AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Language (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Searching For The Term... (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22016)

ryback 11-28-2012 02:48 PM

Searching For The Term...

In most of the dojos i've seen there is a person whose duty is to be close to the sensei,mind the door,bring to the sensei his notes,prepare his Gi,e.t.c...Does anyone know the Japanese term for the person who performs those duties?Thanks in advance...

Chris Li 11-28-2012 04:04 PM

Re: Searching For The Term...

Quote:

Yannis Mousoulis wrote: (Post 319837)
In most of the dojos i've seen there is a person whose duty is to be close to the sensei,mind the door,bring to the sensei his notes,prepare his Gi,e.t.c...Does anyone know the Japanese term for the person who performs those duties?Thanks in advance...

You mean "otomo"?

Best,

Chris

ryback 11-29-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Christopher Li wrote: (Post 319841)
You mean "otomo"?

Best,

Chris

I don't know,could be...Thank you very much for your response!:)

Krystal Locke 11-29-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Yannis Mousoulis wrote: (Post 319857)
I don't know,could be...Thank you very much for your response!:)

Yup, Otomo is the term I have heard most often. "Honorable/great friend", or ukemi and luggage carrying bitch, in the current common vernacular. Hard work, kinda glad my sensei does not expect it from us.

Tom Verhoeven 11-29-2012 11:04 AM

Nothing wrong with being an otomo - good practice, it sharpens the mind. Although it is a much easier task nowadays then in the training days of O Sensei.

Tom

mathewjgano 11-29-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Tom Verhoeven wrote: (Post 319888)
Nothing wrong with being an otomo - good practice, it sharpens the mind. Although it is a much easier task nowadays then in the training days of O Sensei.

Tom

Very good practice! I never served as much of an otomo, but what little experience I had in a similar capacity was very good for sharpening my attention...I remember surprising my friends a few times with my ability to read their intentions (little things like wanting an item off a shelf or what have you) so quickly they looked at me like I had just read their mind (I simply observed their body language and responded right away). The uchi deshi at our school (usually only one active at a time) have a more intensive experience than I ever did...particularly around New Years, which lasts about 3 days or so. I've often thought how I'd like to experience that, but also at the same time how pleasant it is not to have to always be quite so "on." I think awareness like this is usually more important than proficient technique...not that technical ability isn't also very important, just that I think the ability to read intention/body language is generally more applicable to day to day life.

ryback 11-30-2012 02:10 AM

Thank you everybody for your replies,they 've been most helpful!!

niall 11-30-2012 08:15 AM

Otomo is not really correct unless the question is about the person who accompanies a teacher on a trip. O is an honorific. It does not mean great. Tomo is attendant. Friend is a different word.

Deshi or uchi deshi could be possible as in Matthew's post.

Krystal Locke 11-30-2012 09:51 AM

Tomo, tomodachi, I was told that the root kanji was the same. Great, did a little research, indeed different kanji. Guess the information I get from those who should know is not always correct.

Tom Verhoeven 11-30-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Niall Matthews wrote: (Post 319946)
Otomo is not really correct unless the question is about the person who accompanies a teacher on a trip. O is an honorific. It does not mean great. Tomo is attendant. Friend is a different word.

Like a medieval squire.

Tom

Adam Huss 12-03-2012 03:07 AM

I also always thought otomo was used during traveling, or away trips, but I'm certainly no expert. I think tetsudai is assistant or something...but not sure on the exact context. Uchideshi is something very specific, as is sotodeshi. Could be that, though...all depends on the individual student's role.

mathewjgano 12-03-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Niall Matthews wrote: (Post 319946)

Thanks, Niall! I did confuse the examples. I was thinking of times when I would travel with Sensei Barrish to Canada for a private training, but then related that experience to what the uchi deshi commonly experience in terms of attending to the needs of the sensei, guests, and the dojo in general. I was just trying to comment on the idea of training the attention; which means I was a little off-topic too, sorry.