AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Aikido Beginner (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11234)

Joao 11-01-2006 03:25 PM

Aikido Beginner

Hi, i'm new to aikido, i've my first trainning tommorow i'm so happy and nevrous...

Anyone have some advices to give me?

Any advices how to apply aikido out of the dojo like apply it in my life ?

thanks Joćo

Kevin Wilbanks 11-01-2006 03:32 PM

Re: Aikido Beginner

Don't worry too much about the secret initiation ritual, very few people are actually killed and less than 20% suffer permanent injuries. Hope you aren't afraid of poisonous snakes...

Larry Cuvin 11-01-2006 03:34 PM

Hi Joao,
Come with an open mind, relax, and enjoy.

graham 11-01-2006 03:52 PM

This will sound naff, but it was the advice that I was given and it turned out to be spot-on:

Enjoy it!

Also, it's okay to ask any questions that you might have.

RampantWolf 11-02-2006 02:03 AM

I have heard many fighters I know and respect give this same piece of advice so I will pass it on to you.

'Don't eat the yellow snow!'

Seriously though, relax, enjoy and don't get discouraged if it doesn't seem to 'click' instantly... it may take quite a while.

RoyK 11-02-2006 03:20 AM

When a technique is demonstrated, try catching what the instructor is doing with his legs first!

Mark Uttech 11-02-2006 03:26 AM

Go to class. That's the first thing. One thing that has really helped me has been breathing exercises. Breathing in through the nose, breathing out throught the mouth. The focus is on the outbreath. If you use counting, make the outbreath 2 or 3 times as long as the inbreath. It has a wonderful calming effect, and has made all the difference in my aikido practice.

In gassho,
Mark

Jorge Garcia 11-02-2006 06:01 AM

Go to class regularly for 5 years, enjoy yourself, focus on the training, ignore the doubts and fears but deal with the real obstacles and you should be in a better place then when you started.
Best wishes,

SeiserL 11-02-2006 06:12 AM

Relax, breath, and enjoy yourself.

To make the fastest progress, go slow.

Show up here (AikiWeb) and keep an open mind. I have always been impressed by the amount of truly helpful information there is here from some truly dedicated people.

Joao 11-02-2006 08:09 AM

Hi, thanks to everyone for anwsering to my post and for the advices i will apply them ..

and ...

Enjoy aikido the most i can.

Joćo

Joao 11-02-2006 08:11 AM

Quote:

Kevin Wilbanks wrote:
Don't worry too much about the secret initiation ritual, very few people are actually killed and less than 20% suffer permanent injuries. Hope you aren't afraid of poisonous snakes...

Hi, i dont nothing about the secret initiation ritual .. but i'm not afraid i think ..

Joćo

RoyK 11-02-2006 08:26 AM

Quote:

Joćo Pedro Gonēalves wrote:
Hi, i dont nothing about the secret initiation ritual .. but i'm not afraid i think ..

Joćo

Don't worry, he was joking :) The snakes aren't really poisonous!

Joao 11-02-2006 09:18 AM

ahah ok ok xD