AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Self defense success story! (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6737)

MitchMZ 10-21-2004 12:46 PM

Self defense success story!

I have been into martial arts on and off for about 5 years...so I have a bit of experience besides the small amount of time I've been in Aikido. So, naturally, I've felt inclined to show people close to me the basic ideas of self defense with the help of my dad (2nd dan Hapkido/blue belt Judo)...not that I'm even close to an expert.

But, I have been working with my dad's girlfriend's daughter. She is 12 years old and very intelligent for her age...but is very naive. The other night we were running through the scenario of multiple attackers. Specifically, if the attackers grab you. She did very bad at first, and I wouldn't let her go until she performed well. I showed her a basic front snap kick (which we have worked on before) to the groin for the first attack, and then basic ikkyo (yeah!) for the person grabbing her shoulder or other arm.

Well, today she had to use what I showed her. When she was getting off the bus and walking two older boys assaulted her (she is a very cute girl). One boy grabbed her arms and the other grabbed her shoulder. The first boy took a kick to the groin, and from what I have been told the second boy's arm was nearly broken by her...but she stopped before she did. Good common sense on her part. I'm very pleased at this outcome, although a ton of force was used...she really had no choice because her lack of training and size and strength disadvantage. I just hope those boys learned their lesson, and I can't imagine they will tell their friends about this, haha. It makes me feel really good that I could help someone, not to mention while using principles that I learned in Aikido. I'll just have to make sure she doesn't boast about this to other kids, that is bad news. I am very proud of her, and suprised that I had enough knowledge to show someone how to defend themselves so effectively.

Ron Tisdale 10-21-2004 12:54 PM

Re: Self defense success story!

Good on you, and good on her.

Far as I'm concerned, they touch, they get broken, tough.

Ron

DarkShodan 10-21-2004 03:21 PM

Awesome! I love to hear stories like this.

Yokaze 10-21-2004 03:57 PM

A sensei once told me in a seminar that once somebody brings violence to you by attacking you unprovoked, they forfeit their right to exist. While that doesn't mean the defender has the right to be the one to end his or her existance, it does mean that any unavoidable damage to the attacker is nothing to be too worried about.

Kristian Miller-Karlsen 10-21-2004 04:54 PM

Right on Rod. I've been taught that we need to do our utmost to protect our attacker, to do so is a sign of a benevolent Aiki spirit, however, we can't always protect an attacker from themselves. Some people are self destructive.

Mitch, Great results mate!

xuzen 10-21-2004 08:49 PM

Wow what confidence booster to the 12 y/o kiddo... The psychological boost she must have.

Boon.

oudbruin 10-21-2004 08:55 PM

Good on you Mitch!
And very good on your 12 y/o friend- she outta get a dan for that one!

Abasan 10-21-2004 10:50 PM

You better teach her more awareness then. Cause there might be reprisals later on from the injured egos. Brave nevertheless.

Devin McDowell 10-22-2004 09:05 AM

Wow, good for her.

kocakb 10-22-2004 09:54 AM

I would recommend her to start training at a dojo, seems to have talent...

senseimike 10-23-2004 08:43 AM

It's great to hear success stories like this. As far as worrying about bringing harm to an attacker, I always tell students, you didn't pick them as an attacker, they picked you as a victim. I also teach females a bit differently than males. Men fight over "really important things" like who's quarters are next on the pool table and who looked at who. Females are attacked for different reasons, which at the very least are traumatic and life altering. I always stress to them, when in a situation like this, you don't owe the attacker anything, again they picked you.

Don_Modesto 10-23-2004 02:36 PM

Quote:

Mike Taylor wrote:
It's great to hear success stories like this. As far as worrying about bringing harm to an attacker, I always tell students, you didn't pick them as an attacker, they picked you as a victim. I also teach females a bit differently than males. Men fight over "really important things" like who's quarters are next on the pool table and who looked at who. Females are attacked for different reasons, which at the very least are traumatic and life altering. I always stress to them, when in a situation like this, you don't owe the attacker anything, again they picked you.

I've seen research reporting that psychological evaluations following up such incidents indicate that women, even when a rape is successfully perpetrated, feel better about themselves if they put up a fight. (in DeBecker's The Gift of Fear?)

MitchMZ 10-24-2004 01:54 PM

Yeah, if she decides to go down the path of martial arts training...then yes, I think she will be quite good someday. As for self-defense, thats what I hope to teach someday. The whole reason for my continued training is so that I can teach others to help themselves in stressful situations. A mind free from fear can react rapidly and effectively in extremely stressful circumstances. The problem is, people don't always have the tools necessary even if they are thinking rationally. AKA: Fight experience, martial arts, etc.