AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Training while tired... (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9238)

dj_swim 11-10-2005 09:17 AM

Training while tired...

Alright veterans... a new day and a new question from the ultra-newbie (there has to be a word in Japanese for this, right?).

I am physically exhausted... I mean really tired. However, I really want to go to class tonight anyway. I know in some sports/physical activities it is a good idea to go when tired because it'll give you more energy and whatnot, but I don't know how this applies to Aikido... any advice? Thanks!

-Doug

Dazzler 11-10-2005 09:33 AM

Re: Training while tired...

Go.

You will feel better for it.

D

James Davis 11-10-2005 10:14 AM

Quote:

Daren Sims wrote:
Go.

You will feel better for it.

D

Oh yeah! :D

DarkShodan 11-10-2005 10:24 AM

Just keep practicing. If I used the excuse I am tired, I'd never make it to practice. Keeps the blood flowing. You'll forget your tired once you get there. Also, it's good to know how you move and act when you're tired. You can't tell the guy on the street, "Hey, I'm really tired. Can you attack me tomorrow? Thanks man."

Karen Wolek 11-10-2005 10:30 AM

I'm with the others. Go. I just told a beginner last night who said she was in bed and her dad told her she had to go to class with him......sometimes you are so tired, you don't want to go. But once you are at the dojo, you feel ok. After class, you feel awesome.

Sometimes I'm so tired before class (I have three kids and insomnia and I don't drink coffee) that I can barely get myself there. But afterwards, I have so much energy I can't sleep. Ha.

aikidojoe 11-10-2005 11:10 AM

If you're physically tired, make sure you drink enough water so you don't cramp up, or tear something. Stretch and warm up properly. Otherwise train. If you get dizzy, or start to feel awful once on the mat, then you've hit your limitation. Tell your sensei and go sit down.

You need to train in any and all situations. Think of it this way. In a self defense scenario, you can't tell your opponent that you're too tired. I hear SOME aikidoka even train hung over........
:hypno:

dj_swim 11-10-2005 11:30 AM

Aikidoka... I'm guessing that's "student", or is it more specific than that?

Thanks for the advice! I wanted to go anyway (I used to swim and play soccer in college, and practicing when tired was a great way to get energy back... or at least ensure a good nights sleep :) )

As for practicing hungover.... well... yeah.... I plead the 5th (although I can honestly say that I haven't gone to the dojo hungover (tonight will be my third class :D ) )

<Edit> Hey, sometimes telling someone not to attack you because you're tired may work! I've actually avoided a fight in a bar before by saying "Hey man... I feel like crap right now... you mind if we do this later?" the guy just looked confused and stumbled off... brilliant! </Edit>

aikidojoe 11-10-2005 11:46 AM

Aikidoka simply means aikido student(s).

DarkShodan 11-10-2005 02:54 PM

I think training under new circumstances can be helpful. Always wondered how I would do in the parking lot outside the local buffet? I'd probably be able to defend myself at first and then puke my guts out! An effective atemi? That's for another thread. Training while hung over can be an enlightening experience...um....or so I am told. (sorry sensei) I don't recommend practicing Aikido while intoxicated, although it's a good experience to learn control and what your capable of doing.....er......um.....so I am told. :blush:

aikigirl10 11-10-2005 03:07 PM

Pick up a red bull and tough it out. Thats what i do when im tired, seems to work! :o :hypno: :D

Adam Huss 11-10-2005 04:14 PM

marubashi!

Conrad Gus 11-10-2005 05:08 PM

Quote:

Joe Varano wrote:
Aikidoka simply means aikido student(s).

My Sensei actually discourages us to use the word. He's Japanese and claims that the word actually has the connotation of "someone who has totally dedicated their life to aikido".

Apparently nobody in our dojo fits the description. :)

Dirk Hanss 11-11-2005 03:53 AM

I just do not recommend to take Red Bull, Flying Horse, coffee or other pep up drugs. Water and warm up is fine.

Neverthess I propose to do practice as all the others. You should be aware of being tired. So be careful not to injure your partner and not to get injured. I would slow down a bit. Then you have a double effect. First you improve your skills even when tired. I won't stress on the "being attacked in the stret arguement", but it is good for many every-day situations. And you might learn that you can handle even a fast attack with much slower response. This experience is very important.

Well sometimes I am too slow and then I get bumped, but it is still better than hectic moves leading to bad technique.

You probably sleep well afterwards.

Ciao Dirk

dj_swim 11-11-2005 08:30 AM

Yes, I slept like a baby, but I had a very good practice. I started to wake up a little when it was time to go to practice... I love it!

It was easily the most physically intense practice I've had yet, but I think I was more awake at the end of it than at the beginning (although I did sleep like a baby).

Who knew that getting thrown onto the ground by your face could be so invigorating (sorry, I don't know the names of the techniques yet, I think one was called ikkyo?)

-Doug

CoramR 11-11-2005 02:54 PM

Take Sensei (also known as Steven Segal) said, "Show me what you've got when you have nothing left. Show me what you've got."

In other words it is good to push your self beyond your physical limits (within reason of course) because at the point of phisical exaustion both physical and mental growth happen.

In Aiki Spirit,
Ryan

:ai:
:ki:
:do:

aikigirl10 11-11-2005 03:23 PM

Speaking of being tired, last night i went to bed at 6:00 and didnt wake up til 6:30 this morning...

I just felt the need to share that.

aikidojoe 11-15-2005 12:08 PM

Quote:

Conrad Gustafson wrote:
My Sensei actually discourages us to use the word. He's Japanese and claims that the word actually has the connotation of "someone who has totally dedicated their life to aikido".

Apparently nobody in our dojo fits the description. :)

Conrad, while I don't know that I've dedicated my life, I have taken a job 48 miles from my house because it's one block from the dojo. It takes me 1.5 hours in the morning to get there and 2 hours back (no express trains after class). My wife of 6 months hardly sees me except on weekends, but then she knew that when she met me. Heh, the only way I could dedicate more time, is if I lived off of a trust fund and didn't work. Of course I say this, and right now I have to take a break from training until I have my rotator cuff re-attached....not looking forward to that rehab.....

- Joe