AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anonymous (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   A Weird Testing Thing (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16582)

Frances Bacon 08-05-2009 11:41 AM

A Weird Testing Thing

I attend a small dojo where there is not ability to have advanced class becasue we are too small.

Our dojo seems to have philosophy of test when you have the hours to test. But since we are so small we don't always have enough time to go over each technique that will be on the test. So, even tho body movement may be at the right level for passing the test, there is some concern that the technique is not there.

In perfect world, yes, we are ready to test when we test, but situation means we aren't always.

This is for levels before black belt test, FYI.

A friend who also attends dojo is getting frustrated about testing requirements. Friend does not want to take test unless sure of passing. Feels somewhat pressured to test but does not feel ready.

Thoughts?

decision 08-06-2009 02:29 PM

Re: A Wierd Testing Thing

When you are at blackbelt level I feel you should test when you think your ready but your instructors have seen your progression through the ranks and that holds a lot of weight on whether I,m ready or not.

Janet Rosen 08-06-2009 03:33 PM

I think that if there is to be testing and it is based on technique, the dojo - instructor and students - need to support students in preparing by presenting opportunities to work on the technique, if not within limited class time (which is optimal) then by having some open mat times when students can at least work informally.

Frances Bacon 08-11-2009 10:04 AM

Thank you for the responses.

I am also following a forum in the main area, but not replying, about testing that is been enligtening.

About pop quiz tests which seems to happen kind of frequently. It has been instructive as well.

David Orange 08-11-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Anonymous User wrote: (Post 236748)
Our dojo seems to have philosophy of test when you have the hours to test. But since we are so small we don't always have enough time to go over each technique that will be on the test.

Why is that? The fewer people there are, the more time you have to go over anything and everything in extreme detail. I could see the problem if you said you had too many people, but the fewer the students, the more time you have.

David

odudog 08-11-2009 06:16 PM

You need to practice your test techniques on your own at home. Take one technique a week for example and disect the hell out of it. You will then have very specific questions to ask your Sensei during or after class. You are in charge of your aikido, not your Sensei.

ChrisHein 08-11-2009 11:32 PM

Re: A Weird Testing Thing

No matter what kind of dojo you are in, people are going to second guess whether they are ready to test or not. I've been in large dojo's and small, and in both case's the things you describe are the same.

Your teacher knows more about Aikido then you, so trust him. If you can't trust that he knows better then you, don't train with him.