AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Techniques (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Initial techniques (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1578)

Johan Tibell 03-06-2002 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mares
Coming from an Iwama Ryu dojo I would say the first three techniques to concentrate on are

-Tai no henko
-Morote dori kokyu ho
-Suwari waza kokyu ho

Then Shomen uchi Ikkyo omote and ura waza

I agree but also read my post above about what O-Sensei thought (at a certain point of time). Understanding why he said what he said might prove useful.

- Johan

Paul Clark 03-06-2002 09:19 AM

If you're looking for a way to "study" outside of class, learn the Japanes names, and refresh/reinforce your memory of techniques, try this iwama-ryu website for a teaser:

http://www.ysaohio.com/

Click the "Test Requirements AVIs" like on the lower left. These are (most of) the techniques required for testing at our dojo for the first few tests, so may be ideal for you. There's a video clip of each technique that you can watch as many times as you like. Please note as someone says above, be careful of what style you're studying. These demos are all Iwama-ryu.

If that whets your appetite, Click the "Instructional CDs" link in the upper right corner. The 4 CD set can be had for about $80, and has video clips of hundreds of techniques of taijutusu, bukiwaza, and oyowaza, as well as a more complete set of test clips through ikkyu. A rough approximation of Saito sensei's whole Takemusu Aikido book series, but in full color and motion.

I sympathize with you, I had the same itch when I started. Hope this helps you scratch it.

gambatte kudasai
Paul

Greg Jennings 03-11-2002 08:39 PM

I strongly second Paul Clark's recommendation of the Yellow Springs AVIs and the CD-ROMs that the dojo sells.

I bought a DVD player tonight that plays Windows Video format just to have a better platform for viewing them.

I also recommend Saito Sensei's Takemusu Aikido series. Unfortunately, volume 1 that covers ikkyo through yonkyo is out of print.

Best,

Bruce Baker 03-16-2002 11:18 AM

Language unknown?

There us no way to instantly learn language, customs, and methods of another culture, but we try, none the less.

Like some of the other trees who practice Aikido, sometimes my head is as thick as me arms, legs, and middle aged Buddha belly? So, don't force your brain to strain, it will become second nature as time passes.

One, two, three, four ... ich, ni, san, shee will find their way into your brain and be second nature. You might even sometimes use them by mistake in daily life.

In the meantime, immitate! It is the sincerest form of flattery, isn't it?

Just having fun getting into the flow of movement will be enough work. Sometimes I think that we cover the basics too much, as every couple of weeks our instructor goes back to basics when he see's sloppiness by some of us trying to get to the pin too fast without taking time to appreciate the beginning and middle of a technique. We can't all videotape each pratice, but watching a class always helps allign the mind.

Many times, because of balance illness, I am forced to stop in the middle of the class because the room is spinning, but then as I get level and get caught up on what the class is doing, I see figure eight, also infinity symbol, or the circular movement, or the rowing motion, or the whip motion that we try to use to describe the many of the hand movements in techniques.

My language of japanese terms still isn't what it should be, but putting together different body areas, simple numbers, and doing them thousands of times will make it happen.

Then some fool will describe them in another language, and your brain will explode ... just kidding?

Start with one, two, three, entering, and rotary throw ... the rest will come.

Have Fun!