AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Took a beating last night. Amazing! (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11300)

Jaikido 11-13-2006 09:14 AM

Took a beating last night. Amazing!

Well, I went to train last night, and I was the only one to turn up apart from my instructor. It isn't a big class on a Sunday night, and a guy who usually brings a couple of people was ill. Anyways, as he's always teaching, he decided we'd go through as many techniques as we could so he could train aswell. And he ended up putting me through everything up to Shodan, about 200 - 250 moves I think.

My wrists are thoroughly Swollen (mostly from yonkyo) but its a good pain. Being at a low grade I was more than happy to take the opportunity to work on my uki skills, and I've managed to start implementing a backward-ish break-fall out of Kotegaeshi, which I'm quite proud of. Although I was knackered and crawling up to attack again by the end, I knew I could still push myself further and that I'd feel better afterwards. This was also about 2 hours after my previous class with Sensei Jones.

Anyone else like getting beaten up to the point of exhaustion?

James Davis 11-13-2006 10:14 AM

Re: Took a beating last night. Amazing!

Quote:

Jacob Lloyd wrote:

I can't really say that I liked it, but I knew it was good for me. :D

Keep at it!

PhilMyKi 11-13-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Jacob Lloyd wrote:

I'll plead the fifth! ;)

SeanHaeussinger2 11-14-2006 03:07 AM

Quote:

Jacob Lloyd wrote:

I have never been "beaten up" to the point of exhaustion, but my dogi has signs of damage.

Fanis Chatziapostolou 11-14-2006 03:34 AM

Quote:

Jacob Lloyd wrote:

I have also done this for a couple of times, being uke for some of my sempai (1st-2nd Kyu). Although it is very demanding, if you go through all the techniques up to Shodan and do all the kokyu nage falls, it is very good for your ukemi.
That is what i was told from the people watching.

Always train, never surrender!

-Fanis

RampantWolf 11-14-2006 06:20 AM

As I said to my Corporal once... 'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'. Of course his answer to that was to make me carry the radio as well. :dead:

I think training to the point of exhaustion and then giving it a little bit more is great occasionally, proves to yourself just how far you can go.

DonMagee 11-14-2006 06:40 AM

I train to exhaustion 3 to 4 days a week. If I can breathe, or stand, it's time to spar some more. Sometimes it's time to spar some more even if I can't stand.

I feel cheated if I'm not laying in a pool of my own sweat unable to stand.

raul rodrigo 11-14-2006 06:57 AM

Quote:

Don Magee wrote:
I feel cheated if I'm not laying in a pool of my own sweat unable to stand.

Spoken like a true judoka. In my judo days, we used to train in newaza until we were practically crawling off the mat.