AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Testing (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   First Brown Belt I've Made it. (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23654)

gcsr 06-02-2014 02:09 PM

First Brown Belt I've Made it.

Ladies and Gents I finaly completed my first Brown belt Demo to " Sankyu". It was tough preparing but I like to thank everyone for all the coaching and general help.

Mg

Malicat 06-02-2014 02:36 PM

Re: First Brown Belt I've Made it.

Quote:

Mario Garcia wrote: (Post 337447)
Ladies and Gents I finaly completed my first Brown belt Demo to " Sankyu". It was tough preparing but I like to thank everyone for all the coaching and general help.

Mg

Congratulations!

Janet Rosen 06-02-2014 04:30 PM

Congratulations!

Mary Eastland 06-02-2014 04:48 PM

Yay! Good for you.

TonyBlomert 06-02-2014 05:48 PM

Omedetou Gozaimasu! That's probably a great relief and now you can back to training.

lbb 06-02-2014 06:09 PM

Well done!

GMaroda 06-03-2014 06:51 AM

Congrats!

phitruong 06-03-2014 08:07 AM

"To the pain!" - Princess Bride
:)

gcsr 06-03-2014 08:26 AM

"TO THE PAIN" exactly Wow thier were 4 of us doing demo and I uked for 2 of them i i took about 60 falls.. Sunday i was saying god I made it at were's my Aleve.

But yes back to the SALT Mine.

tenshinaikidoka 06-17-2014 12:02 AM

Congrats on your promotion.

fatebass21 12-15-2014 09:52 PM

:circle: :triangle: :square:

Adam Huss 12-18-2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

Mario Garcia wrote: (Post 337447)

Mg

Demo for a brown belt? How does that work, are you basically determined worthy or tested by a syllabus prior to promotion then have a celebratory demonstration? Just curious.

For my aikikai aikido organization I'd say nikkyu is the hardest test. Its the first truly long test and just has all the tricky techniques - first time kohsinage is on a test (though its taught much earlier), jujinage, like kokyunage from four or five different attacks, and hamni handachi....and of course randori and plenty of jiyu waza in addition to your basics and previous techniques. It often catches most people off guard as they've likely been training a couple years and are starting to get comfortable...then bam!

Anyway, how did it go? Were you nervous and did you overcome those nerves? That's one aspect I love about putting people on the spot for testing - techniques, answering oral quizzes, and we often make people teach a technique or a tai sabaki or kata. Seeing people malinger for a month about teaching or testing, then seeing them overcome their fears is about one of the best and most utilitarian things I've seen in a dojo.

Congrats!