AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weapons (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Easy way to memorize katas? ;) (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11115)

Joyce Lunas 10-10-2006 11:41 AM

Easy way to memorize katas? ;)

Hello friends. I was told by my Sensei i am about to give examinations for my 7th kyu and i am scared shitless in the event i happen to forget any kata moves! Is there any easy way of memorizing aaaaaall these moves (I've been introduced so far to Kata-13, Kata-22, Kata-31) or it's all down to... endless practice? Thanks again.
C u around,
Joyce

CitoMaramba 10-10-2006 11:45 AM

Re: Easy way to memorize katas? ;)

Quote:

Joyce Lunas wrote:
...it's all down to... endless practice? Thanks again.
C u around,
Joyce

Bingo! you got it kiddo!
Gambatte kudasai!

CitoMaramba 10-10-2006 12:51 PM

... or to put it another way.. kata are not memorised with the brain.. they are memorised with the muscles..
so keiko, keiko, keiko (practice, practice)

dps 10-10-2006 02:52 PM

I spend alot of time on the computer. On my computer screen as my desktop I have an animated GIF of a technique that I am trying to learn. It helps me to associate the name with the technique. Other then that it is practice, practice, practice ad infinitum. :)

Al Williams 10-10-2006 04:49 PM

Take every moment to practise. Kitchen utensils are great for going over kata when you are cooking. Use your pen while in front of the computer to run throught the kata. ('',)

statisticool 10-10-2006 08:05 PM

Own the kata... make it part of you... make it you.

SeiserL 10-11-2006 05:13 AM

Relax and trust your training.
Know the sequence.
Practice physically and mentally.
Start in motion.
Get out of the way.
Relax, breath, and have a good time.

Jill N 10-11-2006 05:48 AM

Hi

"Chunking" can be helpful too. Think of an often repeated sequence as one piece, then the whole kata is less overwhelming. Relax and have fun. If you forget, just do whatever comes naturally and hope that your sensei has the same trouble you do memorizing ;^)

e ya later
Jill.

DonMagee 10-11-2006 07:18 AM

I learned my jo kata by making it into a game in my head. I would say to my self "One and a twwwwooo and da three, and a fouuuuur, five!" Basically I just had a lot of fun with it and didn't take it seriously until I had the movements memorized. Even now though that sillyness is still inside my head when I do that kata.

Eric Webber 10-11-2006 09:39 AM

Learn what the kata means on a deeper level; e.g. why are some movements in a particular sequence, what's the reason behind the movements in this sequence? Understanding why I am moving to a particular space helps me remember to move to that space. Visualization of opponents/partners/bad guys/whatevers also may help remind you of movement sequence.

Steve Mullen 10-12-2006 07:57 AM

19 and 20 of the 20 jo saburi always fried my noodle a bit (i.e what side to turn and such) my sensei told me to take all the movements at a slow steady pace, that way i could think about the ones i didnt have memorized while i was doing the ones that i did.

CitoMaramba 10-12-2006 11:35 AM

Here's a tip for understanding the kata (not memorising it, that still takes keiko, keiko, keiko). Visualize an imaginary opponent wielding a bokken or jo attacking you or parrying your strikes/thrusts. The movements will then become more meaningful.
As to what attacks / parries your imaginary opponent is doing, ask your Sensei.

Carol Shifflett 10-12-2006 05:05 PM

All of the above! And one thing more with the "chunking" . . .

Consider starting at the END and adding moves until you get to the BEGINNING.
No one ever does it that way of course, consequently as you go on, the exercise gets harder.

Reverse the order and you'll find that as you add new phrases to the beginning, as you go on, the exercise gets EASIER.

This has the side benefit of improving practice with someone who has learned it the usual way. Ordinarily, about half way through NEITHER of you can remember the next move.
This way, he has the beginning, you have the end . . . What a team!

Plus all of the above, especially the "endless practice" part.

Cheers!
Carol Shifflett