AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Belt Washing and Embroidery (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7140)

roblaw 12-14-2004 11:26 AM

Belt Washing and Embroidery

I was in my dojo's dressing room, and I noticed that the yudanshas' belts have embroidery on them.

This got me thinking about what happened to my belt when I washed it - it shrunk about 5 inches or so. If it were a black belt with embroidery, wouldn't the shrinking ruin the embroidery?

I know that there are a few threads about washing belts, but none of them address this specific issue. Thanks!

Janet Rosen 12-14-2004 11:42 AM

Re: Belt Washing and Embroidery

Good question! If I were making the things, I'd insist on either prewashed fabric for the belt or else prewash the belt before applying embroidery. Could you ask one of the folks wearing one, and let us know?

aikidoc 12-14-2004 12:02 PM

Probably won't shrink if you don't throw it in the drier and instead hang it to dry. Mine has not.

siwilson 12-14-2004 12:24 PM

DONīT WASH YOUR BELT!!!! :p

Why wash it? You donīt sweat on it, so it doesnīt need washing!!!! Forget the importance of it holding your energy ... it doesnīt get dirty! Mine has never been washed in 5 years I have had this belt and it is not dirty, smelly, or anything else that is unpleasent.

Just donīt wash it! :)

aikidoc 12-14-2004 12:31 PM

Sorry Si. I'm in Texas where it gets pretty hot. If I don't wash mine once in a while it gets a salt ring. :)

John Boswell 12-14-2004 12:36 PM

Quote:

If I don't wash mine once in a while it gets a salt ring.
True story! Very icky too, I might add.

And you wonder why I volunteer others to take ukemi instead of me? HUH!

/duck
/hide
/runs away laughing :D

Johan Nielsen 12-14-2004 01:09 PM

There's a story at my dojo about a dude who never washed his gi. It was so full of salt it could stand by itself. Now that's a lot of sweat! Maybe he didn't notice the salt because the gi was white?

About the belt there's a saying that if one washes ones belt you wash away your knowledge. Long time ago there where no colors on the belt. Only a white belt that gradually got darker because of all the dirt. When it was it was so dirty it was almost black a new belt was given - a black one. This may be old stories without relevance today, but they might still be fun to know anyway.

Kevin Masters 12-14-2004 01:13 PM

Ok, not to get involved in the belt washing is bad discussion, again...

I have an embroidered white belt. With the exception of the black fading to brown because of the use of bleach, I haven't noticed any distortion of the embroidery.
I kind of wonder how you lost 5 inches in the wash. I wash in cold water, hang-dry (assuming I wash my belt which I would never do :D).

I work as an embroidery digitizer so I've had a lot of experience with the stuff. It's no more likely to get screwed up as it is if it were on a typical garment.

bkedelen 12-14-2004 02:13 PM

In addition to wondering what would happen if I wash my belt, I wonder what would happen if I urinate on it, or use it to wipe the oil dipstick in my car. Just three more things I will never find out about...

Qatana 12-14-2004 02:34 PM

I do Hand Ejbroidery and I don'tt hink it should be a problem if the belt is already pre-shrunk. I've embroidered a few belts and eventually, if you wash it a lot, it Will start to come undone,so I recommend you hand wash your belt after applying a patch or direct embroidery.

siwilson 12-14-2004 02:59 PM

Quote:

Kevin Masters wrote:
I kind of wonder how you lost 5 inches......?

Stopped being excited? :D

Donīt wash your belt, there is no need! I know people on the equator that donīt need to wash their belt, so then you donīt, unless of course you are a huge fat mess that can pass sweat hrough a thick gi on to a thick Obi!!!!

Noel 12-14-2004 03:18 PM

Quote:

Si Wilson wrote:
Donīt wash your belt, there is no need!

Gee Si, I thought you Brits were a civilized lot. After all, it wouldn't be proper to have a clean dogi and soiled belt whilst one was sipping one's tea, now?

Chris Li 12-14-2004 04:59 PM

Quote:

Si Wilson wrote:
Donīt wash your belt, there is no need! I know people on the equator that donīt need to wash their belt, so then you donīt, unless of course you are a huge fat mess that can pass sweat hrough a thick gi on to a thick Obi!!!!

I'm not at all fat, and I don't train on the equator, but I almost always sweat through to the obi through a double weight judo-gi. But I suppose that it depends on how you train :).

