AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Spiritual (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Yin Yang and Aikido (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483)

MarcRaeymaekers 01-04-2001 03:33 PM

All the practionners have already heard something about Yin-Yang polarity. But does your teacher explains somewhat of this matter in aikido? Have you heard someone explains to you and your friends the application of this polarization in the practice of everyday?
Yes? No?

Marc Raeymaekers
Brussels - Belgium (Europa)

jin 01-10-2001 03:43 PM

Yes, yin and yang allows you to anticipate your opponent. Yin and Yang explains differences between two entities. In a white room, it is easy to see a black chair sitting there, but in a black room, you cannot see the chair. The same applies to you and your opponent. If your mind is empty and your technique pure, you will easily be able to see your opponents intentions because his/her thoughts and movements stick out in comparison to your own.

cguzik 01-12-2001 02:38 PM

Yin and Yang

I've heard them equated to kokyu:

Yin is like inhaling
Yang is like exhaling

Two polarities of a continuing cycle, which you must be in touch with in order to blend with your partner.

Chris Guzik

MarcRaeymaekers 01-29-2001 06:23 PM

Ok jin I know what is Yin Yang. My question was just to know if your teacher explain this in the practice of aikido (or in an other practice).

cguzik: only in kokyu-nage?? Are you sure?

jin 02-02-2001 10:20 AM

Quote:

MarcRaeymaekers wrote:
Ok jin I know what is Yin Yang. My question was just to know if your teacher explain this in the practice of aikido (or in an other practice).

And my answer was, yes. That is what I was told. You can use it to anticipate your opponent's move, or blend with it :)

cguzik 02-05-2001 09:36 AM

Quote:

MarcRaeymaekers wrote:

Actually, I was referring to kokyu in the more generic sense, as breath-energy. In this context I would say kokyu is part of all aikido, not just the particular throw we call kokyu-nage. In this way yin and yang are also part of all aikido... the study of giving and receiving.

Chris Guzik

ian 02-12-2001 08:13 AM

I have heard yin/yang a lot in aikido and it makes perfect sense to me to consider it during practise. As we all know, it is very difficult to deal with a weak attack. The stronger (yin) an attack is the easier it is to overcome it with gentleness (yang). Also, if you wish to initiate a response you need to be aggressive (yin), and then most people try to respond with an aggresive (yin) response, at which point you can then change to yang. Make sense?

Tai-chi Chuan is very definately ties in with yin and yang, and at a recent push-hands game I could really feel the yin and yang and the way that a persons force can be taken advantage of. Ueshiba is said to have the view of 'I am the universe' and that he had attained harmony with it and, like the universe, disharmony (e.g. through an attack) was dealt with by him in a natural manner through the tendancy of the universe to restore balance. That is why aikido as an ideal is undefeatable.

Ian