AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Blooood on the danceflo... uh.. mat.. (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3818)

Daniel Mills 05-06-2003 02:50 AM

Blooood on the danceflo... uh.. mat..

.. and I have some nice nail marks across the back of my hand this morning..

Question is;

I've got a few splatters of blood on my Gi jacket and trousers.. I've been washing them on the coldest wash, to ensure that they didn't shrink..

As for the most-part, I'm fairly undomesticated when it comes to washing clothes, what is the best way to get the blood out, yet not on as hot a wash as to even risk shrinking?..

Or should I just leave it there as a reminder to everyone that they should cut their nails (and not risk a full-pelt kokyunage for their next techniques :blush: :freaky: :D )?

Best,

-Daniel.

PeterR 05-06-2003 03:12 AM

Leave the blood and wallow with the pure machismo of it.

Eventually the stains will fade with washings

Joseph Huebner 05-06-2003 06:39 AM

Quote:

Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:
Leave the blood and wallow with the pure machismo of it.

Eventually the stains will fade with washings

Ideally, rinsing the spot with cold water is the best to keep blood stains from setting, followed by a splash of hydrogen peroxide and a cold-cycle wash.

This works very well with my paramedic uniforms (Imagine, if you will...) but they're blue/navy blue. Haven't spot treated a nice white gi yet. SO, if anyone has experience and a better technique please share it with us newbies.

Joseph

jk 05-06-2003 06:59 AM

I think the standard solution for bloodstains is to soak in cold water, then in dilute ammonia; wash.

Regards,

Sherman Byas 05-06-2003 08:26 AM

I always throw a scoopfull of Oxiclean (this is not a paid endorsement) in with me & daughter's and gis. When there's dojo juice (blood) I make a little paste and scub. Works like the commercial!

Carl Simard 05-06-2003 09:22 AM

Quote:

Sherman Byas wrote:
I always throw a scoopfull of Oxiclean (this is not a paid endorsement) in with me & daughter's and gis. When there's dojo juice (blood) I make a little paste and scub. Works like the commercial!

Same for me. but I don't have any credit for it, I simply follow instructions from my wife...

SmilingNage 05-06-2003 11:54 AM

Use the peroxide to kill any nasties in the blood.

But wear the blood stains as a badge of honor. lol

Daniel Mills 05-06-2003 01:31 PM

Would you believe.. all the blood spots/splashes washed out first time with no pre-treatment.. ;)

ian 05-07-2003 10:31 AM

My attitude towards my gi is buy lots of cheap ones that are cool (i.e. not hot rather than the other sense of the word). Thus they are easy to wash and dry and you don't care if they get damaged - very much a working uniform rather than for posing in.

Therefore I am quite happy bleaching and boiling my gi (they will shrink, especially lighter material gi - but if you buy it a size larger and pre-shrink it by boiling it twice you never have to worry about shrinking it in the wash after that!)

Ian

kensparrow 05-07-2003 10:58 AM

Bleach gel works great. And if bleach is good enough for those virus hunter types down at the CDC then it's good enough for me!

DaveO 05-07-2003 04:03 PM

Didi Seven. Don't want to plug a product; but the stuff is great for removing bloodstains. :)