AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Aikido Vacation! (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9164)

Adam Huss 10-28-2005 01:55 AM

Aikido Vacation!

Hey! I got it in my head to go on an aikido vacation. Pack up some gear in the car, and drive to some metro area where there is a heavy concentration of aikido dojo and just train at differnt places for a week or so. I live in NW Ohio and am curious if anyone knows of a good place to head up to thats within a reasonable distance (like no more than 6 hours away or so). So far my number one choice is Chicago....see how the AAA is doing (have some roots there), see Sato Sensei at the AWA, and see Moore Sensei's dojo as well. Don't really know of any else, although I think there's a ki society dojo there too. Anyways, any suggestions? Thanks!
Osu!
~Adam

crbateman 10-28-2005 03:46 AM

Re: Aikido Vacation!

Yamada Sensei (USAF) and Saotome Sensei (ASU) have big dojos in Chicago also. And yes, there is a Ki Society group there, as well. Chicago is a rich hunting ground for a diverse menu of Aikido. I wish I had some time to spend there. And for a REAL Aikido vacation, you might want to check out the Aikido Cruise (to the Bahamas) put on every year by the Shindai Dojo (ASU) in Orlando. Have fun...

tedehara 10-28-2005 06:18 AM

The Ki Society group is actually located in Evanston, the first suburb north of Chicago. There is also an active Chicago Tomiki group. I also know of an unknown 8th dan in Aiki-jitsu you might want to visit. Email me tedehara@sbcglobal.net

MikeE 10-28-2005 07:53 AM

If you make up around the Minneapolis/St.Paul area you are more than welcome to come train with us. And you will be welcome at pretty much all the dojos in the area: USAF, WAAU, IYAF, Ki Society, etc.

Camille Lore 10-28-2005 11:01 AM

I visited Naperville, outside of Chicago and searched the dojos. Seemed to be a hotbed of aikido and jujutsu!
There are also some Gracies teaching brasilian jujutsu, which you might find interesting.... I didn't realize who they were, or I would have gone to one of their clases!

crbateman 10-28-2005 05:29 PM

Quote:

Ted Ehara wrote:
The Ki Society group is actually located in Evanston, the first suburb north of Chicago.

Ted, thanks for sharpening my uncharacteristically general information. I shoulda just sent him straight to you... How do you like the book?

markwalsh 10-28-2005 09:36 PM

Egoronnin good dojo guide to Chicago; recomended:

Kevin Chaote/Joe Takahara - ASU, fantastic
Don Levine - Chicago Uni - Aiki Extensions President
USAF Midwest Region Dojo
Keith Moore - sooo quick, such a nice bloke.
Wendy Whithead - Inaka dojo, about an hour south of Chicago.

Based on my experiences as a visitor, you will be welcomed at all of these. Check out the comedy improv and have a beer on the 95 floor of the Hancock Centre while in town too :)

crbateman 10-29-2005 08:56 PM

Aikido AND beer? You guys got me ready to get on a plane myself... Now, if anybody even mentions PIZZA, I'm there...:D

markwalsh 10-29-2005 08:59 PM

Deep dish my friend :) Deep dish.

crbateman 10-30-2005 02:59 PM

OK, That's IT... (and I'm bringin' my snorkel)! :p

Adam Huss 10-30-2005 03:03 PM

There's aikido without beer? I've never heard of such a thing! Coincidently we ordered pizza and one of the guys brought homade Japanese beer after saturday class for our semi annual (ko)soji.

crbateman 10-30-2005 08:33 PM

Ah... So the key is to absorb your partner's energy.... AND his beer!

I think I've just reached the 4th level of enlightenment! :p

tedehara 10-31-2005 11:15 AM

Quote:

Clark Bateman wrote:
Ted, thanks for sharpening my uncharacteristically general information. I shoulda just sent him straight to you... How do you like the book?

The book is Great! It was in such good condition too.

The Midwest Aikido Center is headquarters for the Midwest USAF Region and was founded by Aikira Tohei Shihan. Although Yamada Shihan gives seminars there, it remains it's own entity.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned AAA/AAI in the Chicago area. These are headquarter dojos for both organizations.

Chicago also has Kiku Matsu dojo, which is a member of Aikido World Alliance, headed by Andrew Sato Sensei.

There is also a Yoshinkai group in the area.

More than enough things to see in a week.

crbateman 10-31-2005 12:40 PM

I didn't mention AAA because Adam said he already knew about them. I hear they're still going strong, even after Toyoda Sensei's untimely passing. I see that their online newsletter/magazine is back on the air this month as well.

Chicago is such a popular area for Aikido that Stan Pranin has even mentioned it as a possible site for a future Aiki Expo. All that, and pizza, and beer so cold it will make your teeth hurt!