AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Poll: Do you think your aikido dojo would survive without its chief instructor(s)? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7212)

AikiWeb System 12-26-2004 12:30 AM

Poll: Do you think your aikido dojo would survive without its chief instructor(s)?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of December 26, 2004:

Do you think your aikido dojo would survive without its chief instructor(s)?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.

DaveO 12-26-2004 03:31 PM

Re: Poll: Do you think your aikido dojo would survive without its chief instructor(s)?

Good question.
Ours would; I think; though it wouldn't nearly be as fun a place as it is.
We'd be able to muddle through until someone else capable (and of the appropriate rank) came along; though at the moment there's no-one else immediately available (rank wise) to step into the breach. :)

MaryKaye 12-27-2004 12:49 AM

Re: Poll: Do you think your aikido dojo would survive without its chief instructor(s)?

I know we could, because we are....(health issues).

We have a strong "learning to teach" emphasis so there are a lot of people who can teach at various levels--that hasn't been a big problem. Strategic decision-making is a much bigger one. It's tempting to put decisions off but that only works for so long.

I think it helps a lot if responsibility is already shared before the crisis hits; if an organization is run by one person, his/her absence is likely to destroy it. If an organization plans to last a long time it's important to have at least two people (ideally more) who can carry out any given task--do the budget, pay the taxes/bills/rent, plan the schedule, set the syllabus, whatever.

Mary Kaye

PeterR 12-27-2004 12:54 AM

Re: Poll: Do you think your aikido dojo would survive without its chief instructor(s)

For Honbu no problem. A strong core and a coveted position.

For my group - that depends on Honbu.

Don't want either to happen.

Neil Mick 12-27-2004 05:27 PM

It would be a different place without Sensei; but yes--I believe the dojo would carry on, in her absence.

seank 12-27-2004 06:00 PM

I hope so. We are facing losing our chief instructor at present (he has decided to move on to other things (and inter-state)). Our Sempai is working hard to prepare for the inevitable hole this will leave, but it will still be a lot of work for everyone.

I do think that a change like this tests the mettle of the dojo and the quality of the students; it is by everyone accepting responsibility that I believe we have a good chance of continuing and surviving.

Qatana 12-27-2004 07:42 PM

I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure that those of us who have chosen our dojo did so because we chose Sensei., not a location or a pedigree- the other sensei in this town has exactly the same lineage.

SeiserL 12-28-2004 08:30 AM

Phong Sensei (Tenshinkai Aikido) would be an impossible act to follow. To honor him, many of us would so our best. It would not be the same.

Charles Hill 12-28-2004 09:31 AM

I think that this is a difference between most Japanese and American dojo. (I don't know about other countries.) In my experience, every Japanese dojo is strongly centered around a specific individual. We don't study Aikido, we (ideally) study the instructor. In contrast, in the States, I often hear things like, students should learn from a variety of sources, go to other dojo and seminars and come back and share what you learned, you have to discover "your" Aikido, etc. I think that this is a huge difference that doesn't get a lot of attention. In my dojo, the answer is a 100% no.

Charles Hill

BC 12-28-2004 11:45 AM

Re: Poll: Do you think your aikido dojo would survive without its chief instructor(s)

Quote:

AikiWeb System wrote:
AikiWeb Poll for the week of December 26, 2004:

Do you think your aikido dojo would survive without its chief instructor(s)?

Mine has

Bronson 12-28-2004 02:02 PM

If we lost both senior instructors at my sensei's dojo I think it would struggle for a while but eventually fold. One or two of the senior students might start their own clubs/classes but those would be their own entities.

If I was no longer available to teach at the dojo I'm at I have no doubt it would continue in some fashion.

Bronson

MaryKaye 12-28-2004 06:02 PM

I come from definitely an "American-style" dojo in that regard. For my first year I wondered if I was anyone's student in particular. Then I visited another school of our style; they looked at me and said "You're Grigsby sensei's student!" and I decided that was probably true.... No idea what they were looking at, though.

Mary Kaye

Lan Powers 12-28-2004 06:51 PM

>If we lost both senior instructors at my sensei's dojo I think it would struggle for a while but eventually fold<
Pretty much the same thoughts here. It would stagger, and eventually stop (in it's current incarnation)
but the "core" folk would still train somewhere .
I would hate to see that.
Lan

PeterR 12-28-2004 07:22 PM

Quote:

Charles Hill wrote:
I think that this is a difference between most Japanese and American dojo. (I don't know about other countries.) In my experience, every Japanese dojo is strongly centered around a specific individual. We don't study Aikido, we (ideally) study the instructor. In contrast, in the States, I often hear things like, students should learn from a variety of sources, go to other dojo and seminars and come back and share what you learned, you have to discover "your" Aikido, etc. I think that this is a huge difference that doesn't get a lot of attention. In my dojo, the answer is a 100% no.
Charles Hill

Hi Charles - very good point about the difference. However, numerous examples of a student or group of students taking the place of a dead sensei in Japan. Often, with advancing old age, there is an effort to designate successor.