AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Discussions (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Customs in the different countries (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19421)

guest1234567 02-15-2011 03:18 AM

Customs in the different countries

When I go in our dojo early after bowing to the photo of O'Sensei before we begin our class I greet all the collegues, some of them with two kisses in both cheecks. When they pass a test we also congratulate them with two kisses. When we go to a seminar we greet the collegues we know with kisses and when we meet new ones do the same. I kissed Ch. Tissier when I saw him in Malaga after going to 2 of his seminars before. We everytime kiss Frank Noel Sensei when we see him again and when we say good bye. I think it is a good custom in Spain and in most of latin countries in Argentina too, but there we use only one kiss.I asked a friend of Gran Canaria who lives in Kobe, Japan about japanese customs, he told me it would be very strange if I would do so in Japan, although they would understand because I'm not japanese. I think it is good to express the feelings.
I wonder how it is in your countries?

grondahl 02-15-2011 03:47 AM

Re: Customs in the different countries

Do you think that cultures that doesn´t kiss people when they greet dont express the same feelings?

Quote:

Carina Reinhardt wrote: (Post 276516)
. I think it is good to express the feelings.

guest1234567 02-15-2011 03:57 AM

Quote:

Peter Gröndahl wrote: (Post 276518)
Do you think that cultures that doesn´t kiss people when they greet dont express the same feelings?

Maybe, I don't know, I'm used to that since childhood, for me the other form is very cold. I also use that with my children, when we speak by phone I cannot kiss them but can say that I love them. I like this warm form a lot.

Eva Antonia 02-15-2011 04:10 AM

Hi,

in Belgium there is also the custom to kiss people on one cheek when greeting. But one of our teachers tells us NOT to do that on the tatami, that would be impolite. The other kisses on the tatami...

For me it doesn't matter. I can as well live with a kiss, an embrace, a handshake or a bow. Whatever is locally accepted. That's for aikidokas or colleagues...with my kids, obviously, I'd feel very sad if there were no kisses or embraces!

Best regards,

Eva

guest1234567 02-15-2011 04:24 AM

Hi Eva,
I like your countrymen a lot, they always give 3 kisses:)
About the northern countries, people change when the live in Spain, they almost inmediately take our customs. I have a swedish collegue, who is just like a canarian:)

Demetrio Cereijo 02-15-2011 04:34 AM

I'm thinking of Brezhnev meeting Tissier...:D

guest1234567 02-15-2011 05:08 AM

Quote:

Demetrio Cereijo wrote: (Post 276523)
I'm thinking of Brezhnev meeting Tissier...:D

Better Putin who does Judo:D
By the way I found an interesting article about unexpressed feelings
http://www.positive-way.com/newpage3.htm

Mary Eastland 02-15-2011 07:39 AM

I was raised and still live in the Berkshires of New England. We are not big kissers. I shake hands when I meet someone or want to congratulate them.
I notice that people from the city (new York or Boston) and Long Island seem to be more about kissing.
Interesting.
Mary

Hellis 02-15-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Carina Reinhardt wrote: (Post 276516)
When I go in our dojo early after bowing to the photo of O'Sensei before we begin our class I greet all the collegues, some of them with two kisses in both cheecks. When they pass a test we also congratulate them with two kisses. When we go to a seminar we greet the collegues we know with kisses and when we meet new ones do the same. I kissed Ch. Tissier when I saw him in Malaga after going to 2 of his seminars before. We everytime kiss Frank Noel Sensei when we see him again and when we say good bye. I think it is a good custom in Spain and in most of latin countries in Argentina too, but there we use only one kiss.I asked a friend of Gran Canaria who lives in Kobe, Japan about japanese customs, he told me it would be very strange if I would do so in Japan, although they would understand because I'm not japanese. I think it is good to express the feelings.

Hope that does not catch on here :yuck:

I will keep a sponge and towell ready just in case:)

Henry Ellis
http://aikido-books.blogspot.com/

guest1234567 02-15-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Mary Eastland wrote: (Post 276540)
I was raised and still live in the Berkshires of New England. We are not big kissers. I shake hands when I meet someone or want to congratulate them.
I notice that people from the city (new York or Boston) and Long Island seem to be more about kissing.
Interesting.
Mary

Thanks Mary, The people from the citys are taking our good costums:)

guest1234567 02-15-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Henry Ellis wrote: (Post 276553)
Hope that does not catch on here :yuck:

I will keep a sponge and towell ready just in case:)

Henry Ellis

:D :D then better do not come here, because if you would, I'd tell every female collegue of the dojo to give you three kisses:D

Demetrio Cereijo 02-15-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Carina Reinhardt wrote: (Post 276555)
Thanks Mary, The people from the citys are taking our good costums:)

Why do you qualify them as 'good'?

