AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Top 5 problems you are experiencing as a dojo owner/instructor? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22923)

scarey 08-28-2013 08:56 AM

Top 5 problems you are experiencing as a dojo owner/instructor?

Curious what everyone's vibe is regarding the business of Aikido.

What are the top 5 problems you are experiencing as a dojo owner/instructor?

Janet Rosen 08-28-2013 10:06 AM

Re: Top 5

What are you dealing with at your dojo?

scarey 08-28-2013 10:41 AM

I'm dealing with a lack of students :-D

Janet Rosen 08-28-2013 12:14 PM

Many dojos I know of have seen a drop off since the economy tanked and more people have less disposable income.

Mary Eastland 08-28-2013 01:02 PM

Re: Top 5 problems you are experiencing as a dojo owner/instructor?

We have small steady group of students so I can't think of 5 problems. We have adjusted our expectations to the point where we are grateful to be able to train 3 times a week. We usually have 6 to 8 people in class.

Dan Richards 08-28-2013 01:03 PM

Shawn, you're in good company and in a similar boat to hombu right after WWII. Do you have families living and cooking in your space, too?

lbb 08-28-2013 01:26 PM

Not being a dojo owner, I'll still chime in and say that I see one big problem being a disconnect between what people expect and what they find when they come to a dojo. One common (and problematic) expectation is that the dojo will be like a gym (nice locker rooms, a cleaning staff, showers, amenities).

Conrad Gus 08-28-2013 03:22 PM

1. Aikido takes a long time and a lot of commitment just to get to a solid foundation skill level. Very few people are willing to commit that level of time and energy in a sustained fashion.
  2. See #1
  3. See #1
  4. See #1
  5. See #1

danj 08-28-2013 09:37 PM

I played with the stats awhile back and found 38 members is about average of whats possible for my local city. Of course getting there ou have to hot critical mass and then the retention starts to kicking.

My biggest challenge?, maximising time on the mat to keep learning

scarey 08-29-2013 09:14 AM

I'm going to experiment with outdoor boot camps. It seems that adopting this format might address some of the issues described in this thread.

1. Amenities - Showers, lockers, any other amenities would not be expected (all though some parks do have them).

2. Commitment - To be successful in Aikido (or anything) does require some longterm devotion. Not everyone wants that. Some students would maybe prefer a four week session, knowing they probably don't have any intention of studying for a long period of time, much less indefinitely.

3. Economy - This one is tricky. Aikido can be very a very good workout. But it seems to suffer from the reputation of being extra curricular. Compare that to the expense of a gym membership, which largely goes unused. People probably justify paying for a non-used gym membership because it's directly associated with healthy living. Bootcamps are exploding in the parks here in Houston. I'm actually a member myself of one. I think business-wise we can take a few pages out of their playbook.

I started this thread just to brainstorm some ideas and hopefully help instructors or potential instructors do something they thoroughly enjoy. I'm looking forward to this experiment with bootcamps and hopefully we can come up with some other ideas to "keep the ki flowing".