AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   martial dreaming (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4506)

Paula Lydon 10-10-2003 05:04 PM

martial dreaming

~~Hi All!

* About once a week I dream training. Completely out of any storeyline context, just me and whomever training on the mat. It's always just me and a (usually) faceless partner, and the lighting is low and sometimes there's not even a mat, or a dojo. Just the movement. If I'm out of practice for a week or more--sick, injured--the dream training can occur nearly every night. My legs and hands probably twitch in my sleep like a dog chasing a rabbit!

* Anyone else? :D
* Am I actually admitting this? :blush:
* Maybe just dreaming it...

ChristianBoddum 10-10-2003 05:33 PM

Hi !

Usually my dream dojo is filled to the brim

and I'm late or my belt keeps messin' up,

must be mư schisma,otherwise it's usually good !

kironin 10-10-2003 09:08 PM

Re: martial dreaming

I can't remember the last time I had a dream involving aikido.

Not sure what that means.

May be this a poll question for Jun. :D

Craig

TomanGaidin 10-11-2003 10:58 AM

The only time I can really recall having a dream involving aikido, it was.. uh, me grabbing someone's wrist and putting on sankyo, on the footpath outside my house. I can't really remember /why/, exactly... most probably one of those random dream things.. I'm not a violent person, honest! :P

pointy 10-12-2003 01:19 PM

i dream about aikido all the time. it's a great thing, enjoy it :) happens to me with music too (im a musician during the day).

and yeah it also happens to me more when im not training as often as usual. happened last night in fact.

peace

evan

tedehara 10-12-2003 02:35 PM

Re: martial dreaming

Quote:

Paula Lydon wrote:
~~Hi All!

* About once a week I dream training. Completely out of any storeyline context, just me and whomever training on the mat. It's always just me and a (usually) faceless partner, and the lighting is low and sometimes there's not even a mat, or a dojo. Just the movement. If I'm out of practice for a week or more--sick, injured--the dream training can occur nearly every night. My legs and hands probably twitch in my sleep like a dog chasing a rabbit!

* Anyone else? :D

* Am I actually admitting this? :blush:

* Maybe just dreaming it...

I don't dream at all. I discovered the time was better used for sleeping.

:o Yawn

Lan Powers 10-14-2003 12:34 AM

I recently had a dream where I injured ( I thought) a friend showing a technique. well, actually play/wrestling with my bud. Scared the stuff out of me!

Tonight, he mock punched me......so I just moved. *shrug*

Maybe I missed injuring a friend this way.

Lan

:rolleyes:

P.S. In dreams it isn;t usually training, but fighting off the mugger/killer/psycho/mutant of my dream.

:confused:

Lan

Charles 10-15-2003 12:02 PM

Yesterday evening we worked a entire hour with shinai. Last night I dreamed that I was a swordsman. Oddly enough, I wore a katana upon my back like Nasir in the Robin of Sherwood TV series - except that I didn't seen to have a second sword. No more weapons work just before bed for me.

Pretoriano 10-15-2003 09:11 PM

Once a good friend said he d were sleeping and he woke up inside his dream and while sit on his bed someone came from his right side and gave him a box with some tools and weapons inside it.

He doesnt train nimpo nor wacth television

I failed to help him to decipher it.

Pretoriano

gi_grrl 10-17-2003 10:49 PM

I fight in my sleep all the time. Not training, fighting bad guys with knives and other weapons. Sometimes I do aikido, sometimes I can fly out of their reach (yay - superme). I wake bathed in sweat and twitching with energy, rapid pulse, fast breathing.

My boyfriends thinks it very weird.

Paula Lydon 10-18-2003 08:23 AM

~~Hi Fiona,

All through my 20's I would lash out in my sleep--feeling attacked, stalked, paranoid. Somewhat unsettling for my husband as he'd be brought to full wakefullness by a knee, fist or elbow. He probably got more intense MA training than I! As I aged, grew into my adult life and worked through many of the traumas of my past (i.e. matured) these 'attacks' abated and finally vanished. Are there things you need to work on?

