AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements & Feedback (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ignore feature, not very Aiki (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2462)

Bruce Baker 08-27-2002 06:51 AM

Ignore feature, not very Aiki

I have gotten a couple of emails as to why I have so many ignores in the ignore feature?

Bit too harsh? Words grinding in open wounds?

Or merely the superfluous overviews without seeking the meaning in the body of the post?

How Aiki like is it to take words, interpret them in the context of you knowledge, without seeing the multifaceted value of them?

Aikido is like that. O'Sensei talked about love saving the world, and bringing harmony to the world, what did he mean?

In three or four different students of O'Sensei, they all agreed that he meant the personal allignment of each person with their religion and god would cause each person to be charitable, and that person would be open to the harmony of others seeking peace by being alligned in harmony to their own spirit an religion ... not this mushy you learn my ways and my religion to be alligned with my way of harmony.

How Aiki is the person who uses the "Ignore" feature of the Aikiweb?

How might we help each other to understand the differences of two parties who opted to create the barrier, rather than to merely learn to live within the same Aikido community by having them each bend a bit to ease the tension?

DaveO 08-27-2002 07:19 AM

Bruce, the 'Ignore' button doesn't have anything to do with Aikido. It has to do with the attitudes of the people on this forum, which can be far different then their attitudes on the mat. People who write rude, insulting messages deserve to be ignored, so do those who actively try to disrupt honest threads on the forum. Neither of these apply here, I was just trying to set the stage.

If a person gets ignored by many users, it's a sure bet that that person should take a look at his own post to discover why he's insulting/annoying them.

I'm currently ignored by one person. I wish I knew who it was and why I was ignored, so I could either apologise or explain my position.

I know you don't see it youself, Bruce, but to many people on the forum, your posts appear to be pretentious, pompous and insultingly condecending at times. You often have a seriously 'holier than thou' attitude in your posts that make people's hair stand on end. That's a shame, since you often have some very good points, once the reader slices through the superior philosopical ramblings. THAT's the reason people are ignoring you, not for any imagined lack of 'aikido principles', although if you wish to look at such principles, once again I'd look at your own posts first before throwing stones.

Personally, I don't have you or anyone 'Ignored', I never will. I don't particularly like reading your posts (sorry, Bruce, but this IS a time of total honesty), but you have a lot of good to say; it's not WHAT you say, it's how you say it.

I'm willing to bet that in real life, you're nothing like your image on the forum, so why not quit preaching and just talk? If you want to preach, perhaps you could start with: "Friends, I'm going to preach on this one..." Stop taking yourself so seriously in your posts; everyone involved - you and your readers - will have a better time for it.

This is all, of course, my opinion. Sorry to be so blunt about it, but you did ask; sometimes (and I hope this is one of them) being blunt is the best policy.

Dave

Bruce Baker 08-27-2002 07:31 AM

Thanks Dave, BUT I wasn't too interested in personal applications to myself, even though I seem to be the champion of the IGNORE feature.

I took it more to be a self examination of your own reasons for using this feature, how your emotions spur you to see something as pompous or holier than thou, because of your conditioning in society?

I guess I prefer to be the mad street prophet who speaks the dreams of truth, but only other madmen understand or at least sympthasize.

No ... there is a deeper lesson to be learned in examining your own convictions to maintain your bubble of safety, your grasp of understanding, and the words transfered in writing as emotional or non emotional.

The ignore feature is sometime Aiki, but without some roughness, some discomfort, what would you base comfort and peace upon?

Yep, I like blunt, it get the truth out quickest and finds a happy solution.

IrimiTom 08-27-2002 08:10 AM

honestly Bruce, what do you smoke? I mean I know a lot of people who would like to try it....

to answer your question, and I do it for the other people in the forum, cause I know you won't read it or give a damn, to ignore your or anyone else's posts is VERY aiki. Whatever it is that annoys those 28 people who have you in their ignore lists, they are stepping off the line and letting you fall flat on your face or ass when you direct your words towards them.

To Dave: I'm a student still on break... I got some time to lose, but you work and train pretty hard, don't even try to do anything about this, trust me.... too many people have, that is why there IS an ignore feature in the first place...

DaveO 08-27-2002 08:14 AM

Yeah, but I had to try.

Greg Jennings 08-27-2002 08:36 AM

Bruce, a wise man once told me that a hard head makes for a tender fanny. Your fanny must be exceedingly tender!

Sincerely,

SeiserL 08-27-2002 08:45 AM

Re: Ignore feature, not very Aiki

Quote:

Bruce Baker wrote:
How Aiki is the person who uses the "Ignore" feature of the Aikiweb?

IMHO, its like "getting off the line" and not letting the uke/nage's attack touch me, Its like they are not there.

BTW, I tend not to ignore, but try to choose wisely who and what I respond to.

Some ones once said it is better to be silent and thought a fool ("mad prophet") than to speak up and remove all doubt.

I like to think and be tested by reistance. I believe it strenghtens my waza.

Until again,

Lynn