AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Book from koichi Tohei (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9311)

maxwell 11-18-2005 09:03 PM

Book from koichi Tohei

Hallo ,

I am interested to buy book from koichi Tohei "Ki in daily Life".
And I want to know your opinion about that book. Is that useful or meaningless.... And if that book bring something to you , for your training , life e.g.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/488...books&v=glance

kocakb 11-19-2005 12:14 AM

Re: Book from koichi Tohei

Hi Jason,
I bought that book recently, and am still reading it. There are ideas of a person, who applied them into his daily life and trainings. And we all know that they were effective for his aikido. Therefore, it can be said, it is useful. The problem is, are we able to follow the same path, can we improve our aikido skill like he did. This changes from one person to another...
The interesting side of the book is, he gave some principles of Ki applications, like unbendable arm, sitting stable so that nobody can break your balance off, unliftable arm etc...before reading the book, I only knew the unbendable arm, I can do it and it helps while applying a technique. However, I tryed the other Ki exercises but I was not successful. I wonder if someone else can do them, too?
IMHO, I think the book is not so expensive, having respect to Tohei, we should read it...

crbateman 11-19-2005 04:53 AM

The opinions and experiences of even seasoned aikidoka on the subject of Ki run the gamut, from those who think it's all hogwash, to those who think it is the glue that holds the universe together. It goes without saying that Tohei Sensei's thinking is toward the latter.

This book reflects the thinking within the Ki Society that the existence and application of Ki extends well beyond the practice of Aikido. The Ki No Kenkyukai teaches five disciplines, Aikido being only one of them, where Ki is the fundamental principle behind them all.

Opinions on the book will also run the same gamut as opinions on Ki in general. It is certainly a good lesson for those who subscribe to the Ki theories, but not much help to those who don't. I wouldn't worry if you are not immediately successful with all the exercises you find in the book, as practice is the key (when is it not?). Try to keep an open mind, and visit a Ki Society dojo, if you have one near you. Then you will have an opportunity to draw your own conclusions.

kokyu 11-19-2005 05:29 AM

Quote:

Bülent Koçak wrote:
Hi Jason,
The interesting side of the book is, he gave some principles of Ki applications, like unbendable arm, sitting stable so that nobody can break your balance off, unliftable arm etc...before reading the book, I only knew the unbendable arm, I can do it and it helps while applying a technique. However, I tryed the other Ki exercises but I was not successful. I wonder if someone else can do them, too?

You might like to read "Aikido for Life" by Homma Sensei. He comments on some of the Ki exercises. An excerpt is found at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155...books&v=glance

As you know, Tohei Sensei was once the Head Instructor at the Aikikai Hombu Dojo and a very influential Sensei. I think it's always good to read the opinions of those who had direct contact with O-Sensei. Another outstanding student was Shioda Sensei - his book "Aikido Shugyo" can be found at http://www.shindokanbooks.com/shugyo.shtml

maxwell 11-19-2005 10:25 AM

Quote:

Clark Bateman wrote:
Opinions on the book will also run the same gamut as opinions on Ki in general. It is certainly a good lesson for those who subscribe to the Ki theories, but not much help to those who don't. I wouldn't worry if you are not immediately successful with all the exercises you find in the book, as practice is the key (when is it not?). Try to keep an open mind, and visit a Ki Society dojo, if you have one near you. Then you will have an opportunity to draw your own conclusions.

Thanks for the reply guys :)

@Clark Bateman
Do you think that read this book at home and try to understand and practice it should be accompanied with traning in Ki no Kenkyukai Dojo? That's mean that this book doesn't fit for one who train in Aikikai or Yoshinkan or Tomiki Dojo?
Thank you :)

SeiserL 11-19-2005 02:06 PM

Quote:

Jason May wrote:
That's mean that this book doesn't fit for one who train in Aikikai or Yoshinkan or Tomiki Dojo?

I train Aikikai.
I read, practice, and apply all the Tohei Sensei I can.

Lyle Bogin 11-19-2005 03:53 PM

There are also dojos that represent the style similar to Tohei's at the end of his career at the aikikai. The "ki training" is preserved as a component of aikido. Imaizumi Sensei of Shin Budo Kai offers this kind of training, and I think some other senseis (former instructors under tohei) do as well.

Larry Feldman 11-19-2005 05:10 PM

It's a MUST READ book on the subject of Ki. One of Tohei's big contributions to the art was to try to demystify the concept of Ki.

crbateman 11-19-2005 06:38 PM

Jason, I meant that, if you are serious about your pursuit of knowledge of Ki, a Ki Society dojo is a place where Ki is emphasized first and foremost. That does not mean that you cannot gain knowledge elsewhere, or even nowhere, only that a major concentration of people most familiar with Ki and it's applications, both in Aikido and elsewhere, can be found in Ki No Kenkyukai. It is those people I would seek out if I wanted to know the most. There are many other Instructors outside the Ki Society who both practice and teach Ki principles, especially since Koichi Tohei was once the head instructor within Aikikai, and a profoundly influential one. The seeds of his teachings are spread widely. And I think that research of Ki is something that any serious aikidoka would benefit from, if only to better enable himself to make the decision whether to pursue further emphasis of it in his training. Some likes it, some likes it not, but either way, better knowledge is the key to making an educated decision.

kocakb 11-22-2005 02:18 AM

[quote=Soon-Kian Phang]You might like to read "Aikido for Life" by Homma Sensei. He comments on some of the Ki exercises. An excerpt is found at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155...books&v=glance

Hi,
The name of the book, I am reading is "Ki Energy, 4 Main Practices to unify mind and body".

http://www.ideefixe.com/kitap/tanim....UCME3EEJ93BS8T

It is a translation to Turkish and the author seems to be Tohei (and the photos in the book are from him). But I realized too, that there is not an English written book, having the same name. If you look to the introduction, it begins like; "technology is in every part of our lives. With the progress of the machines it is continuing, computers make the human power useless."…it looks like the book is the one, which Maxwell reads. Whatever, the result, the book is good :)

bogglefreak20 11-22-2005 03:30 AM

Quote:

Jason May wrote:
That's mean that this book doesn't fit for one who train in Aikikai or Yoshinkan or Tomiki Dojo?

I train in Ki Aikido, so we're pretty familiar with Tohei Sensei's teachings. I also read "Ki in Daily Life" and found it to be very helpful. We do the tests like the unbendable arm and alike on regular basis. In fact, beside being tested for techniques (kyu and dan ranks), we also have to pass Ki tests that increase in difficulty over the years. But I don't think his teachings are limited to any school of Aikido. Actually they're not even limited to Aikido itself (that is to mean that anyone can benefit from developing Ki and applying these principles to his life, not only those who go to the dojo on regular basis). That's why Tohei Sensei can have Ki seminars for non-aikidoists.

Anyone can practice the excercises described in the book, anyone can try to apply the principles in his daily life. If you're really interested in aikido being your way of life rather than just something you do, then by all means read the book. You might also try and look at this website: "Ki Breathing" by Koichi Tohei Sensei You can find lots of valuable info and things to think about there.

Ron Tisdale 11-22-2005 06:48 AM

I know you asked Clarke this question, but I'll step up. I think you should read anything that comes to you. Even from different traditions. Focus on it outside of class first, think about it, practice it as you can. Try doing the basic movements in yoshinkan with that same feeling you get from the exercises portrayed in the book. Explore a little. Seems to pay off in the long run. You may not keep everything the book talks about, but if you find one thing of value, seems to me to be worth it.

Best,
Ron