Just a thought. Take care :)

markwalsh 10-18-2003 10:18 AM

I had a dream... that one day people in white and black would play together.

And they did, cool. God bless MLK.

ChristianBoddum 10-18-2003 11:27 AM

Hi !

Yesterdays night I dreamt that I was uke to

Sean Connery !

And he was tough !

As usual I was a cluts getting in line,and

a senior japanese held me back,and I had to

apologise (gomen nasai - of course !).

L. Camejo 10-19-2003 02:58 PM

Anyone ever dreamt that they were visited or trained with Ueshiba M. or the originator of their particular style, i.e. Tomiki K., Tohei K., Shioda G. etc.?

Happened to me on 2 separate occasions, weird stuff man.

L.C.:ai::ki:

Upstanding Dragon 10-20-2003 05:34 PM

Dreaming of Martial Arts

Hello all,

Those are interesting dreams! Must have Aikido buzzing around in your mind as you're going to sleep. Well, thats just one idea, could mean anything, very interesting though.

I often dream of martial arts, I dreamt I was groundfighting a couple of nights ago, and everything flowed beautifully, can even remember the techniques.

A little while ago, I dreamt of Police officers restraining some people on the ground, with an armlock, in which the arm is levered on the policemen's legs. In the dream, the police were from an older era in Britain, and I remember thinking to myself in the dream, "wow, this is impressive skills, didn't realise police knew how to do that back then"

Its interesting dreaming of techniques and principles, sometimes, its when you drift off to sleep, that state of half conciusness, you dream of things, especially after a busy day training, or a seminar or something.

Sometimes you can dream of something, you think is important, but can't remember when you awake :)

Always fascinated by stories of martial artists dreaming of principles of their founding arts and other things, wonderful.

Thanks, best wishes

Stefan

Robyn Johnson 10-24-2003 05:56 PM

Here are a few that I've had in the 3 years since starting Aikido---

1. We have a low ceiling in our dojo with uncovered light bulbs hanging even lower. We're always told to watch the lights during bokken practice. One time, I dreamt that I accidentally hit an (non-existent) electrical box and killed the lights in the whole building! My sensei didn't look very happy!

2. I dreamt I arrived at class but I couldn't get my shoes off for some reason and class was starting without me! By the time I finally did get my shoes off, I had to put them back on because I realized I left my Gi in the car! (That's a little like those school dreams about coming to class and you realize you forgot to get dressed)

3. Both times when I had a testing coming up, I had a lot of dreams of my sensei coming to me and saying with a sigh, "Robyn, you have to practice more!" I woke up and I did!

4. I had just ordered my hakama and I was very excited to receive it! That night I had a very funny dream about riding somewhere in a car and seeing on the sidewalk, everyone in my dojo who wears a hakama. However, instead of wearing the hakama like usual, they were all wearing Scottish Kilts!!! Somehow the Kilt was suddenly going to be a part of our traditional Aikido wear. I woke up in momentary horror because I thought I'd never be able to wear my new hakama now and I didn't want to wear a kilt but then I laughed because it was so funny seeing my sensei and the other men wearing them!!! Nice legs, guys!

5. A more serious dream was that I dreamed that my brother was getting violent again but I used Aikido on him and held him down until he got his senses back. And in my dream, all my fellow students suddenly appeared and congratulated me! But then my sensei was suddenly in front of me saying how proud he was of me! I woke up with such an incredibly happy feeling!

That last one really happened in real life, by the way. Including my sensei saying that he was proud of me but it obviously meant so much to me that dreamt it all happening again but in a different way. I suppose that could be an example of how a sensei can either lift you up or tear you down. (My sensei has never ruthlessly torn me down.)

Robyn : )

indomaresa 10-26-2003 07:10 AM

never thought I'd hear people talking about aikido dreams in this forum.

