AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Interested in a book club (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4662)

itdoka 11-20-2003 08:07 AM

Interested in a book club

I'm not sure this is the right area for this thread, but here goes. When I see a movie I enjoy discussing it (rehashing it) with those I saw it with. I recently picked up a copy of, "Art Of Peace". I was hoping a wide variety of folks would be interested in reading a certain amount of pages per week, then talking about it. As I paged through, I realized that this text is much more than something to read; there are amazing nuggets of wisdom that should not be taken lightly (like one may have the tendency to do when reading singularly). I am just beginning (again) in my Aikido studies and would love to hear everyone's feelings, impressions, first hand experiences, etc. as it pertains to, "Art Of Peace".

So, is anyone interested? There is no real time limit, I think the only important part would be to all be one the same pages at the same time, even if its only 5-10 pages a week I think we would all find it extremely beneficial.

itdoka 11-21-2003 06:57 AM

Wow. 36 views and not a single response, I guess I will tackle the founder's book by myself (storms off slamming imaginary door) ;)

Jeff Tibbetts 11-21-2003 07:16 AM

Rich. Well, you may not get as many responses as you'd like for several reasons. Firstly, I think a few of us who are interested have already read it. Secondly, those who haven't may not want to. Thirdly, people are very busy, and keeping it organized to the level you want may be pretty tough. Oh, and the amount of views doesn't really count for much on a thread, there are MANY lurkers on these boards, not that there's anything wrong with that. For what it's worth, I read the pocket book of Art of Peace, but not the full-size one. I would like it if the book were formatted as more of a counter-point to the Art of War, but it is a good book on it's own. I had two copies, so I gave one to a philosophy teacher that I know. I'd be happy to discuss the particulars of the book with you, just let me know which parts you are thinking about and we can get this thread going.

itdoka 11-21-2003 07:50 AM

I tried to convey a lack of structure but sadly the typed word, doesn't convey inonation. That would be great (to discuss it). I was actually looking for a pocket version (didn't even know it existed), maybe santa will grace me with a copy ;) Thanks for replying...I completely forgot about the lurking factor (I tend to lurk in other places, sometimes you just get in a read only mode; totally understandable.

L. Camejo 11-21-2003 08:31 AM

The Art of Peace never leaves my back pocket actually :).

I've been using and applying its philosophies alongside other systems that I align myself with. It's a hell of a thing to live, I tell you :)

I like the fact that there is no story-like structure to the book, just quotations. Because of this I've probably read the pocket version over 50 times, backward and forward.

What can I say, every time I read it the stuff appears in a different light, bringing a new insight on everything from life to doing technique in the dojo. I tend to give the pocket version as gifts to those I think may understand and learn from it.

If you folks wanna chat about it let me know. Think I memorised most of the pages anyway :p.

"He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything" - my fave quote.

L.C.:ai::ki:

itdoka 11-21-2003 08:58 AM

This is great, sorry for my impatience; which in itself is funny considering the book we're discussing ;) I look forward to hearing what you have to say

Josh Bisker 11-21-2003 10:56 AM

Rich - i think that this would probably be more productive for you if you gave your project some more tsructure.

Pick a page or a quotation (or a few) and come up with a few "questions for consideration" regarding your passage. Post those, along with the quote, as a new thread and see if you don't get some thughtful discussion.

Not trying to be bossy, just giving a suggestion for you.

Hmm, who knows - if the idea catches on, maybe you could get a whole new forums section on passage explication.

-Josh