AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Poll: How important is trusting yourself in order to have "good" ukemi during aikido (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12860)

AikiWeb System 07-08-2007 12:57 PM

Poll: How important is trusting yourself in order to have "good" ukemi during aikido

AikiWeb Poll for the week of July 8, 2007:

How important is trusting yourself in order to have "good" ukemi during aikido training?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Critically important
  • Very important
  • Somewhat important
  • Not very important
  • Not at all important
Here are the current results.

Ryan Sanford 07-09-2007 01:23 PM

Re: Poll: How important is trusting yourself in order to have "good" ukemi during aik

I voted "Very Important" because I believe that it's even more important to trust nage than yourself when taking ukemi. They are the one, after all, that's going to tweak your joints around in uncomfortable ways!

Mark Uttech 07-09-2007 03:45 PM

Re: Poll: How important is trusting yourself in order to have "good" ukemi during aik

I voted 'very important' because after all, it is your self that you are putting out there on the line; entering the unknown, especially if nage is a stranger. This is a great chance to study the 'ura' , or 'hidden' side of aikido training.

In gassho,

Mark

Nafis Zahir 07-10-2007 04:14 AM

I voted Critically important, because not every nage is going to look out for your best interested. When that happens, it up to you to look out for yourself and spare yourself from unnecessary pain and injury. I'm sure there are a few people out there that know what I'm talking about.

mathewjgano 07-10-2007 01:29 PM

I said self-trust is crucial to good ukemi. If you can't trust your own actions, you're going to hesitate from time to time and that's often the kind of thing that gets people hurt. As uke, I never fully trust nage. Stuff happens after all, and if I assume it won't for the sake of trust, I can get hurt. You might say the only thing I trust is the uncertainty of the world around me. In that context, trust in myself seems the more certain option since I at least can control my responses to the situations I have relatively little control over.

Nafis Zahir 07-10-2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

Matthew Gano wrote: (Post 183167)
I said self-trust is crucial to good ukemi. If you can't trust your own actions, you're going to hesitate from time to time and that's often the kind of thing that gets people hurt. As uke, I never fully trust nage. Stuff happens after all, and if I assume it won't for the sake of trust, I can get hurt. You might say the only thing I trust is the uncertainty of the world around me. In that context, trust in myself seems the more certain option since I at least can control my responses to the situations I have relatively little control over.

I agree with you, but I have two points. 1) A good nage can sense when he/she should pull back on a technique or a throw in order to save the uke esp. when they can tell that the uke is not ready or maybe a little afraid. 2) Uke should know when nage is not paying attention and bail out, if necessary, in order to save themselves from injury. I know someone who decided to take that approach after he got injured by a thoughtless nage.

mathewjgano 07-11-2007 01:28 AM

Quote:

Nafis Zahir wrote: (Post 183176)
I agree with you, but I have two points. 1) A good nage can sense when he/she should pull back on a technique or a throw in order to save the uke esp. when they can tell that the uke is not ready or maybe a little afraid. 2) Uke should know when nage is not paying attention and bail out, if necessary, in order to save themselves from injury. I know someone who decided to take that approach after he got injured by a thoughtless nage.

Good points! I've never been hurt by a training partner (knocks on wood) but there have been a few times where I was close and they definately left a lasting impression on me. I think the reason I've never been hurt is likely as you said, because there was that sense of when to back off a bit.
Take care,
Matt

jennifer paige smith 07-14-2007 04:34 PM

Trust. But tie your camel.