AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Gi pants leg and sleeve (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24241)

Steve Gegner 04-03-2015 09:42 AM

Gi pants leg and sleeve

We would like to set standards for gi pants leg and sleeve lengths at our Aikido dojo. I can find those for Judo, but none for Aikido. Also hakama clearances from floor would be appreciated. Please feel free to contribute!

sakumeikan 04-03-2015 10:31 AM

Re: Gi pants leg and sleeve

Quote:

Stephen Gegner wrote: (Post 343052)
We would like to set standards for gi pants leg and sleeve lengths at our Aikido dojo. I can find those for Judo, but none for Aikido. Also hakama clearances from floor would be appreciated. Please feel free to contribute!

Dear Stephen,
Get a catalogue of kit sizes from a retailer.Hakama clearance from the floor??If you trip over the hakama its too long, if you have the hakama hem tucked around /up to your knees / calf the hakama is too short.Whats the problem?A tip dont let a big guy wear a tight gi or short hakama, same goes in reverse for a dwarf, no large gi , no long hakamas.There you problem is solved.Cheers Joe

Janet Rosen 04-03-2015 01:18 PM

Quote:

May I ask why?

Steve Gegner 04-03-2015 01:44 PM

I am tired of seeing people with their gi pants dragging the ground. For me it is appearance, for our sensei it is safety. Likewise I don't like seeing hakamas dragging the ground, nor do I like seeing gi pants hanging below the hakama (it is visual distraction). Sensei asked that I write a memo to to the group. Therefore I would like to set standards - judo has them, why don't we? Input would be appreciated.

Brian Gillaspie 04-03-2015 02:03 PM

I don't practice judo but as I understand the judo requirements apply because of competition. I believe BJJ has similar rules. I trained at a BJJ school for a while and wore my aikido gi top which had sleeves that would have been to short for a competition. However they didn't really care what you wore to class to train.

sakumeikan 04-03-2015 03:39 PM

Quote:

Stephen Gegner wrote: (Post 343055)
I am tired of seeing people with their gi pants dragging the ground. For me it is appearance, for our sensei it is safety. Likewise I don't like seeing hakamas dragging the ground, nor do I like seeing gi pants hanging below the hakama (it is visual distraction). Sensei asked that I write a memo to to the group. Therefore I would like to set standards - judo has them, why don't we? Input would be appreciated.

Dear Stephen,
Ok , you made a point about distractions caused by gi showing below hakama.Just tell your guys to cut a bit off the length of the pants, gi sleeves and either sew the kit themselves or go to an alteration shop. its not rocket science. joe.

kewms 04-03-2015 05:11 PM

When purchasing a hakama, one typically measures from the waist to the knob of one's ankle. There will be a little variation in final length from that depending on how it's tied. And one would then set the gi pants length a little shorter than that.

With that said, if a student can't figure out for themselves that pants dragging the ground are dangerous, you may have an awareness issue that needs to be addressed, too.

Katherine

JP3 04-03-2015 06:38 PM

Quote:

...um... why?

Do you have a problem with people coming in wearing cut-offs or something?

You do know why those lengths are mandated in judo, right? It's for competitive advantage control, to level the playing field, etc. Unless you'r doing something unusual for an aikido school (no-Tomiki competitions, I get it) what's the reason?

crbateman 04-04-2015 06:23 AM

I can now see the first 10 minutes of each class devoted to careful measurement of everyone's apparel... ;)

Steve Gegner 04-04-2015 08:13 AM

Thanks, people!

JP3 04-04-2015 04:28 PM

OK, I just wanted to make sure it's really about aesthetics for you, which is what it sounded like from the first post.

It is called a "hem." Any tailor/seamstress in town learned to do that from his/her mom when they first started to learn to sew. If your Sensei is concerned about safety, have him institute the IJF rules on judo pants (no cuffs, pants cannot break over the top of the foot) and that takes care of that. Just ask Sensei to make a dojo rule that conforms to something like that and bar the mat to folks who violate it. TIP: Let people know the rule is inbound, typically a month's warning is more than enough.

On your issue with how things look..... and things being distracting.... can't help you with that. Sometimes the point of class is to deal with distractions.

phitruong 04-05-2015 12:38 PM

Quote:

Brian Gillaspie wrote: (Post 343056)
However they didn't really care what you wore to class to train.

i am sure they would care if you show up to class wearing only zebra thong and said lets wrestle! :)

phitruong 04-05-2015 12:56 PM

methink, martial arts retailers conspired against "posterior vertical challenged" folks, i.e. folks who have a stable base (it's all about that bass!). i noticed if the gi pants fit my ass, then it's too long. i would need to be on some sort of stilts. if the jacket fit my shoulders, then the sleeves can shelter some third world country, and the waist can canvas a few first world nation. most places won't let you order jacket size different from pant size. and i don't know why they don't put zipper on the guys gi pants, like bujin used to do it, along with the velcro for fast-on-fast-off, because there are times when we need the damn thing off really fast. lately, i am thinking of go commando under my hakama, since summer is here in the states, and it's pretty hot and humid here.

now, if folks distracted by my clothing, then i said "great! you won't see me open a can of whoop-ass on you, because you are too busy looking at my skirt!" warfare tactics is all about deception.

JP3 04-06-2015 06:54 PM

PhiTruong..... makes me grin.

I love, just love the phrase "Open a can of whoop-ass" I have to say. I use it myself, now & again.

But, fits the shoulders means it works to clothe a third world country? Dude, you like T-Rex?