AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Self-Defense Aikido (Video) (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23104)

TokyoZeplin 11-05-2013 01:54 PM

Self-Defense Aikido (Video)

I was cruising good ol' Google, having a random curious thought of looking up self-defense dojos in Tokyo, should I ever have the chance to return.

By accident, I stumbled across this video, on the youtube channel, from one of the sites.
I thought I would share it here, for thoughts, and as always, endless and tireless debate! :drool:

It's interesting/fun seeing Aikido techniques paired with (in, dare I say, 99% of cases) very non-Aikido techniques!

EDIT: for those that would like to know what website the YouTube channel belongs:
http://tokyosafeguard.web.fc2.com/do...gado/home.html

phitruong 11-05-2013 06:09 PM

Re: Self-Defense Aikido (Video)

Quote:

Philip Zeplin-Frederiksen wrote: (Post 331950)

It's interesting/fun seeing Aikido techniques paired with (in, dare I say, 99% of cases) very non-Aikido techniques!

which ones aren't aikido? i thought they were all aikido.

Janet Rosen 11-05-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

But I thought the claim was 99% of aikido is atemi.... :) looks like aikido to me. Not as I practice it but definitely aikido.

Rupert Atkinson 11-06-2013 12:15 AM

Looks kinda like Hapkido to me.

Demetrio Cereijo 11-06-2013 12:53 AM

Contrived, lacking aliveness, zombie like compliant attacker.... clearly Aikido.

sakumeikan 11-06-2013 02:00 AM

Quote:

Demetrio Cereijo wrote: (Post 331964)
Contrived, lacking aliveness, zombie like compliant attacker.... clearly Aikido.

Demetrio,
Amusing comment.Joking I hope??The stuff on the vid is fairly contrived. Cheers, Joe.

Cliff Judge 11-06-2013 05:54 AM

I am not a fan of training where the attacker throws an attack and then just poses while nage executes a combination of moves.

SteliosPapadakis 11-06-2013 06:00 AM

Why not? Not bad at all.
Quite close to Systema, also.
:)

Belt_Up 11-06-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

They were all aikido techniques!

Quote:

I think I love you, Demetrio.

phitruong 11-06-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Cliff Judge wrote: (Post 331970)
I am not a fan of training where the attacker throws an attack and then just poses while nage executes a combination of moves.

ya! don't you just hate that? methink, most of the self-defense videos on the net are kinda like that though. very strange.

OwlMatt 11-06-2013 07:44 AM

What makes this "self-defense" and other aikido not? This is just as static and just as contrived as anything in any aikido dojo.

wolfpack 11-14-2013 07:25 PM

I can honestly say that in the three systems I have practiced in, I could say those techniques are from any one of them. There are only so many ways the body can be hit, thrown or manipulated. Eventually, martial art systems begin to overlap. Also, another question that will arise and did earlier is how are we being attacked? A defense versus a man attacking in armor is obviously different than one who isn't. A criminal will attack with far different intent and execution than a duel between two idiots in a bar fighting over status. When I started asking that question I, somewhat ashamedly, starting looking at fight and crime videos from places like youtube, liveleak or warriorspathredux. It was illuminating for someone who hasn't had those types of altercations, which I don't.

sakumeikan 11-15-2013 03:46 AM

Quote:

Matthew Story wrote: (Post 331976)
What makes this "self-defense" and other aikido not? This is just as static and just as contrived as anything in any aikido dojo.

Dear Matthew,
Do not know what or where you trained in your own training.When I was in San Diego Aikikai for example , studying with Chiba Sensei /Murashige Sensei there was nothing static or contrived when you practiced in that particular dojo. If you think that this is typical of the vast majority of aikido dojos maybe you should get about more???Cheers, Joe.

sakumeikan 11-15-2013 03:53 AM

Quote:

Phi Truong wrote: (Post 331975)
ya! don't you just hate that? methink, most of the self-defense videos on the net are kinda like that though. very strange.

Phi,
Agree with you 100%.A lot of the vids on Youtube look as though the came out of a George Romero movie. Aikido of the living dead, Zombie Irimi nage/The plague of the crap attacks.
Lets be honest the video is meant well , but the stuff shown is laughable.Then again on a positive note we would not have something to criticise if the vid was good would we?? Cheers, Joe.

OwlMatt 11-19-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Joe Curran wrote: (Post 332252)
Dear Matthew,
Do not know what or where you trained in your own training.When I was in San Diego Aikikai for example , studying with Chiba Sensei /Murashige Sensei there was nothing static or contrived when you practiced in that particular dojo.

I think you and I are using different definitions of the words static and contrived.

Quote:

If you think that this is typical of the vast majority of aikido dojos maybe you should get about more???Cheers, Joe.
I didn't say that this video is typical of the vast majority of aikido.

Richard Stevens 11-25-2013 08:20 AM

The only impression I got from this video is that the guy would be fairly easy to smash.

mathewjgano 11-25-2013 02:02 PM

Looks like a demo of waza to me more than anything else. I'd like to see uke a little more active in places and generally more fluid; some of the punches seemed extremely telegraphed...I like that it included somewhat atypical (for Aikido) atemi to the shins and I liked some of the ryotedori ideas around :42 (e.g. using the downward suppression to stuff/attack the knee).
...My wooden nickel.
:D

sakumeikan 11-25-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Matthew Story wrote: (Post 332378)
I think you and I are using different definitions of the words static and contrived.

I didn't say that this video is typical of the vast majority of aikido.

Dear Matthew,
Define your understanding of static/contrived please.Cheers, Joe.

kfa4303 11-26-2013 10:42 PM

I kinda like it. I think it could be handy to show beginners how they might use what can often feel like overly formal Aikido moves in a bit more of realistic/practical light. I think flipping the bill of his partner's hat is a good way to show/imply atemi as well. When folks are up front about "self-defense" techniques, I tend to cut them some slack as they're generally concerned with conveying only the most basic concepts, and of course they can't go around punching in the face either. I like think of it in musical terms. To me, this is more like a free form jam session rather than a concerto, or symphony. Not a demonstration of perfect, classical techniques by any means, but some decent adaptations of familiar ones. Of course, anything that can help someone escape/avoid a violent situation is good thing. Even if it's just yelling for help. Although, yelling "Fire!" tends to be more effective, as more people will come to see what's going on, whereas they will often run away, or ignore you if you simply yell for "help!" :/