AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Differences between styles? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3104)

drDalek 12-18-2002 03:35 AM

Differences between styles?

I have been reading up on different styles of Aikido and I have been collecting images, video clips and illustrations but I am not realy seeing any massive differences. Am I just not looking in the right places? Are the techniques the same across the board but the teaching methodologies different?

Why do people even talk about "different" styles when they are all essentially the same?

In terms of technique, what is the difference between say for example Yoshinkan and Aikikai Aikido? I have a clip of Robert Mustard sensei (who was featured prominently in "Angry white Pyjamas") doing technique (Yoshinkan I assume) with an Uke and what he does looks almost exactly the same as what we do (Aikikai). What gives?

erikmenzel 12-18-2002 03:49 AM

IME most style differences are only based on politics. Best thing to do is to train ast different dojos of different styles and experience what is going on. Aikido is probably about the same, but some other things, like teaching methode or view towards compition may be different.

Of course there do exist differences between individual dojos but this is IME not style related. I train what is called aikikai aikido, but have visited dojos of different styles (When I travel I always take my gi with me!). I have visited shodokan dojos that closely resembled our own and visited aikikai dojos that where so unbelievably different.

My advice would be dont bother with the names to much, dont listen to the politicians, but visit dojos, train aikido, have fun and make friends.

Nathan Pereira 12-18-2002 04:59 AM

Teacher,Teacher, Teacher, Teacher, Teacher

Have to agree with Erik's previous post . Robert Mustard is an excellent example of Yoshinkan especially if its the clip i think you would have seen. However there is a whole lot of really depressingly bad Yoshinkan clips you could have seen by some high ranking individuals. Having said that this is true for every other "style/school" of Aikido. I have trained in an Aikikai dojo and that particular teacher was very impressive. Again I have also experienced the most pants Aikikai aswell. Always choose the teacher and forget everything else. The main difference in what is taught is generally at what period of O'Sensei's life the head of a school trained with him. Yoshinkan of Shioda

Sensei is from when O'Sensei was a reletaviely young and physically strong man in Pre War Japan. The main difference with Yoshinkan is a very structered and methodical teaching method with the flow coming much later.

Yoshinkan is tagged "hard" and Aikikai "flowing". IMO this is bollocks.I have seen flowing very powerful examples of both.Good Aikido is good Aikido whatever "style".

MikeE 12-18-2002 08:31 AM

Besides teaching every week at my schools, I make it a priority to visit my other Aikido friends.

I train fairly regularly with Aikikai, Yoshinkan, and Ki Society.

What I've found more than anything else is that at the high levels of the different styles of Aikido it all becomes "fried rice".

If you take away the static kata part of the different styles (how they appoach "the basics") it all looks the same.

I am talking about Jiyuwaza and randori.

I have seen footage of many of the high ranking yudansha, and also my share in person.

When doing randori it all looks the same.

Since no matter the style it came from the same source, it makes sense it would.

Notice the differences, but celebrate the similarities.

In Aiki,

opherdonchin 12-18-2002 11:22 AM

Ok, well I'll take the other point of view. \

I've trained fairly extensively in Seidokan, AiKiKai and ASU dojos and I have to say that while everyone is clearly doing AiKiDo, the styles feel very different to me.

One way to describe it would be to say that AiKiKai emphasizes the big circles, Seidokan emphasizes the small circles, and ASU emphasizes the lines. Another way to say it is that AiKiKai seems to emphasize the way in which uke and nage blend together in flowing movement, Seidokan seems to emphasize 'connection' and 'sensitivity' as the heart of every technique, and ASU focuses on the martial logic and independent choices that uke and nage make in interacting.

Of course, these are questions of emphasis, and each style includes much of what I've described as the other styles' emphases.

Williamross77 12-18-2002 02:09 PM

How many Orchids are there? Is one not, and are all the same?

MikeE 12-18-2002 03:14 PM

Gee Opher,

Maybe the lines will blur more as you progress in your training. ;)

Maybe the reason the different styles feel so different to you is because you have a preconceived notion that they should feel very different.

Take time to study the similarities.

In Aiki,

MikeE 12-18-2002 03:15 PM

Just playing out against the "devil's advocate".

:)

opherdonchin 12-19-2002 10:50 AM

I agree with you entirely that the reason they feel different to me is that I choose to look at the differences. In fact, I try to train moving fluidly back and forth between seeing them as three completely different arts and seeing them as all exactly the same. I feel like each perspective is valuable and has things to offer me, and I would love to be able to encompass both.

MikeE 12-19-2002 12:23 PM

Here! Here!

I'm with you 110%.