AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Practicing Aikido in Japan versues Norway (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25545)

Ali Raja 06-22-2018 11:38 AM

Practicing Aikido in Japan versues Norway

I find that practicing Aikido in Japan than Norway can be quit different you are more effective Aikido player in Japan than learning in Norway. I say this because I live in Norway, and most Aikido instructors in this country aren't so serious about Aikido as self defence they rather train Aikido for fun. I believe if you are going to learn Aikido you should 100% focus And learn it for self defence because that's the reason why we learn it.! And not to time pass around. And in Japan Aikido instructors are more serious that is what I believe.

nikyu62 06-22-2018 04:12 PM

Re: Practicing Aikido in Japan versues Norway

There are many different reasons people study Aikido, and many different perspectives in teaching....one should find a teacher to study with who has the perspective one wishes to study. That may be in Japan, or any number of other places.

Ali Raja 06-22-2018 08:55 PM

Quote:

Steven Shimanek wrote: (Post 353482)
There are many different reasons people study Aikido, and many different perspectives in teaching....one should find a teacher to study with who has the perspective one wishes to study. That may be in Japan, or any number of other places.

So you do agree that studying Aikido in Japan is much more real than what you see in Norway or elsewhere.

Walter Martindale 06-22-2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Ali Raja wrote: (Post 353485)
So you do agree that studying Aikido in Japan is much more real than what you see in Norway or elsewhere.

Haven't practiced in Norway... Canada, New Zealand, Japan. Not sure what you mean "real" - the late shihan in Canada, Kawahara Yukio, used to advise that we run away from situations - my Japanese wasn't good enough to know exactly why he advised that - probably because he felt we'd be in deep doo-doo if we stayed and tried to do aikido on an experienced guy with a knife who wanted to slice-and-dice us. We were too slow and unskilled. (I believe I still am slow and unskilled.)

In Aikikai Hombu, I only attended some morning classes with Doshu teaching, and some other classes with... er... I can't remember his name and he's not on the schedule any more, but he did a lot of seminars in New Zealand. We practiced aikido techniques and there wasn't any mention of "out on the street" stuff.

In New Zealand, mostly we practiced basic techniques over and over but with increasing proficiency as we developed. It's hard to say "real" about the training - other than it was "real" aikido training, and the better people barely broke a sweat while I (a mere nidan) lost a lot of weight each practice.

But was it "real"? Would we be able to defend ourselves from attackers? Who knows? One of my sensei (also "late" thanks to a heart attack) had used it in "real" situations where lives were being lost and edged weapons and firearms were involved - for him it was "real" - and he made the point that if someone's not REALLY ATTACKING as if they mean to cause you harm, you don't really have to do aikido.

nikyu62 06-23-2018 10:44 AM

Quote:

I did not state anything like that. I have no idea what the state of Aikido in Norway is; also any judgment I would make would be subjective based on my own preferences. By all means, if you are intent on traveling to Japan to study, you will certainly be drinking from the source. My point is that there are a lot of good Aikido teachers in other places than Japan. Obviously there are a lot of good aikido teachers in Japan. Good luck in your quest.

Robert Cowham 10-21-2018 12:03 PM

I would suggest you go to a few classes with Bjorn Eirik Olsen Shihan when he is in Oslo - he can show you many aspects of Aikido. Unfortunately for you he is based in Tromso.

lbb 10-22-2018 07:54 AM

Quote:

In less peaceful venues, putting your own words into someone else's mouth would be seen as trying to pick a fight. Here, I'd think it would be seen as the height of rudeness.

StephanS 10-23-2018 01:55 AM

You could try Mouliko HalÚn. His dojo is in Heggedal near Oslo and as a former military guy, maybe you trust his technique http://www.sunyata-aikido.org/heggedal/en/