AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Ne1 Do Yoshinkan Aikido? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5178)

*Aiki*Jimmy_yan 03-16-2004 11:23 PM

Ne1 Do Yoshinkan Aikido?

does neone do yoshinkan :ai: :ki: :do:?
just wandering

pls reply if u do :D

later everyone

Ron Tisdale 03-17-2004 08:31 AM

Yes I practice with Yukio Utada Sensei in Phila. Who do you train with? Steven Miranda also posts here, and he trains with Amos Parker Sensei out in California. There are a few others as well. If you do a search on the board for yoshinkan, you'll see posts from a few of us.

Ron

Steven 03-17-2004 09:56 AM

Yoshinkan ...? What's that?

:p

Kensai 03-17-2004 12:30 PM

Hmm....

Yoshinkan folks..... scarey chaps and have strange almost alien like kihon movements.....

Steven 03-17-2004 12:59 PM

Movement is only alien for the first 30 years of practice. Nor do we wear CHAPS or hakama during regular keiko.

:D

Ron Tisdale 03-17-2004 01:17 PM

We won't even get into what we wear (or don't wear) UNDER dogi during keiko, will we?

;>

Doka 03-17-2004 01:46 PM

Hehehe!!! :D

Actually I like the hakama and wear it when teaching mostly (apart from when delving in to kamae and enphasising foot movement, etc. I don't bother with Gi pants when I wear hakama, but in one of the dojo I prctice in it is Gi only, no hakama, then I wear Gi pants. :D

Q. Why would anyone want to train another form of Aikido other than Yoshinkan?

A. If they have TRUELY trained Yoshinkan they won't!

True! True! :ai:

stuartjvnorton 03-17-2004 04:20 PM

Hi Jimmy,

Small world: I train at Shudokan at Thornbury.

Taka also trains at Thornbury and is on this list as well, though usually in lurker mode.

Welcome to the list, & maybe I'll see you on the mats sometime. :-)

Cheers,

Stuart.

Michael Mules 03-17-2004 04:50 PM

Even smaller world! I've recently started training at the Thornbury dojo too. I've been lurking for a while, and I think you've startled my first post out of me.

So, hello! How long have you been training for? (I'm 2 months and counting this time round).

Cheers, Mike

stuartjvnorton 03-17-2004 08:53 PM

Quote:

Michael Mules wrote:
Even smaller world! I've recently started training at the Thornbury dojo too. I've been lurking for a while, and I think you've startled my first post out of me.

So, hello! How long have you been training for? (I'm 2 months and counting this time round).

Cheers, Mike

I've been training at Thornbury for about 1 year, & in Brisbane under Mori sensei for a couple of years before that.

How long did you train for first time? At Shudokan?

Cheers,

Stuart.

Michael Mules 03-17-2004 09:25 PM

Hi Stuart,

I was around for about 5 months in 2002, but had to drop out because of my work load (first-year teacher, and I got in a bit over my head). But now that I'm on top of everything at work, I'm back and loving it. Incidentally, I had the privilege to be at Mori Sensei's seminar in 2002 at the Thornbury dojo working on knife techniques and kihon dosa applications. Absolutely loved it, he was a marvellous teacher.

I also did a few years (4 1/2) of karate back in uni, and some aikiki aikido as well (2 years) during that time.

Cheers, Mike

Nathan Pereira 03-18-2004 01:34 AM

Yes

siwilson 11-17-2004 04:03 PM

Re: Ne1 Do Yoshinkan Aikido?

Yes, I am a Yoshinkan-aikidoka too!!!!

I started in the late Sensei Stratton's UK Shudokan. Sensei EWJ Stratton was the founder of the Yoshinkan in the UK under the Shudokan name in the early '60s. He studied under Thamby Rajah Sensei, who introduced Aikido to Malaysia in the '50s in the Yoshinkan way after studying under Kancho Gozo Shioda Sensei. Stratton Sensei also studied under Shioda Sensei.

I am lucky in that I trained under Stratton Sensei (Wow!), Thamby Rajah Sensei (Wow!), Joe Thambu Sensei (Awesome!), etc.

I now train under Garry Masters Sensei, who is another awesome Yoshinkan teacher! And also another great Yoshinkan teacher, Roger Bish Sensei, plus I get to train with Terry Harrison Sensei too (cool Sensei)!

I am a lucky b******!!!!!!! :D