AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Hairy Wrists! (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13060)

Carl Thompson 08-13-2007 08:53 PM

Hairy Wrists!

This is the latest legend I heard about aikido practice.

Ever noticed how hairy your sensei's (and other experienced aikido practitioner's) wrists are? Apparently, all that grabbing stimulates the blood flow to the hair follicles, encouraging hair-growth. Understandably, a female student was particularly concerned about this. I'm a bit dubious on this one myself. In fact, I'm sure one of my sempai has tracks of baldness around his forearms where the hairs have been worn out.

:freaky:

What do we reckon, people?

Regards

Carl

Luc X Saroufim 08-13-2007 09:21 PM

Re: Hairy Wrists!

well, i'm middle eastern. if aikido stimulates more body hair then i have a serious problem.

Eliot 08-13-2007 09:33 PM

Well I am bald. So if that is true, in theory could that grow hair on my head?

LOL

Carl Thompson 08-13-2007 09:40 PM

Let's not focus on the negative. Assuming this legend proves to be scientifically sound, there could be some beneficial applications. Perhaps we should consider the introduction of such attacks as "receding hairline-tori" and "bald-patch-osae"?

Qatana 08-13-2007 09:59 PM

Aikimyth # 5028547

Janet Rosen 08-13-2007 10:53 PM

what she said.

Anthony Dunn 08-14-2007 01:49 AM

I've noticed it. My first sensei said that when he started aikido his wrists had very little hair, and now his wrists are very hairy. I've noticed it on myself too, a darker band of hair right in the "grab zone" after 2 1/2 years of practicing.

Aikilove 08-14-2007 01:59 AM

I've noticed it too. So has other old-timers at our dojo.
Maybe it's more pronounced for us "hard grabbing" Iwama folks?

/J

batemanb 08-14-2007 06:23 AM

There's a couple of old threads on this, see here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...t=hairy+wrists

and here

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...t=hairy+wrists

PhilMyKi 08-14-2007 06:44 AM

Looks like you beat me to it again Bryan.

A few millimetres and I will have joined up! :)

aikidoc 08-14-2007 01:12 PM

Then explain why the grabbing palms are not as equally hairy.

PhilMyKi 08-14-2007 01:22 PM

Because that would be too weird.

Basia Halliop 08-14-2007 01:34 PM

I don't think palms normally grow hair at all, even the very short very fine almost-invisible hair (at least mine don't, and I've never seen a person with hairy palms). Wouldn't it take a different mechanism to grow hair in a previously hairless place than to grow coarser hair in a place where there was finer hair?

Qatana 08-14-2007 01:55 PM

As implied in the original post- if the friction of grabbing makes hair grow, why do so many men have smooth ankles under their socks when their legs are generally hairy?

CitoMaramba 08-14-2007 01:59 PM

No, grabbing wrists doesn't cause hairy palms.. it's grabbing... err... something else! :D :D

Sorry! Couldn't resist.. ;)

Oh yeah, and the hairy palms thing is a myth too..

Carl Thompson 08-14-2007 05:53 PM

Sorry for posting a thread that has been done before. I figured it was so strange that I didn’t even bother with the search function. And yes, funnily enough, I heard the original story from an Iwama guy.

I’d still be interested to know if any dermatological evidence was found to support or disprove this.

jennifer paige smith 08-14-2007 05:57 PM

Quote:

Jo Adell wrote: (Post 186242)
Aikimyth # 5028547

Yeah it follows the reason of another familiar myth that relates to hairy palms and touching...or something like that;)

Carl Thompson 08-14-2007 06:33 PM

I think there would need to be hair follicles in the area being stimulated for any "touching" to have an effect. My palms are perfectly hair-free by the way! ;)

Carl (the Aiki-monk)

Toby Bazarnick 09-28-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Anthony Dunn wrote: (Post 186265)
I've noticed it. My first sensei said that when he started aikido his wrists had very little hair, and now his wrists are very hairy. I've noticed it on myself too, a darker band of hair right in the "grab zone" after 2 1/2 years of practicing.

me too. darker in the grab zone

dalen7 09-29-2007 02:55 AM

All of us dudes who are loosing hair (I can tell that I am, which means the world can to)...lets have a project...lets massage our scalp at least once a day. - see what happens.

Peace

dAlen

Dathan Camacho 09-29-2007 07:37 AM

Time doing Aikido = more likely to be older = people get more hairy as they get older?

Caveat - more hairy everywhere, like ears and back, but not head! :D

Shannon Frye 09-29-2007 11:05 PM

Now THERE's a funny though - instead of wrist grabs, imagine walking into a dojo and hearing people say "Grab my head".:D

Shannon
:circle: :triangle: :circle:

Quote:

Eliot Gross wrote: (Post 186238)
Well I am bald. So if that is true, in theory could that grow hair on my head?

LOL

crbateman 09-30-2007 05:49 AM

I tried vigorous scalp massages to regrow bald spots. No help there, but now both my hands look like Willie Nelson... :D