I've discussed my aikido dreams with friends, and vice versa but they're mostly weird dreams.

I've had one where the annoying philosophy teacher at my uni suddenly appeared at the dojo as a stand-in for my sensei, wearing hakama and all. Damn he's good.

Also another is where I accidentally did a super painful nikkyo, and Steven Seagal suddenly appears beside me saying; pain is good! Pain is good!

And I didn't even like his movies!

Jeanne Shepard 10-26-2003 09:21 AM

I just realized I NEVER have Aikido dreams, and now I'm feeling deprived. But maybe I just don't have any emotional conflicts about my training.(Hah!)

Jeanne

Paula Lydon 10-27-2003 07:10 AM

~~Okay, had this one last night and figure it was strongly influenced by the 3 day seminar I'd just finished with Saotome shihan:

I was in our dojo and the mat was FULL! Saotome sensei was showing something, then we all got up to practice. Slowly at first, but everyone's movements increased in speed until all were moving so quickly they were leaving these blurry, tracking images behind them. But the room moved at one at this high speed! Until we appeared to be one fuzzy, throbbing, undulating mass. One entity breathing.

Then sensei clapped and the roomful of people immediately stopped. Wham! Dead stop. We all knelt and sensei led a brief meditation, the room lit only by three candles...then one by one he snuffed them out. Each time a candle went the room became darker and I felt it expanding beyond the physical walls. When the final candle went out there was dead silence and utter darkness; the floor dropped out from under me and there was no dojo. I felt that sensei was about to start chanting as there was already a silent vibration building up around and inside of me--

And then my alarm went off!!!!! Had to hop up and share my dream with you all before I spaced it :)

batemanb 10-27-2003 07:54 AM

Quote:

Larry Camejo (L. Camejo) wrote:
Anyone ever dreamt that they were visited or trained with Ueshiba M. or the originator of their particular style, i.e. Tomiki K., Tohei K., Shioda G. etc.?

Happened to me on 2 separate occasions, weird stuff man.

L.C.:ai::ki:

Had this happen to me twice. Once on a trip to Japan when I was struggling with "do I do the technique the way I know, or the way I'm being shown". O Sensei popped up in a dream that night, walked towards me and said in English "just do it naturally". The second time occured later when I was living in Japan, I can't remember the dream. Both times were a little freaky though.

Regards

Bryan

actoman 10-27-2003 05:04 PM

It always seems to happen after training. When i go to bed that evening, I dream I am in a fight, a real fight, with a gang of people. The Amazing part of this is that I feel 'more calm' during the fight, but still like I am physically exerting. A taste of things to come.

Bronson 10-28-2003 09:02 AM

Quote:

Jeanne Shepard wrote:
I just realized I NEVER have Aikido dreams, and now I'm feeling deprived. But maybe I just don't have any emotional conflicts about my training.(Hah!)

Jeanne

Same here...oh well, back to the mat :rolleyes:

Bronson

gi_grrl 10-30-2003 03:26 AM

Quote:

Paula Lydon wrote:
~~Hi Fiona,

All through my 20's I would lash out in my sleep--feeling attacked, stalked, paranoid. Somewhat unsettling for my husband as he'd be brought to full wakefullness by a knee, fist or elbow. He probably got more intense MA training than I! As I aged, grew into my adult life and worked through many of the traumas of my past (i.e. matured) these 'attacks' abated and finally vanished. Are there things you need to work on?

Just a thought. Take care :)

Hi Paula,

Hmmm. Mostly I'm not feeling paranoid - I usually end up the victor in my dreams, alhtough I often use my super flying powers! I think its just like training in my sleep with dream-like "realities". Like when I'm studying, I pursue problems in my sleep, dreaming that I'm still working on them. I often end up revisiting parts of my day in my sleep, so its not surprising that I revisit my aikido when I train 2/3 times a week.

My puppy growls and barks in his sleep too - and he's been happy and well cared for all his life.

Ta for the suggestions, tho'

Fiona.