AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Discussions (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Men and Women and Developing Internal Power (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14682)

Ron Tisdale 06-26-2008 12:30 PM

Re: Men and Women and Developing Internal Power

Lol! :d

B,
R

Buck 06-26-2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Mary Eastland wrote: (Post 209246)
As I was driving this morning it occured to me that maybe some men have a hard time understanding that strong internal skills can come from softness and co-operative training because they have never given birth.

Now before you get all pissy about this....think about the focused, centered power of bearing a child...it is incredible...never having felt this I can see where some men and some women who have not had children can doubt the power of softness, determination, nature and focus. :)

Just some random thoughts.....what do you think?
Mary

Ok, I want to respond directly to Mary,instead of those others who responded. I don't know of any men who have had children! :eek:Just some good natured rubbing. I respect your incredible experience of childbirth, and I see how you are relating that to "the power of softness, determination, nature and focus." That is yours. Kudos to you for that exprience. Though don't you think it maybe a bit unfair to women Aikidoka who don't want or can't have children (and men who can't give birth) that they will never have the understanding internal skills? Isn't there other ways of gaining these internal skills by the doubting men and women you mentioned, are they doomed to never have internal skills?

No offense, but I am not sure what your saying. I feel out of respect to ask you. :)

rob_liberti 06-26-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Philip Burgess wrote: (Post 209768)
Ok, I want to respond directly to Mary,instead of those others who responded.

Okay, but the P in PM doesn't stand for "public". :)

Buck 06-27-2008 08:39 PM

I want to appologize to Mary E. I am afraid I could have toned down my comments, and be more supportive of her topic. I could have been more respectful. That is the type of person am, I don't want to lower myself to petty childlish responseswhich I came close to in my opinion . I should have worded my thoughts better and more carefully.

Mary E. I hope you accept my appology.

lbb 06-29-2008 06:40 AM

Quote:

Dan Harden wrote: (Post 209707)
Hi Mary
The strap pretty much were useless when I started hammering again.I still remember picking up a milk jug and dropping it from the pain!! I knew the answer but couldn't face it-I had to stop forging.

Yeah, I needed a lay-off period too. It was still bad doing just activities of daily living. The straps helped me to get through that period of no paddling, no heavy lifting, etc. I really was at the point where just typing would have made it flare up if I hadn't worn the straps.

Quote:

Dan Harden wrote: (Post 209707)
On a side note, who is your sensei out there in shangri la?

Dave Stier, Green River Aikido.

DH 06-29-2008 08:55 AM

Hi Mary
I had a friend with the same thing for two years. She tried acupuncture-which handled the pain but not the injury, and the straps. Her Doc told her he almost wishes he could get away with putting a cast on people with it. He said "For most, the injury is nagging more than debilitating so they don't protect it adequately and as a result set up a cycle of re-injury and inflammation. I can’t get it through their heads that it requires rest." I thought that a great explanation for the years long-yet totally unnecessary healing process, that fit me to a tee.

Looks likes a busy dojo, thanks for the link. Do you know what style or history it has? It isn't mentioned on the site.

jennifer paige smith 06-29-2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Dan Harden wrote: (Post 209934)
Hi Mary
I had a friend with the same thing for two years. She tried acupuncture-which handled the pain but not the injury, and the straps. Her Doc told her he almost wishes he could get away with putting a cast on people with it. He said "For most, the injury is nagging more than debilitating so they don't protect it adequately and as a result set up a cycle of re-injury and inflammation. I can't get it through their heads that it requires rest." I thought that a great explanation for the years long-yet totally unnecessary healing process, that fit me to a tee.

Looks likes a busy dojo, thanks for the link. Do you know what style or history it has? It isn't mentioned on the site.

This is a bit off topic, neh? And I guess I'm noticing because of how vigilant you're being in protecting the propriety of the thread you started in General Topics. A similar respect would be appreciated here. Thanks.

DH 06-29-2008 08:02 PM

Sorry about that Jenn.

jennifer paige smith 06-30-2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Dan Harden wrote: (Post 209955)
Sorry about that Jenn.

Good bloke, no offense. Thanks for the good discussions.
I'll watch my p's and q's, too.