AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Master Minoru Mochizuki's Book? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22949)

Robert Cheshire 09-04-2013 02:56 PM

Master Minoru Mochizuki's Book?

I have tried off and on for about 20 years to get a hard or PDF copy of Minoru Mochizuki's book that has been out of print for a little longer than I've looked for it. I have seen it but the people that have had it , understanderling so, have not wanted to depart with it.

Just wondering if there are any known PDF copies of it out there.

:ai: :ki: :do:

ChrisHein 09-04-2013 09:11 PM

Re: Master Minoru Mochizuki's Book?

I too would like a copy!

Scott Harrington 09-04-2013 09:50 PM

But it is in French. Actually not a bad book. Has some dangerous techniques not considered "proper" Aikido.

Looking at now. I have it and you don't.

Send private message. Must trade with strong aiki.

Scott Harrington

Demetrio Cereijo 09-05-2013 03:59 AM

Quote:

Chris Hein wrote: (Post 329664)
I too would like a copy!

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=13

Robert Cheshire 09-05-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Scott Harrington wrote: (Post 329666)
But it is in French. Actually not a bad book. Has some dangerous techniques not considered "proper" Aikido.

Looking at now. I have it and you don't.

Send private message. Must trade with strong aiki.

Scott Harrington

PM Sent with plenty of :ai: :ki: ;)

Robert Cheshire 09-05-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Demetrio Cereijo wrote: (Post 329675)

Could only see a little of this great book. I'm not sure if it has been translated from the original one that I have seen before that is in Japanese. If you have an electronic copy could you PM me?

Thanks!

ChrisHein 09-06-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Demetrio Cereijo wrote: (Post 329675)

Just checking here, so this is a pay service that lets you download the pdf?

I wouldn't mind doing that, as it's hard to find this book, I'm just making sure.

Robert Cheshire 09-06-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Chris Hein wrote: (Post 329741)
Just checking here, so this is a pay service that lets you download the pdf?

I wouldn't mind doing that, as it's hard to find this book, I'm just making sure.

It is a pay site to access various uploaded documents. This book appears to be the French one that Master Minoru had published. I don't know if it is a translation of his one in Japanese. The preview looks as if it were photocopied/scanned. That is fine of course but it doesn't appear to be a clean/ebook quality. Please let me know (you can do it via PM) how it looks if you do end up downloading it.

Scott Harrington 09-06-2013 03:56 PM

On the road. Will post a few pics saturday to show the flavor. Some different nomenclature and variations - nice.
Scott h.

Scott Harrington 09-13-2013 08:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the promised postings of Master MM's book.

There are some great foreign books out that show a different take on Ueshiba's Aikido.

Tohei gets all the big press in the United States for early pics (and influence) along with Shioda (who's imprinted distinctive stance is quite distinctive). Those two couldn't have been more different.

MM's early Daito ryu influenced Aikido, along with his other Martial arts training is quite distinctive.

The first pic is an enfolding armbar which can be quite dangerous to uke.

The second pic is a one-handed shiho nage (I am quite enamored with one hand techniques, which while requiring some grip strength are more martial in application). Two handed is wussy! (just kidding)

The third pic is a no hands pin with a 'clamping action' leading to a throw.

Scott Harrington

Scott Harrington 09-13-2013 08:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are two interesting anime pics of MM's Aikido. Very different look as an instructional manual - comic book Aikido.

Surprisingly, the book covers stuff (in little detail) from kicking, striking, archery, horseback techniques, and regular Aikido waza.

Scott Harrington

Demetrio Cereijo 09-13-2013 09:54 AM

Haven't you people ever heard about google?

http://alaruex1.free.fr/Documents/00-Arts%20martiaux/Aikido/Ma%20methode%20d'aikido%20jiu-jitsu%20-%20minoru%20mochizuki.pdf

ChrisHein 09-13-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Demetrio Cereijo wrote: (Post 329903)

HAHAHA! I will never dispute your power to find great things on the internet Demetrio!! Thanks!

Robert Cheshire 09-13-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Scott Harrington wrote: (Post 329896)
Here are the promised postings of Master MM's book.

The first pic is an enfolding armbar which can be quite dangerous to uke.

Scott Harrington

This is actually a fairly simple throw that "looks" worse than it is. We teach it as one of the first throws we do. Now that being said - it can become a nasty throw when done at advanced levels.

Yoseikan: English (Aikikai, Yoshinkan, Shodokan)
Tenbin Nage: Yoke/Scale Throw ( -, Hiji Ate Kokyu Nage, Mae Otoshi)

Thanks again for sharing!

Robert Cheshire 09-13-2013 02:33 PM

Scott - I think I've seen that anime before but can't really remember where.

JW 09-13-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Scott Harrington wrote: (Post 329896)
The second pic is a one-handed shiho nage (I am quite enamored with one hand techniques, which while requiring some grip strength are more martial in application).