Hellis 02-15-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Carina Reinhardt wrote: (Post 276556)
:D :D then better not come here, because if you would, I'd tell every female collegue of the dojo to give you three kisses:D

Carina

I am already packing :) x

Henry Ellis

lbb 02-15-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Mary Eastland wrote: (Post 276540)

I don't, and I've lived in both places and I work in Boston now. I never see people in Boston kiss in greeting unless they're very close friends, and even then it's unusual...sort of like it's a European affectation perhaps.

guest1234567 02-15-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Demetrio Cereijo wrote: (Post 276557)
Why do you qualify them as 'good'?

I should say they are good for me:)
Demetrio for you the offer I did to Henry is no valid. If you came to our dojo you would receive from all of us many iriminages, or any other throw technik you like:D

Janet Rosen 02-15-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Mary Malmros wrote: (Post 276560)
I don't, and I've lived in both places and I work in Boston now. I never see people in Boston kiss in greeting unless they're very close friends, and even then it's unusual...sort of like it's a European affectation perhaps.

Depends on which urban subculture you are part of. In the arts, more common. In some ethnic communities, more common. But usually NOT the double or triple kiss, so I 've never seen it as European.
Most of my older E Coast friends, like me, are kissers; here in Calif a simple hug is much more common. In the dojo, we bow.

guest1234567 02-15-2011 09:29 AM

A hug is also nice Janet, it is warm.. We give a hug to encourage somebody who needs it

Demetrio Cereijo 02-15-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Carina Reinhardt wrote: (Post 276563)
If you came to our dojo you would receive from all of us many iriminages, or any other throw technik you like:D

I'll pull guard. If done right no can defense :)

Dave de Vos 02-15-2011 11:04 AM

It depends a bit. Close relatives kiss hello and goodbye. Friends and coworkers may be kissed when congratulating. We kiss three times on the cheek. And men don't kiss men.

guest1234567 02-15-2011 11:17 AM

Yes I know Dave, I work with many dutch men and women together, all the reps taking care of our tourists..

ninjaqutie 02-15-2011 02:35 PM

I don't kiss anyone as a greeting and if I don't know you, you aren't getting a hug either. Call me cold or whatever, but that is just too personal for me. I will shake hands though. If I get to know you a bit, then a hug or kiss may be warranted upon a greeting, but other then that... no touchie please.

I have been in the awkward situation of being hugged and kissed by a stranger and though I didn't take offense to it, I didn't exactly welcome the gesture. I can usually tell if it is made with sincerity, so it is hard for me to really be offended by it.

To each their own I guess. As for people in NYC being kissers, all of my friends in NY aren't big kissers. I imagine it depends on your circle though. If your family or area you live in tends to be oriented towards a certain ethnicity, then I can easily see this happening.

In my family/friend circle gestures like that are reserved for good friends and family. I have no problem hugging a dojo-mate if they passed an exam (if I have known them for any length at all).

guest1234567 02-15-2011 03:42 PM

It is ok Ashley it is just what you get used since childhood, what you learn at home, at school. I grow up in Argentina and are now living almost 30 years in Spain, here it is strange if you don't greet somebody with a kiss, for you it is the other way.

Hellis 02-15-2011 04:01 PM

Carina

When I read your posts, I smile sometimes at your exuberance for Aikido and life, with respect, you have almost a childlike enthusiasm
for all things.. There are few on here that I bother to reply to, or would care to meet.... If ever I get the chance to get some sun on these old bones in Gran Canaria I will visit your dojo.

Henry Ellis

guest1234567 02-15-2011 04:06 PM

Thank a lot Henry, you'll be very welcome:) Yes I like aikido very much and enjoy it a lot with our nice group. Next saturday the 19th we'll have a free open door aikido training in the evening, the 3 teacher of our group will do a part, it sure will be very interesting..

Hellis 02-15-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Carina Reinhardt wrote: (Post 276650)
Thank a lot Henry, you'll be very welcome:) Yes I like aikido very much and enjoy it a lot with our nice group. Next saturday the 19th we'll have a free open door aikido training in the evening, the 3 teacher of our group will do a part, it sure will be very interesting..

Carina

Keep that door open.

I am going to Albuquerque New Mexico USA soon, to work on my
next book, and possibly my last.
I can assure you that I would love to visit Gran Canaria again and collect all those kisses from your female students as promised.:)

Take care

Henry Ellis