AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Spiritual (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Aikido has no enemies (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20652)

graham christian 01-03-2012 06:36 AM

Re: Aikido has no enemies

Quote:

David Yap wrote: (Post 300103)
Fully knowing it to be
A matter of life and death before us (don't drink and drive),
We may choose to withdraw
But the "lost friend" will not allow it.
Kanpai (cheers) to all friends and deities!!

- Morihei Ueshiba on a new year's eve :D

Sounds more like a poem from alcoholics anonymous. Quite apt.

G.

Mario Tobias 01-06-2012 07:11 AM

My 2 cents worth.

If you get into a fight, there's only a small chance you will win since there are millions of people out there that are better than you physically.

In order to have higher probability of you coming out of a fight in one piece, the point of Aikido/Aiki I think is to remove "YOU" and any part of you(regarded as weak) from the picture entirely and totally rely on/utilize the natural forces to be on your side when a fight ensues. When I say natural forces, it is the physical laws (ie gravity, use of levers, conversion of potential energy to kinetic, zero work, etc.) where all masses no matter how big or strong will succumb to these forces. That is why even a small person can control a very large person if he has good understanding of the physical laws and how to use these to his advantage.

The more "YOU" get in the picture, the lesser Aikido you are doing and the weaker you become. IMHO, you are just the "medium" neither attacking nor defending but you have something more powerful on your side you are using to control uke. If you start attacking or defending, then Aikido's potency will be diminished since part of "YOU" now will come into the picture. Maybe Osensei said Aikido doesn't have enemies because everybody succumbs to the natural laws?

Thoughts?

Alberto_Italiano 01-06-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Graham Christian wrote: (Post 299951)
From famous quotes to debates on what is meant by 'no enemies'

For me from an Aikido perspective I too have no enemies and taking that view into life in it's fullness leads to a better perspective on people and life and living.

So allow me to share my view and the spiritual basis of it and may you too never be the same again ha, ha.

Basics and truth. In truth spiritually we are all basically good, we are all basically loving, we are all basically kind, we all desire that all powerful active state of peace.

Thus basically we are all friends, all connected, all in oneness and co-existence.

Thus a person attacking me I do not see as an enemy for I see the truth, I know the truth, I am at one with the truth.

So what do I see?

I see a long lost friend.

Of course this person is not acting as such, their actions towards me be they vindictive or physically life threatening are real and bring me into action. But such are the actions of the lost. Lost souls.

So see not enemies but only lost friends and thus see the need for realignment, rehabillitation, restoration, the effect of divine techniques.

So enter the space of a true Aikidoka with malicious intent then you are entering a space of not punishment but rescue from your lost self.

Such is Aikido to me and hopefully to many.

Regards.G.

This is, indeed, the best way to fight: impersonal.

graham christian 01-06-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Mario Tobias wrote: (Post 300293)
My 2 cents worth.

If you get into a fight, there's only a small chance you will win since there are millions of people out there that are better than you physically.

In order to have higher probability of you coming out of a fight in one piece, the point of Aikido/Aiki I think is to remove "YOU" and any part of you(regarded as weak) from the picture entirely and totally rely on/utilize the natural forces to be on your side when a fight ensues. When I say natural forces, it is the physical laws (ie gravity, use of levers, conversion of potential energy to kinetic, zero work, etc.) where all masses no matter how big or strong will succumb to these forces. That is why even a small person can control a very large person if he has good understanding of the physical laws and how to use these to his advantage.

The more "YOU" get in the picture, the lesser Aikido you are doing and the weaker you become. IMHO, you are just the "medium" neither attacking nor defending but you have something more powerful on your side you are using to control uke. If you start attacking or defending, then Aikido's potency will be diminished since part of "YOU" now will come into the picture. Maybe Osensei said Aikido doesn't have enemies because everybody succumbs to the natural laws?

Thoughts?

Actually that statement is useful for a fighter. When mentioning O'Senseis quote and thus Aikido I would say quite the opposite is true regarding less you. (less ego, yes)

In other words as you understand more the universal laws and become imbued with them then you actually become more you.

In becoming more thetrue you then you become more and more in tune, stable, in harmony with whatever is in front of you no matter what it is or what it's doing.

Thus you realize that the only one you were ever fighting was yourself.

Regards.G.

SeiserL 01-07-2012 04:49 AM

Idealistically, I am working towards not perceiving others as my enemy.

Ideologically, many still see me as their's.

LinTal 01-07-2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Lynn Seiser wrote: (Post 300349)

Until they take another loook at why the expected reactions aren't forthcoming, perhaps.

graham christian 01-07-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Lynn Seiser wrote: (Post 300349)

Hardly ideologically.

If you are indeed working towards not perceiving others as your enemy, idealistic and admirable, then the reality will be a reflection of such and thus ideologically less will see you as their enemy.

Regards.G.