AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Body Type (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22018)

MM 11-29-2012 07:47 AM

Body Type

I'm quoting from another thread because the subject I'm introducing here is different.

Quote:

Mark Johnston wrote: (Post 319844)
O-sensei looked like a pit-bull when he was younger (that is under 60), he must have worked out.

Quote:

Christopher Li wrote: (Post 319849)
Sure, there's nothing wrong with it - it's just tricky to work with the internal stuff. Perhaps I should have said "it's tricky enough that I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who's really interested in Internal work" until they get to a certain point in their training.

Best,

Chris

Let me preface this by stating I agree with Chris completely. Having said that ...

I've been wondering lately about the body style of IP/aiki people.

In certain areas, a person's body is more of an inverted pyramid. A whole lot of upper body strength that is not proportional to the lower body. Pro weight lifters sometimes showcase this kind of body.

On the flip side, we hear about Chinese arts where it's supposed to be a pyramid, with the lower part of the body (legs mostly) which should be highly developed but not being proportional to the upper body.

Ueshiba's self portrait seems to take a third road. If we look at Ueshiba after his Daito ryu training, he portrayed himself as having muscles in the upper body with a large belly. I'd guess that his lower body (legs mostly) was just as developed.

If we look to the A-UN statues, we see something similar, except not as large a belly as Ueshiba portrayed. Ueshiba could have been portraying how his dantien felt relative to his body, thus giving him a larger belly in the painting.

Do we have a body that's sort of two pyramids, one upper, one lower, all connected by a large dantien? Two triangles, with tips touching and a circle connecting both?

phitruong 11-29-2012 08:56 AM

Re: Body Type

Quote:

Mark Murray wrote: (Post 319870)
Do we have a body that's sort of two pyramids, one upper, one lower, all connected by a large dantien? Two triangles, with tips touching and a circle connecting both?

pyramid bottom, inverted pyramid top, sphere in the middle?

MM 11-29-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Phi Truong wrote: (Post 319876)
pyramid bottom, inverted pyramid top, sphere in the middle?

Yeah.

Cliff Judge 11-29-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Mark Murray wrote: (Post 319870)
If we look to the A-UN statues, we see something similar, except not as large a belly as Ueshiba portrayed.

Which ones are you referring to?

mathewjgano 11-29-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Cliff Judge wrote: (Post 319883)
Which ones are you referring to?

I'm guessing he means the ones on Chris Li's blog describing reverse breathing (humanoid; not komainu).

Chris Li 11-29-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Matthew Gano wrote: (Post 319897)
I'm guessing he means the ones on Chris Li's blog describing reverse breathing (humanoid; not komainu).

And here they are! There were different statues in part 2.

Best,

Chris

mathewjgano 11-29-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Christopher Li wrote: (Post 319899)

Best,

Chris

I was just searching through your blog for those! Thanks, Chris!

Cliff Judge 11-29-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Christopher Li wrote: (Post 319899)

Best,

Chris

Oh yeah! The ones at Horyuji. Those look particularly martial, although I am given to understand that there is no martial gravitas or character to the temple. There were a few buddhas at the Sanjusangendo in Kyoto who had some interesting body types.

Mert Gambito 11-30-2012 12:46 PM

Seems the choice of shape for the dou in most samurai armor -- barrel shaped vs. upside down pyramid -- says a lot, particular this type (i.e. nio-dou -- why aren't these the features of a muscular young stud if the armor is meant to project a sense of martial power on the battlefield?):

Mert