't think it has been questioned that Tohei was invited by the nishi kai?

The letter isn't published there either?

Carsten

Chris Li 05-10-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

David Yap wrote: (Post 257168)
Hi all,

This is from one of the posters:

I actually read the letter yesterday when an original was found in our dojo archives. It was about 4 pages and was extremely heartfelt. In fact it was dated in April but it was a letter of resignation as Shihan bucho of the aikikai effetive April 30th 1974. It spoke a lot of the history and how it came to a point that he felt ki was being completely neglected in teaching at tokyo HQ. It also spoke of how powerful the Yoshinkan group had become and how he collected money from the USA during his first visit in 1953 to rebuild Aikikai HQ. He told how it was the Nishi kai that invited him to Hawaii to spread aikido and not O'Sensei. Although he did obtain Ueshiba Sensei's approval I am sure.

It spoke about how Yamada Senesi created the USAF and to his dismay became president of the organization. Tohei Senesi felt that an american should be president of the organization. I know Yamada Sensei and Tohei Sensei have since buried the hatchet when yamada sensei went to meet with Tohei Senesi in the 80"s or 90's and donated money to Ki No Kenkyu Kai HQ.

Above all it was an extremely respectful and heartfelt letter.

Link to the post http://www.aikidojournal.com/forums/...9c243354f0884d

Regds
David Y

It's been a long time since I read that letter (and I don't have a copy anymore), but as I recall I didn't find the tone nearly as respectful as the poster in the e-Budo thread seemed to.

What I'd really like to see is the response to that letter that was written by Tadashi Abe.

On a side note, there was always some rivalry between the Yoshinkan and the Aikikai as the developed in parallel after the war (Shioda and Kisshomaru were sort of like older and younger brothers in many ways), but I'd note that they managed (and still manage) to maintain close and cordial relations through the years.

Best,

Chris

CurtisK 05-10-2010 12:45 PM

Everyone is right that it is difficult to gauge his intention, but I dont think its that great a leap to consider by "put down Yoshinkan", he means he it put it aside, put it behind him, didnt concentrate on it.