AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Good Training Videos? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4723)

BLangille 12-02-2003 08:48 AM

Good Training Videos?

Can anyone recommend a good Aikido video? I would like to be able to practice basic movements at home to reinforce what I learn in class. I also would like to learn the names of the techniques. Has anyone seen Yoshinkan Aikido DVD Box Set #1 Originally released as a 10 part VHS series? Any thoughts?

link to Yoshinkan Aikido video

Thanks!

aikidoc 12-02-2003 10:40 AM

It would help to know what style of aikido you practice: aikikai, yoshinkan, ki?

BLangille 12-02-2003 06:43 PM

Good point, Its aikikai. To be honest I dont know the difference between the styles yet.

aikidoc 12-02-2003 08:51 PM

Saotome has a good tape called Principles of Aikido.

Paul Klembeck 12-03-2003 02:41 AM

The yoshinkan tapes/dvds are excellent, but will probably mislead you with your current affiliation and level of training.

You will need to let people know your lineage (organization) to help you. Aikikai is an umbrella organization and has a wide variety of exponents.

Paul

JJF 12-03-2003 02:51 AM

At first let me point out that I am VERY biased in this question. I would recommend any tape by Nishio sensei. They are good tapes with many nice details. However for a beginner in a different style than the one Nishio sensei teaches, they could probably confuse more than they explain. I guess that's pretty much the deal with any video about aikido.

Why don't you ask your sensei ?

DCP 12-03-2003 07:37 AM

I haven't seen many videos, but I really like Ikeda Sensei's series (Buki, Za, Irimi, and Koshi). They include drills that help learn the movements. You can get these from http://www.bujindesign.com/

There are some clips on the site to preview.

Brad Pruitt 08-10-2006 11:17 PM

Re: Good Training Videos?

Aikido3D has been a valuable learning tool for me.This is a software program for your computer you can check it out at aikido3d.com

Brad

Neal Earhart 08-11-2006 05:59 AM

You may want to look into Yamada Sensei's "Aikido: The Power and the Basics" series. The series is well done. The techniques are clearly demonstrated with commentary.

http://www.aikidoonline.com/

At aikidoonline, there are some very good DVD's by many of the Shihans.

and as mentioned by Brad, Aikido3D is a great tool for learning technique.

Mark Uttech 08-11-2006 02:23 PM

Your safest bet is to ask your own sensei. This is because your own sensei is going to recommend the aikido tapes that helped him/her, and will also help him/her help you. In gassho

Michael Wiest 08-11-2006 02:44 PM

I agree that the Yamada Power and the Basics series is clear and helpful for learning the basic techniques (as opposed to showing lots of impressive but confusing action sequences).

Does anyone have experience with Chiba Sensei's 4-DVD series from videos shot around 1992? I'm thinking I might like to pick those up because his aikido seems so sharp and faithful to OSensei's aikido.

Mark Uttech 08-11-2006 03:51 PM

Michael, I invested in Chiba Sensei's 4-DVD series and it is a lot of bang for your buck! I very highly recommend it! In gassho.

davidafindlay 08-15-2006 06:50 AM

Hi there,

This might not be what you're thinking about, but I reckon one of the best training videos is a video of yourself.

Ask a dojo-mate to video a bit of regular practise - try not to get a demonstration or a grading or similar (though sure, that's fine too) - I reckon au naturale is better for seeing how much there is to improve!

It only takes about half a minute to see a dozen bad habits, how slow we move (compred to all shihan in the cool vids you can buy) and how early we respond to uke. By the latter I mean that often as tori we can wait a lot longer until uke is fully committed, rather than moving too early.

Certainly gives a lot of food for thought, and its directed directly at ... you! :)

Cheers,
Dave Findlay

wayneth 08-24-2006 08:42 AM

Why not give the Yoshinkan Aikido DVD set, I think that is what it is called. YOSHINKAN AIKIDO DVD BOX SET: COMPLETE TECHNIQUES. I personally recommend it, although not good for my version of Aikido; myself being Aikikai. But it has greatly helped in the way to do techniques.
Wayne

justin 08-24-2006 02:19 PM

Quote:

Mark Uttech wrote:
Michael, I invested in Chiba Sensei's 4-DVD series and it is a lot of bang for your buck! I very highly recommend it! In gassho.

not sure if i have the same one as you mark "technical guidelines 5th kyu through 1st kyu" if it is then i would second your suggestion, not sure if i would like to be uke for him though looks very powerfull dont think i would last long :hypno:

Brad Pruitt 08-24-2006 11:03 PM

Quote:

Hi there,

This might not be what you're thinking about, but I reckon one of the best training videos is a video of yourself.

Ask a dojo-mate to video a bit of regular practise - try not to get a demonstration or a grading or similar (though sure, that's fine too) - I reckon au naturale is better for seeing how much there is to improve!

It only takes about half a minute to see a dozen bad habits, how slow we move (compred to all shihan in the cool vids you can buy) and how early we respond to uke. By the latter I mean that often as tori we can wait a lot longer until uke is fully committed, rather than moving too early.

Certainly gives a lot of food for thought, and its directed directly at ... you! :)

Cheers,
Dave Findlay
We just started taking video of ourselves at our Saturday open class and it's been pretty insightful. I most definitely would recommend it.

Mark Uttech 08-25-2006 02:50 PM

Justin, I bought the dvd set after viewing a few tapes of Chiba sensei at a friend's house. I bought the dvd set to "study how to take ukemi from that type of aikido". But, yes, you probably have the same video set.

In gassho
Mark