Thanks for the pics! Isn't that one a sankyo rather than a shihonage though?

And, I do love that no-hands throw image. Of course, such things would have to be practiced while keeping close in mind the question, "why does uke keep holding on?"

Robert Cheshire 09-13-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Jonathan Wong wrote: (Post 329918)
Thanks for the pics! Isn't that one a sankyo rather than a shihonage though?

And, I do love that no-hands throw image. Of course, such things would have to be practiced while keeping close in mind the question, "why does uke keep holding on?"

Uke is holding on still because the attack was a choke from behind (Ushiro kubi jime katate dori) and his hand is still caught on the lapel after the escape. This is actually an advanced version of the throw from picture #1.

You would call that one Sankyo - in Yoseikan it's called Yuki Chigai.

Scott Harrington 09-13-2013 07:19 PM

JW - you are correct! It is Sankyo or a host of other names.

It is interesting to see how Ueshiba's students probably had just as hard a time with nomenclature as Ueshiba had with Takeda Sokaku. Words, even in Japanese, do mean things and one of the difficulties with an instructor, wherever you are located, must find the best system to teach techniques.

Still a believer in one-handed techniques.

Scott Harrington

Robert Cheshire 09-13-2013 09:25 PM

I remember reading somewhere when MM was asked why he called techniques the names he did (the one in questions was robuse versus ikkyu) instead of the names used at the Aikikai and MM simply stated that when he learned the technique O Sensei called it robuse so he does too.

Scott Harrington 09-16-2013 02:52 PM

Robert,

Can confirm that 'robuse' was an earlier term to name / describe what is now generally referred as ikkko, ikkajo, first control, etc.

For a very short time in California I had the pleasure and good luck to take just a few classes with a great sensei who had trained directly with O;sensei. In a casual remark in class, 'robuse' was mentioned as alternate name.

I believe (let's not get into a Japanese language war here) it comes from 'ro' which is Japanese term for oar but is different from western use - better term would be scullying. Period Japanese rowing manuals show similar grasping that would be used for the first arm control technique. Add to the mix the rowing techniques of Funakogi undō derived from Shinto exercises and it makes sense.

Was it a Daito ryu name? I don't know. Did O'sensei come up with it to better describe the technique? I don't know. I have also been told the rowing exercises are NOT from the Daito ryu teaching curriculum.

Scott Harrington

Robert Cheshire 09-16-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Scott Harrington wrote: (Post 329969)
Robert,

Can confirm that 'robuse' was an earlier term to name / describe what is now generally referred as ikkko, ikkajo, first control, etc.

For a very short time in California I had the pleasure and good luck to take just a few classes with a great sensei who had trained directly with O;sensei. In a casual remark in class, 'robuse' was mentioned as alternate name.

I believe (let's not get into a Japanese language war here) it comes from 'ro' which is Japanese term for oar but is different from western use - better term would be scullying. Period Japanese rowing manuals show similar grasping that would be used for the first arm control technique. Add to the mix the rowing techniques of Funakogi undō derived from Shinto exercises and it makes sense.

Was it a Daito ryu name? I don't know. Did O'sensei come up with it to better describe the technique? I don't know. I have also been told the rowing exercises are NOT from the Daito ryu teaching curriculum.

Scott Harrington

I actually learned that "arm rowing" was the "literal" translation because of the way you would row the boat (as you described). I'm not sure where O Sensei picked up/out the names but know that our Yoseikan Budo names (when translated) are very desriptive of the movement/throw you're doing. Interesting that all three of the great Masters that MM worked with were descriptive in their terminology rather than names that sounded "pretty" or flowery.

David Orange 09-03-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Robert Cheshire wrote: (Post 329659)
I have tried off and on for about 20 years to get a hard or PDF copy of Minoru Mochizuki's book that has been out of print for a little longer than I've looked for it. I have seen it but the people that have had it , understanderling so, have not wanted to depart with it.

Just wondering if there are any known PDF copies of it out there.

:ai: :ki: :do:

Sensei wrote a number of books over the years. Which one do you mean?

He gave me copies of two or three in addition to a hardcover book he wrote.

lifestylemanoz 10-07-2014 03:11 AM

There are some great videos around too for purchase:)

Robert Cheshire 04-13-2015 12:43 PM

Quote:

David Orange wrote: (Post 339389)
Sensei wrote a number of books over the years. Which one do you mean?

He gave me copies of two or three in addition to a hardcover book he wrote.

David - I can't believe I didn't see your response from so long ago on here. I was doing a Google search on something else and it showed up.

My students got me one of Mochizuki Sensei's book (Japanese Budo has lost/forgotten it's way). I was thinking of the one where he shows some of the suwari iai as well as other techniques and kata in the system. The one that USYBA used to have available to students that were Sankyu or higher is the one I'm thinking of. They had ran out of them by the time I was a Sankyu and the book was out of print I believe afterwards.