AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What is your non-aikido workout? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18045)

OwlMatt 05-01-2010 07:30 AM

What is your non-aikido workout?

I don't have the luxury of a getting full-length martial arts class every single day, but I'm trying to keep in a routine of getting exercise every day. So on days that I don't attend a martial arts class, I like to work out.

Is there a way that you work out (other than practicing aikido or another martial art) that you find compliments your aikido?

Gorgeous George 05-01-2010 08:47 AM

Re: What is your non-aikido workout?

Quote:

Matthew Story wrote: (Post 256820)
I don't have the luxury of a getting full-length martial arts class every single day, but I'm trying to keep in a routine of getting exercise every day. So on days that I don't attend a martial arts class, I like to work out.

Is there a way that you work out (other than practicing aikido or another martial art) that you find compliments your aikido?

Playing football (not American football); i find that being the goalkeeper, having to dive around, having a ball coming at me at high speed, allows me to practice reading another person's intentions, trying to dictate their 'attack' by offering openings, plus moving, reflexes, and ukemi.

SeiserL 05-01-2010 08:51 AM

Skip rope, heavy bag, speed bag, run, bike, swim, lift, and ChiGung.

Kwizxi 05-01-2010 09:02 AM

I'm a Tribal Bellydancer, so I do that. I haven't learned enough about Aikido yet to know whether it really benefits it, but I imagine that the grounded and strong posture of Tribal Bellydance may come in useful. The only problem with it is, that I have a bit of an obsession with where my feet ought to be...

RED 05-01-2010 01:52 PM

I, our Sensei and about 2 other students have been meeting at the dojo to do interval training. It's like military cardio and strength training drills. We add in interval barrel rolls, and round robin randori for the first 30 minutes to kick up the heart rate for the rest of the drills. It sucks, and is hard.... my butt better look like J-Lo's in that wedding dress after this torture or else!!!!

Brian Gillaspie 05-01-2010 03:20 PM

I do the P90X workout. Not sure if you would consider it complimentary to Aikido but it has gotten me in a lot better shape....which helps with my Aikido.

Tinyboy344 05-02-2010 09:52 AM

I just eat a lot.

mathewjgano 05-02-2010 02:32 PM

For me it's soccer...ehem...football! And skiing. I always feel more grounded after a day of controlled falling down a mountain and soccer...er....football, keeps me in shape all around. I was surprised how many non-leg muscles were tired after returning to the pitch.

John Lesko 05-02-2010 02:54 PM

I try to get in at least two strength training workouts each week (read: intense lifting, body-weight exercises, or related lifting and hauling work out of doors). I try to get in at least two cardio-sessions per week (read: jog, bike riding, or a good brisk walk). And I try to get in at least two visits to the dojo each week too.

OwlMatt 05-02-2010 05:44 PM

I never answered my own question. Usually on off days I do a full set of stretches (as if I were starting a class) and then work out on an elliptical machine. I have tried more serious strength training, but I'm not sure it's strictly necessary.

Rob Watson 05-02-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Duy Trinh wrote: (Post 256875)
I just eat a lot.

of beginners.

Seriously, whos got time? Between family ,work and recoup there is barely enough time to sit down and collect my thoughts!

Wearing a weighted vest (40 lbs) while gardening/chasing critters does keep the leg strength up. Gotta have good posture or that vest will take you down. When I'm feeling frisky I'll add a weighted belt (50 lbs) along with the vest and move real deliberate like. Schlepping an extra 90 lbs for a few hours is no joke.

grondahl 05-03-2010 02:25 AM

Strengt training at least 2 times per week, compound movements and free weights; basically the starting strength-program by Rippetoe with some added kettlebell exercises for conditioning.

Running; usually 2 times per week, a little less during the summer since I try to work my mtb out on the local trails as much as possible.

An occasional Ashtanga Yoga-class.

Eva Antonia 05-03-2010 02:48 AM

Well...

having four kids and a house with a lots of stairs provides already exercise enough.
+ going to work by bike
+ going to the weekly market and shop for six by bike

That's enough!
(the result is good condition and leg muscles but no strength whatsoever on the arms...).

Best,

Eva

Shadowfax 05-03-2010 07:40 AM

Horseback riding 3-4 days a week.

bkedelen 05-03-2010 02:06 PM

I think several days a week of CrossFit Football workouts (scaled to your capacity, of course) is an ideal complement to Aikido. CFFB typically employs movements that maximize explosive hip power to accomplish tasks associated with human-on-human conflict in time domains that are typical of such conflict. Such a workout should round out any weaknesses you may be compensating for, and the program will place you far ahead of the average Aikidoka in terms of strength and conditioning.

SeaGrass 05-03-2010 02:40 PM

Aikido is my non-surfing workout.

I try to surf everyday before work if swells and weather permit. It helps with keeping my balance and center, awareness, timing, not fight the ocean but go with it, working on my ukemi when i eat it...:cool:

Surfing and aikido are very similar i think.

lbb 05-04-2010 06:22 AM

If by "workout" you mean a regimen with specific conditioning goals in mind, I don't have one at present. I go back and forth on whether I should. I don't see a lot of point to any conditioning regimen unless you know what it is you want to accomplish: "get in better shape" isn't good enough. Without a specific goal at present, I don't see the need for a "workout" (and I'm definitely short of time in which I could do one).

chillzATL 05-04-2010 07:13 AM

p90x cardio workouts a few times per week

I also try to spend 30-60 minutes per day standing, breathing and pushing/pulling on things, in addition to a few other "things".

Lulu 05-04-2010 01:01 PM

Yoga and walking. :)

Adam Huss 05-10-2010 10:01 PM

To get in shape for nidan shinsa I did bootcamp classes 3x a week at a local YMCA, Spinning class 1x a week at the YMCA, ran about 3 times a week, did P90X workouts about 2x a week, and attended martial arts classes (mostly aikido) about 5-6 times a week.

Andrew Macdonald 05-11-2010 10:25 PM

qi gong, bagua, circuit training, and going back to karate style workout soon

Mikemac 05-11-2010 10:39 PM

Yoga, weightlifting, and running 2 miles a couple times a week.

Adam Huss 05-11-2010 11:10 PM

Hey, for the runners....

Running distance pervasively is really great for the heart and lungs...and health overall (as long as you don't run so much you jack up your joints).

For people looking for more direct benefit to high aerobic aikido practices...try doing hills and sprints, or at least interval and fartlek runs. Going out to leisurely job 2-3 miles at a time is a great workout but it won't increase your gas tank too much for randori or some similar highly enthusiastic aikido-related activity. If one is training for something specific, often a great way to prepare for it is to imitate the actions ocurring during that event. So for an aikido test, vigorous sessions where you breakfall and get back up off the mat are really great.
best to all!

Phil Van Treese 05-17-2010 12:50 PM

Non-aikido workout for me is judo, Gun range and ballroom dancing.

cguzik 05-17-2010 01:27 PM

Ashtanga yoga primary and second series.