AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Define your own warrior code for living? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5704)

BDuncan 05-27-2004 10:29 PM

Define your own warrior code for living?

How do you seriously define your very own warrior code for living at the present time, if you have one, or had to
have one ?

Largo 05-27-2004 10:36 PM

Re: Define your own warrior code for living?

I have strong feelings, but don't closely define a code. I believe in doing what is necessary, doing it at the right time, and doing it efficiently. That applies to work as well.

As far as what I would fight for, I would say that I would fight to the death to protect my family, loved ones and myself. There's not much else seriously worth fighting for. (On the other hand, I do think some people deserve a good kicking, but I don't take it as my place to hand them out)

SeiserL 05-27-2004 10:44 PM

Having the courage to do the right thing.

PeterR 05-27-2004 11:00 PM

And the wisdom to know when to back off.

aubrey bannah 05-27-2004 11:30 PM

Be at peace with god, whatever you define that to be!

vanstretch 05-28-2004 10:48 AM

10 commandments of specwar by Richard Marcinko.

Jordan Steele 05-28-2004 11:24 AM

I am definitley no warrior, but I try to live by "getting the job done." I know I'd fight for my family, friends, and myself, but I also have tendency to step in and protect others. I've never really thought about this. I just let what happens-happen.

Hara 05-30-2004 09:51 PM

Hmmm,

I'd have to say having a strong core. Everything starts at the core and expands from there. People with strong cores are strong people. Usually when I say core I mean values and fundamentals, but it can apply to the physical, like Hara.

Thus at my core, I have God.

From there I have fundamentals like confidence, persistance (to live and with goal setting), harmony, and health.

This list goes on... but those are the few I can think of on the top of my head.

Steven 05-30-2004 09:58 PM

Quote:

Bill Duncan wrote:
How do you seriously define your very own warrior code for living at the present time, if you have one, or had to
have one ?

and your answer is?

p00kiethebear 05-30-2004 10:13 PM

hmmm...

Having true courage. True courage is the courage to do what is right.

And

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

These are the ways of the warrior.

Amassus 05-30-2004 10:29 PM

Wear your sword on your right side...it is about time left-handers were given a chance.
This is my code :)

Seriously...I guess most of my code was placed upon me by my parents. It was they who taught me my morals and values.

I believe strongly in being honest, but not to the point of being blunt. Integrity is very important.

Infamousapa 05-31-2004 02:43 AM

To me my code is to be a product of God by trying to be pure of body mind and soul..To be or lead by example..To lead the misguided with words or action..To help my brothers and sisters(the world)by leading them to the light..To take the hostile and turn their hostility against them..To take action of what i think or see is wrong.To step up the plate to the wicked and create speed bumps in their lives to help them start thinking about their lives and how they are living..To help the helpless victims in time of need..And last and foremost to serve my GOD FOR HE IS EVERYTHING AND I AM NOTHING..TO BE HUMBLE AS A MAN AND AS A WARRIOR....FOR JESUS LIVES

PeterR 05-31-2004 03:12 AM

That's a priest not a warrior.

Quote:

Tony Sapa wrote:
To me my code is to be a product of God by trying to be pure of body mind and soul..To be or lead by example..To lead the misguided with words or action..To help my brothers and sisters(the world)by leading them to the light..To take the hostile and turn their hostility against them..To take action of what i think or see is wrong.To step up the plate to the wicked and create speed bumps in their lives to help them start thinking about their lives and how they are living..To help the helpless victims in time of need..And last and foremost to serve my GOD FOR HE IS EVERYTHING AND I AM NOTHING..TO BE HUMBLE AS A MAN AND AS A WARRIOR....FOR JESUS LIVES

Zato Ichi 05-31-2004 03:40 AM

Quote:

Conan wrote:
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!

Okay, bad joke, but if I didn't do it, someone else would have :D

shihonage 05-31-2004 06:12 AM

My warrior code is 12345

Jorx 05-31-2004 07:10 AM

It was not Conan... Conan just quoted Gengis Khan...

Why need to define that code?

"Word is not the thing" (Krishnamurthi)

Bronson 05-31-2004 07:19 PM

Quote:

Bill Duncan wrote:
How do you seriously define your very own warrior code for living at the present time, if you have one, or had to have one ?

Fill what's empty, empty what's full, scratch what itches :D

Bronson

Largo 05-31-2004 11:28 PM

Anyone see Troy? Hector said something like "Respect the gods, love your woman, fight for your country". I kinda liked it.

Ian Williams 06-01-2004 12:27 AM

Be nice to yourself and your mother.

vanstretch 06-01-2004 05:26 AM

to alex and jordan-interesting to quote the conan movie, did u know that Schwarzenegger's mail order address was 12345 in venice? weird.

Troy 06-01-2004 05:53 AM

My warrior core is simple.
The strong protect the weak, so the weak may become strong.

jxa127 06-01-2004 09:42 AM

Quote:

Bill Duncan wrote:
have one ?

Why does there have to be a warrior code? How many of us are truly warriors?

I believe aikido is a fantastic art for resolving conflict and self defense. It can include lethal or very damaging reponses to attacks. Great stuff. It's also a really good tool for learning more about one's self.

BUT, studying aikido does not make me a warrior. I'm not part of a nation's armed forces. I don't train to kill people and take territory (Army/Marines), patrol the seas (Navy), or shoot down planes/bomb the ground (Air Force).

Okay, so you don't have to be a warrior to live by the warrior's code. I believe in honor and integrity, both things expected of military personnel. But much of the modern warrior code has to do with how one should behave relative to the military hierarchy -- something I'm not a part of.

Ah, but aikido is descended from samurai arts, so we'll use that warrior code. The problem with this approach is that the samurai code that most people think of is a romantic ideal that is historically dubious. Furthermore, it also deals with how to behave relative to one's place in society and includes a lot of oppression of the lower classes and the demand for total sacrifice of to one's lord.

Bottom line: I'm not a warrior and don't want to be. Studying aikido no more makes one a warrior than standing in a garage makes one a car.

My code is based on my upbringing, religious beliefs, and life experiences. Aikido complements and enhances my sense of ethics when it comes to conflicts. It does not define them.

Regards,

Hagen Seibert 06-01-2004 11:48 AM

I agree with Drew,

a warrior attitude or mind is not reachable for us who live in a rather peaceful society even if we study martial arts.
Because we do not experience and do not have to decide upon a risk of life in combat.

Consequently making up a code of living based on not-experience doesnīt make sense.
Itīs a kind of romanticism.

Bronson 06-01-2004 11:53 AM

It's kinda like an astronomy student making/living by an astronaut's code :D

Bronson

Largo 06-01-2004 08:10 PM

From what (little) I've studied of the samurai, their 'code' would probably be close to my signature- the weak are food for the strong. Cool image, but not the nicest of people. Remember, at the end of the day, what really mattered was who was stronger, better fighter, etc. Loyalty that doesn't accomplish anything doesn't mean much, then or now.