AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements & Feedback (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Where are the New People? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49)

akiy 06-19-2000 02:51 PM

Just wanted to note that there are now over 50 people registered here on AikiWeb Forums and I thank each and every single one of you!

However, I only see a handful of people posting, asking questions, answering things, and having discussions.

Where are the rest of you?

Please feel welcome and, in fact, encouraged to use these Forums. The more you post, the more people will get involved, and the more interesting discussions will (hopefully) ensue!

Don't be shy!

-- Jun

Nick 06-30-2000 02:37 PM

Jun, It seems that everything interactive online has 3 kinds of members:

1. Active
2. Inactive
3. Lurkers

Lurkers being the guys who read all the posts but don't bother to write anything, inactive are the ones who sign up and don't come back, the ones you delete from the database :).

-Nick

Kristina Morris 06-30-2000 02:51 PM

Jun,

Some of us are still feeling our way around this forum. Having to go back and forth between subjects sometimes makes me lose my focus. I get caught up in one topic, go on to the next, and never get back to the first. Maybe after I (us lurkers) feel a little more comfortable, we will start asking questions and/or responding to them.

Kristina

akiy 06-30-2000 03:09 PM

Sounds good!

I just wanted people, both experienced and new, to feel welcome in posting away. I know sometimes people are hesitant, but we're a friendly bunch of people -- really!

-- Jun

Nick 06-30-2000 03:27 PM

hehehe... really... nice... people... promise! :).

-Nick

Erik 07-05-2000 12:36 AM

Quote:

Having to go back and forth between subjects sometimes makes me lose my focus. I get caught up in one topic, go on to the next, and never get back to the first. Maybe after I (us lurkers) feel a little more comfortable, we will start asking questions and/or responding to them.

Kristina

Jun, she's onto something here. It does get hard to find one's way around sometimes. I'm personally only really interested in a couple of the forums but it gets hard to wander through them. I'm not sure you can do anything about it though as it might be hard-wired but I'm predicting royal confusion when threads start hitting 4 or 5 pages.

Also you might think about adding search capability at some point. It would have helped me find a posting I wanted to reply to although in retrospect....

And since I'm in an asking mood how about a spell check of some sort. You'll likely have a lot of English as a second language speakers who would benefit from it. And besides, if I'm going to be toasted and I'm pretty certain it's going to happen a few more times, I'd like the spelling to be better when it happens.

Now that I'm on a roll, have you noticed that quotes, within quotes or something like that get really narrow? Maybe that was something I did I dunno.

You've got plenty of time to implement all this right? Hell, you live for Aikiweb, right?

Time to go make some more toast.

akiy 07-05-2000 09:45 AM

I think what a lot of people miss on the Forum Display section is that the rightward pointing blue arrow in the "Last Post" column will take you to the last post in that thread. The downward pointing in the "Thread Title" will take you to the newest post.

As far as the searh engine goes, if you look at the block of links at the top of all of the pages, you should see one that looks like [Search]. Also, on the main page of the Forums, you should see a [View New Posts] link up there, too.

Spell check: I'll see what I can do.

Quoting: Yes, they do get narrow. I believe that each quote gets nested in its own BLOCKQUOTE tag. I personally don't quote a lot here, but I'll see if I can do anything to alleviate this.

-- Jun

Erik 07-05-2000 10:24 AM

As far as the searh engine goes, if you look at the block of links at the top of all of the pages, you should see one that looks like [Search]. Also, on the main page of the Forums, you should see a [View New Posts] link up there, too.

I clearly missed that one.

Quoting: Yes, they do get narrow. I believe that each quote gets nested in its own BLOCKQUOTE tag. I personally don't quote a lot here, but I'll see if I can do anything to alleviate this.

I think if you ever get these things to nest then we'd probably be ok.