AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Newcomer/Newbie - What Do I Need to Start? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15768)

aar0n 02-16-2009 12:43 AM

Newcomer/Newbie - What Do I Need to Start?

This is a great site, have found some awesome information. I did some searching in some of the old posts, and came up empty handed with my search queries. So I thought I would ask here, sorry if it gets lengthy.

I am a new to any form of martial arts. I have a friend that is taking Aikido classes at her work, one of her coworkers is the instructor. Since the classes are through her employer and a employee the instruction for them is free. She asked about bringing me into the classes and the instructor said it was fine. I offered to pay him and he declined. Since then I have done extensive reading on Aikido, the art the history, requirements, the pricing in my area, ect..

With never having attended any martial arts, I am unsure on what all I need to start the classes. I don't want to look like a dummy and walk in unprepared, none of the equipment needed, or anything like that. When I asked my friend where she got her gear, she said Shidoshi gave it to her. Now with all that said do I need to go get a dogi and hakama?

crbateman 02-16-2009 01:09 AM

Re: Newcomer/Newbie

Quote:

Aaron Sullivan wrote: (Post 225144)
Now with all that said do I need to go get a dogi and hakama?

A dogi, probably. A hakama, probably not until later (although in some dojos, females wear them from day one). Bottom line: Ask the instructor, as each makes his own rules. No one will criticize you for not knowing. Iif knowing everything up front was required, there would be no reason to train, and we would all be born fully grown... ;)

aar0n 02-16-2009 05:21 AM

Another art form has gotten my attention as well, Hapkido. I read a few posts on here regarding it and aikido. I wonder though, would it be better to focus on aikido first get a good feel for it then get in to hapkido?

Also when I do get a dogi is there anything else I need to get; like a mouth piece or anything?

lbb 02-16-2009 06:39 AM

Quote:

Aaron Sullivan wrote: (Post 225155)
Another art form has gotten my attention as well, Hapkido. I read a few posts on here regarding it and aikido. I wonder though, would it be better to focus on aikido first get a good feel for it then get in to hapkido?

Is there some amazing hapkido teacher in your area? Or are you basing your desire to train hapkido on something you read about it? Either way, why would you want to go from one to the other?

aar0n 02-16-2009 07:37 AM

Another friend of mine is 1st Dan in Hapkido besides him the only other person I would actually feel comfortable spar with lives in another state. I always thought that to get better at something, you match up with someone better than you.

Garth Jones 02-16-2009 11:23 AM

Re: Newcomer/Newbie - What Do I Need to Start?

Most teachers will let you start out in a t-shirt and sweats. Ask at the dojo. If you need a dogi right away, they are not expensive. For beginning aikido you shouldn't need anything else.

The only way you are going to answer your aikido/hapkido questions is with experience. Try them out and see what clicks with you.

lbb 02-16-2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Aaron Sullivan wrote: (Post 225158)
Another friend of mine is 1st Dan in Hapkido besides him the only other person I would actually feel comfortable spar with lives in another state. I always thought that to get better at something, you match up with someone better than you.

Don't worry about picking out a sparring partner, you're getting way ahead of yourself. Find a good dojo (or dojang, whatever) with a good instructor, start training, get with the program and leave it at that. That's how you get better at something. Anyway, you're a brand new newbie. Everyone there will be better than you, so you don't have to worry about a lack of better partners to develop your skill against.

Chris Farnham 02-16-2009 10:39 PM

As far as which art to go with is concerned, I would try or watch a class of each before you decide and not go on what you read or heard about them. I think that that you will find that there is a lot of sub par Hapkido out there where some TKD instructor just dabbles in Hapkido on the side. I know that is what happened to my brother when he tried to get into Hapkido. Ofcourse there is a lot of subpar Aikido out there as well.I had no idea what Aikido was when I randomly took a University credit course, and because I had an amazing teacher, I fell in love with the art. I think that technically the two are very simillar aside from Hapkido's greater emphasis on striking, and you should go with the art that has a better teacher in your area.

aar0n 02-17-2009 12:12 AM

Quote:

Mary Malmros wrote: (Post 225176)
Don't worry about picking out a sparring partner, you're getting way ahead of yourself.

It's not necessarily the actual sparring I'm worried about. I would like, to have a partner that outside of the instructors classes, that I can work with if that makes any sense.

