AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Teaching (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   striking practise (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11114)

ian 10-10-2006 11:13 AM

striking practise

Just thought I'd share some experiences of some new methods I'm trying out.

Although I used to do lots of striking practise when I was younger but I realised I'd lost this ability. To improve fitness and an understanding of how to strike hard I've introduced striking practise. Basically there is some basic instruction but the core of the training is 3 minutes on the focus mitts doing different strikes and combinations just prior to normal training (very intensively). Its simple to do, its easy to pick up and it keeps people fighting fit. Also, I am very aware myself that when doing techniques I am prepared to strike the various vital points that aikido techniques expose much more instinctively. Instead of just thinking 'I could have struck you there', I actually know I could have because I'm actually resisting the urge to do so. In addition, the attacks have become more sincere and I feel that newbies actually have more admiration for what we are trying to achieve in aikido because they can see how powerful and fast a punch can be, yet how that force can be used.

Does anyone else do something similar? Does anyone feel this is bad? Anyone else interested?

CitoMaramba 10-10-2006 11:41 AM

Re: striking practise

We used to practice hiji-kata in solo form and against focus pads. Also five punches (jab, cross, hook, backfist, uppercut) solo form and against focus pads.

eyrie 10-10-2006 09:17 PM

I introduced it from day one... not just striking, but kicking as well - on an improvised striking pad. The kids absolutely LOVE it! For the bigger kids, I also show where (angle and direction) to strike or kick. I feel it definitely improves their striking techniques and control, as well as a better appreciation of the forces involved.

ian 10-11-2006 02:44 AM

Hi Ignatius - yep. One difficulty we have is that it is a university club and at the start of term we are overwelmed with new students (and thus complete beginners often have to train together). It can make it very difficult and slow to start off with, so starting with strikes and gradually introducing basic techniques seems to maintain a good pace of training and also keep their interest.

Ben Joiner 10-11-2006 05:53 AM

Having some previous striking experience myself I am 100% in agreeance with this. I think it's the simplest way that most people especially newbies could improve the level of their practise. I have been agitating about this during beer waza :D for the past few months.

Ben

Dazzler 10-11-2006 06:18 AM

Quote:

Ben Joiner wrote:
Having some previous striking experience myself I am 100% in agreeance with this. I think it's the simplest way that most people especially newbies could improve the level of their practise. I have been agitating about this during beer waza :D for the past few months.

Ben

And don't we know it..... ;)

I certainly fall into the camp that sees this as an essential component for any rounded MA and definitely advocate focus pad or heavy bag work on a regular basis for anyone serious about defending themselves.

I also am keen on sparring for fitness, working under pressure and dealing with adrenaline.

I'm not so keen on introducing this as part of a regular class and prefer to generally separate it for my private practice.

My feeling is that the reality of recieving a gift on the jaw is too heavy a distraction particularly for beginners and in some ways conflicts with the philosophy of aikido being more of a controlling art than an out an out offensive one.

I also feel that too much emphasis on finishing strikes can effectively terminate an attack (not a bad thing of course) but then eliminate the need for the reast of the move and thus impede the study of aikido.

With this in mind I keep my personal objectives outside of the dojo as much as possible.

Of course if one view of aikido is that its exactly the same as all other arts then by all means practice the most effective and lethal killing moves and do away with all this fluffy irimi tenkan wrist grabby nonsense.

Each to their own.

Regards

D

ps. If you'd been in the senior class last night Ben you would have been sparring albeit in a very controlled manner! :)

Bridge 10-11-2006 06:54 AM

Pad practice is a good idea. You can learn how to get speed and power, improve reactions etc.,

Also a great benefit is that during normal practice, if you do happen to land a strike, you are now capable of avoiding injuries, such your wrist collapsing on a punch for example. Because, you are used to the sensation of you hand/foot actually hitting something. You learn to form the techniques correctly.

SeiserL 10-11-2006 08:05 AM

I love focus mit practice.
So much more alive than regular bag work.

zenmonkey 10-11-2006 06:07 PM

Striking should be studied with the same principles as aikido itself. The strikes become movements, thus sustaining the peace within and without. One should focus these movements according to pressure point principles in order to maximize their effectivness.

My opinion