AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Is additional trainig good on a grading day? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4015)

taras 06-20-2003 06:50 AM

Is additional trainig good on a grading day?

I've got grading tomorrow at 2.30 I just met some people who invited me to train with them in a new dojo between 12 and 2.00 tomorrow. I'd really like to come but I am wondering if it may affect my performance at the grading. I am not going to do 6 hours of randori:D but I thought maybe if I warm myself up for a couple of hours it might help. What do you think?

Ghost Fox 06-20-2003 07:38 AM

Just take it light and go at about 1/4 speed. You don't want to be winded or injured for your grading.

SmilingNage 06-20-2003 08:15 AM

I would just go over the opening movements to your testing requirements. Nice an easy, do all the different openings for the technique. Anything more is to much.

jxa127 06-24-2003 11:18 AM

Geez. We actually train for a while at our dojo before we train. Before my most recent test (a few weeks ago), we trained for almost an hour and a half before testing. We were all pretty tired at that point.

Regards,

-Drew

Kevin Wilbanks 06-24-2003 12:16 PM

I would say it depends upon your level of conditioning and your psychological disposition. If you're in excellent shape, the earlier training won't matter much, unless you get hurt. On the other hand, if you're out of shape, it might make you listless during the test. The other thing I was thinking was that if you get really nervous about testing, getting a little worn out ahead of time might help reduce your anxiety level somewhat.

Daniel Blanco 06-24-2003 01:03 PM

I agree with Damion go slow and as to get the form of all your moves. I am testing on 6/27/03 for my 4TH Q Exam wish me luck.

Largo 06-24-2003 06:51 PM

We don't really get a choice. Our tests are after a day-long seminar. Spend the whole day doing brand new techniques/ applications, and then go back to the old stuff for the test (unless sensei descides to change the test at the last minute)

deepsoup 06-25-2003 01:18 PM

Quote:

Drew Ames (jxa127) wrote:
We actually train for a while at our dojo before we train.

Is that a Zen koan, Drew? :)

jxa127 06-25-2003 02:06 PM

Quote:

Sean Orchard (deepsoup) wrote:
Is that a Zen koan, Drew? :)

Uh... Yeah! That's it. Now, think about it for a while. :D

-Drew

P.S. I meant that we usually train for a while before testing. The goal is actually to get us a bit tired and a bit relaxed.

Thalib 06-25-2003 05:23 PM

Before the grading I had last time, we had a mini seminar. The grading was around 1300hrs if I remember, and we practiced from 0800-1200.

During the grading I was feeling strangely calm. More than just confident, but energized also (like the bunny :p). The grading felt really light, I was breathing normally, not out of breath.

My only problem was that my bad knee was acting up, but I managed.

sanosuke 06-25-2003 06:15 PM

usually the grading in our dojo is held after the regular class. The point is to warm the body up and maybe to revise some techniques that you still not sure about.

So, I suggest that just take up the invitation, just make sure that you don't get injured.

the slayer 07-16-2003 01:49 PM

in our dojo we have a warm up first then sensei ezra says anyone taking a grading want to go over a technique.and we either say yes or no.i had a grading on the 8th july 2003.i passed so now i am a 5th kyu.i have knee problems and halfway through my knees went on me so i got back up and carried on even though my knees were killing me and i could not breathe.

Pretoriano 07-21-2003 08:45 PM

Personal energy

[quote="Kevin Wilbanks]"I would say it depends upon your level of conditioning and your psychological disposition. If you're in excellent shape, the earlier training won't matter much, unless you get hurt"

----------------------------------------------

Exacto!, and if for any reason you get hurt and couldnt take test, there is no luck thing, simple means was not your time.

I saw this last years a fellow hurted his lower leg just about couple hours before shodan test, wise he desisted and waited trough next seminar he was ready to test even injured. We had lunch together, the guy was so sad he brought his wife and daughter to see his promo, "it is not your time, stay happy and wait, dont let your hurted leg to make you make bad test"

Praetoriano