Best,

Chris

siwilson 12-14-2004 05:19 PM

Well I train Yoshinkan an to the extreme - as in muscle pain. I have never left my belt smelly though, and that is with 3 weeks intensive training in Malaysia 3 and a half years ago under Master Thamby Rajah and Sensei Joe Thambu! If your belt was giong to get smelly, that was the time!

Maybe you are just a smelly, sweaty mess!!!!!!

:D

Noel 12-14-2004 05:30 PM

Muscle pain doesn't mean you're working hard. Just that you're either exerting yourself for a change or doing something unusual. Besides, a little sweat never hurt. Anyway, when your belt sits in a bag with your sweaty dogi top and pants, it'll pick up some funk.

Do us all a favor and wash the thing.

maikerus 12-14-2004 09:39 PM

Quote:

Noel Kurth wrote:
Do us all a favor and wash the thing.

Blasphemy! <sigh>

What happened to all the good old traditions? I guess Aikido today isn't like it was. ;)

mugen 12-14-2004 10:35 PM

one of my belts was 30 plus years old, majority was in Japan - very humid and no A/C. I've never washed it. it doesn't smell. But, I had to retire it because it was disintegrated and I gained weight. if you must wash it, how about dry cleaning it as a last resort?
rich

Bronson 12-15-2004 12:32 AM

I just hold mine out the window as I drive home...airs out quite nicely :D

Bronson

ruthmc 12-15-2004 02:53 AM

Quote:

Si Wilson wrote:
Why wash it? You donīt sweat on it, so it doesnīt need washing!!!! Forget the importance of it holding your energy ... it doesnīt get dirty! Mine has never been washed in 5 years I have had this belt and it is not dirty, smelly, or anything else that is unpleasent.

Yeeuk!

Either your sweat glands or your nose has packed up! Even if you don't reckon you sweat, other folk do and you may be landing in their puddles from time to time, so yes, your belt does get dirty. Perhaps a lab analysis would convince you?

Ruth

Bridge 12-15-2004 06:36 AM

Thanks people, I am currently trying to eat my lunch when I stumble upon this thread. I am now getting gagging sensations from the accounts of salt rings and crusted up sweat on obis and gis.

I have managed to machine wash (but not dry) belts in the past and pull them back into shape whilst damp.

Kevin Masters 12-15-2004 07:53 AM

Quote:

Bridget Chung wrote:
Thanks people, I am currently trying to eat my lunch when I stumble upon this thread. I am now getting gagging sensations from the accounts of salt rings and crusted up sweat on obis and gis.

If that's not bad enough, how about "body soil"? Here in the states we have a commercial on teevee scaring everyone into using their washing product because you might be sleeping on body-soil encrusted bedclothes!

Mmm. Body soil...:yuck:
http://www.cloroxlaundry.com/le_why.shtml

j0nharris 12-15-2004 08:44 AM

Quote:

Johan Martensson wrote:
About the belt there's a saying that if one washes ones belt you wash away your knowledge.

Dear old Dad used to impart knowledge with a belt!
:D

JayRhone 12-16-2004 02:30 PM

Move to Utah. Dry desert, no sweat, lots of green jello though. :crazy: Heheheh. -Jay

siwilson 12-16-2004 03:35 PM

Quote:

Ruth McWilliam wrote:
Yeeuk!

Either your sweat glands or your nose has packed up! Even if you don't reckon you sweat, other folk do and you may be landing in their puddles from time to time, so yes, your belt does get dirty. Perhaps a lab analysis would convince you?

Ruth

Ruth

No Yuck! It is fine!

And to others, having gone through the cross training bit where I ran 5 miles a day and then the fad of weight lifting to be over the magic 200 lbs lean, I know what working hard is! If I weat, and I īdonīt easily. it is because I am working my arse off!

I do sweat doing our Kihon Dosa, and then technique there after. O invite you to smell my Obi! I does not smell! My Gi on the other hand needs plenty of washing! One use only!

Noel, you ainīt even close (to quote a film I canīt remeber the name of)! :D

Best wishes,

Si

Noel 12-16-2004 05:29 PM

Quote:

Si Wilson wrote:
Noel, you ainīt even close (to quote a film I canīt remeber the name of)! :D

Best wishes,

Si

No kidding, I ain't even close! With a stench like that... Pheeew! I've smelt sweeter skunks. :p

Seriously though, keep your belt white as possible. When some legend (in his own mind) offers to tutor you at a seminar, well, the look on their face when you do an eye-popping nikkyo is absolutely priceless.

Enjoy,
-Noel