Quote:

Chris Farnham wrote: (Post 225191)
As far as which art to go with is concerned, I would try or watch a class of each before you decide and not go on what you read or heard about them.

Good point, I have located a couple of Hapkido classes but haven't moved any further towards making a decision. I will take the advice posted in this thread and see what all I come up with.

Thank you so much for your replies.

lbb 02-17-2009 06:20 AM

Quote:

Aaron Sullivan wrote: (Post 225196)
It's not necessarily the actual sparring I'm worried about. I would like, to have a partner that outside of the instructors classes, that I can work with if that makes any sense.

Again, I think you're getting way ahead of yourself. You haven't started training yet and you have decided what's the best way to train. Let that go, and just go with their program for now -- it works the way it does for a reason. Stick to in-class instruction for a while -- If, once you've started training....key phrase, once you've started training...you feel the need to do something in addition, practice basic tai sabaki and ukemi exercises by yourself. That way there's less risk that you and your partner are just teaching each other bad habits.

tarik 02-24-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

With never having attended any martial arts, I am unsure on what all I need to start the classes. I don't want to look like a dummy and walk in unprepared, none of the equipment needed, or anything like that. When I asked my friend where she got her gear, she said Shidoshi gave it to her. Now with all that said do I need to go get a dogi and hakama?

If you're new to the martial arts, it will be obvious when you walk in the door. You would be more likely to "look like a dummy" by trying to show up prepared for something that you have never experienced.

Your best approach would be to show up, ask questions, start taking classes. The rest of your questions will quickly answer themselves once you do so.. and if they don't, you will now have resources that include your teachers and training partners as well as online to help answer those questions.

Regards,

John Furgerson III 02-25-2009 12:17 PM

You will probably need something for your knees. When you walk on your knees the mat cover may hurt them a lot. The mat cover here in Mexico City is some type of plastic and can really hurt your knees AND the top of your feet when you get up to do a technique.

Wear socks or get special things for the feet. I bought something from the dojo where I practice at. Remember...

knee protection
&
feet protection

Possibly a rag to wipe the sweat.

bleepbeep 02-26-2009 07:13 PM

hi aaron,

i think you will need to let go of all your pre conceptions and expectations of the martial art you want to study when you get on the mats. they might cloud your experience.
just be open to what is coming and see if you enjoy it.
good luck:)

graham 02-27-2009 02:03 AM

Hi Aaron,

I agree with Tarik. Try enjoying being the "newbie" with no experience or preconceived ideas. There's nothing wrong with that and it can actually be enjoyable.

Just go for jogging trousers, t-shirt and perhaps a water bottle. If you needed more than that, I hope the Sensei would have told you by now.

Oh, personally, I'd be looking for an instructor higher than 1st Dan, so maybe put the Hapkido off until later.

ChrisHein 02-27-2009 09:56 AM

Don't over think it. Doing is doing, thinking is thinking. Just show up. The instructor has seen many new people, nothing you do will surprise him.

Go find out if you like it.

mwible 03-01-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

This is a great site, have found some awesome information. I did some searching in some of the old posts, and came up empty handed with my search queries. So I thought I would ask here, sorry if it gets lengthy.

I am a new to any form of martial arts. I have a friend that is taking Aikido classes at her work, one of her coworkers is the instructor. Since the classes are through her employer and a employee the instruction for them is free. She asked about bringing me into the classes and the instructor said it was fine. I offered to pay him and he declined. Since then I have done extensive reading on Aikido, the art the history, requirements, the pricing in my area, ect..

You must always wear a Dogi, but most schools are leanient in the beginning until you buy one. you can get one for pretty cheap at "http://www.martialartssupermarket.com/" but make sure it is a "judo" Gi, as it will be tougher/heavier and have padded knee's.

The Hakama varies from school to school. in the form of Aikido i study men do not wear one until Shodan, and women do not wear one until Sankyu. So dont worry about buying one until notified by your instructor.

And then also you may need a Jo staff/ Boken(practice sword)/ Tanto(practice knife).

But everything varies from school to school. so just dont worry about it, go to ur first class in gym shorts/ t shirt and check everything out, just ask your Sensei what you need, or ask one of the higher ranking students (or your friend). But just relax and take it slow, have a good time. Dont over-think things too much ;)

in Aiki,
morgan