AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Too big keikogi (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20760)

Suoma 01-25-2012 01:24 PM

Too big keikogi

Hello!

In most of my aikido trainings my keikogi is getting seriously annoying. The belt doesn't hold the top part even when doing simple warm-up, the sleeves are 5 cm too long (fine, that's easy to fix) and its generally just too large for me. The pants would fit 2 or 3 myselfs in just nicely, they almost fall off. I am only 14 but still 180cm, which I guess is the reason for this.

Is there a way I could tighten the belt or something to make my outfit not fall when practicing? Its getting seriously annoying when I have to fix my gi every 5 seconds even when doing breathing excercises, thus breaking my concentration. Of course I could buy a new gi but that would be another half a year-worth of money wasted.

Kasper

Shadowfax 01-25-2012 01:30 PM

Re: Too big keikogi

Sorry to have to tell you this but the only real solution to your problem is to keep training. Frequent washing will shrink you gi down to size and the eventual hackama will help to solve the uniform flying apart issue. This is a problem that nearly all of us must deal with when we are starting out in aikido. :)

Hanna B 01-25-2012 01:42 PM

Wash it in 95 degrees Celsius. It will help at least a bit.

Janet Rosen 01-25-2012 01:43 PM

Hot water will reduce the length of sleeves and legs by a small factor - should be no more than 10-12% of length - but typically does little to reduce the width. The sleeves and legs can be hemmed shorter. You can ask somebody who uses needle and thread or sewing machine to attach ties to the chest and waist of your jacket - A pair of white or off-white shoelaces cut in half makes two sets of ties! The pants you might have to cinch in at the waist with a couple of large safety pins.

Basia Halliop 01-25-2012 01:53 PM

Do your pants not have a cord? Or are they the elastic waist kind?

Either way, I would never use a safety pin or anything with metal or with sharp parts. I guess it depends on how you train in your individual dojo, but I would feel very unsafe with anything like that so close to me when I'm training.

Must be some way to either sew them smaller or use a cord of some kind to tighten them.

Or see if you can find someone bigger who needs a new gi to sell your gi to at a discount and get part of the money back to buy a new one.

Suoma 01-25-2012 01:58 PM

Thanks for your fast responses! I'm trying to wash it in high temperatures next weekend.

@Basia:
It has elastic rope which unfortunately is just as loose as the pant itself, its plain silly how much it can be stretched. I cannot imagine anyone would be that chubby to fill it all.

Kasper

Tyson Walters 01-25-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Kasper Nurminen wrote: (Post 301609)
Thanks for your fast responses! I'm trying to wash it in high temperatures next weekend.

@Basia:
It has elastic rope which unfortunately is just as loose as the pant itself, its plain silly how much it can be stretched. I cannot imagine anyone would be that chubby to fill it all.

Kasper

:D

Give it time Kasper... age has a way of letting you grow into these types of things.

RuteMendes 01-26-2012 09:29 AM

When I bought my keikogi I felt exactly the same! New keikogis are always too big and unconfortable, but believe me, with the training and washing it will get smalled and it will adapt to your body :)
I know it's hard to believe, I didn't believe it either, I wanted to buy a smaller number, but now I'm glad I didn't! And you are 14, you're still growing so it's ok if it's a little big for you.
Before you know, you'll want to wear your keikogi all the day hehe :D

Rute.