AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   thoughts while on line at dunkin donuts for coffee (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15174)

Mary Eastland 09-26-2008 02:26 PM

thoughts while on line at dunkin donuts for coffee

There were two men ahead of me in line...the one right ahead of me was slight and much shorter that I am...I thought a forearm choke from behind would be nice for him....the other was bulky and slightly taller, though not as tall as I am. His pony tail would provide a good place to grab as a kokyu nage redirected his head. :cool:
Do you guys ever think like this in public? :freaky:
Mary

Lan Powers 09-26-2008 03:28 PM

Re: thoughts while on line at dunkin donuts for coffee

Of course.......more often, since the weirdness of the past few decades has increased the "shooting spree mentality".
I notice exit and escape routes.

My wife thinks I am weird.
Lan

Jeremy Hulley 09-26-2008 03:40 PM

I always note escape routes these days and if walking after dark my brain goes into threat assement mode. Its mostly automatic. I don't notice it unless there is a potential problem.

Joe McParland 09-26-2008 04:32 PM

Developing the skills, you see the opportunity to use them.

In seeing the opportunity to use them, you've lost your center.

More practice. ;-)

Janet Rosen 09-26-2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Joe McParland wrote: (Post 217000)
Developing the skills, you see the opportunity to use them.
In seeing the opportunity to use them, you've lost your center.

How so?

Joe McParland 09-26-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Janet Rosen wrote: (Post 217003)
How so?

The mind went off like a samurai while the body stayed behind to buy coffee and donuts.

Thinking of attacking the others, you are already dead.

Mary Eastland 09-26-2008 05:47 PM

no donuts.
no attack.....just a strategy for defense.
Mary

Ketsan 09-26-2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Mary Eastland wrote: (Post 216993)
There were two men ahead of me in line...the one right ahead of me was slight and much shorter that I am...I thought a forearm choke from behind would be nice for him....the other was bulky and slightly taller, though not as tall as I am. His pony tail would provide a good place to grab as a kokyu nage redirected his head. :cool:
Mary

It's a near constant process for me. I size up everyone everywhere I go nearly and plan out what I'd do if something were to happen.

Joe McParland 09-26-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Mary Eastland wrote: (Post 217008)
no donuts.
no attack.....just a strategy for defense.
Mary

Ah, no donuts. Fine, give them back then---I'm hungry ;)

Shorty and Ponytail Guy didn't feel a thing when your mind attacked---and you did see the attack, didn't you?---but you were unquestionably dead for a moment. No one was driving your body while you were away. :hypno:

Mind & Body? Not integrated.

Ketsan 09-26-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Joe McParland wrote: (Post 217007)
The mind went off like a samurai while the body stayed behind to buy coffee and donuts.

Thinking of attacking the others, you are already dead.

There's a difference between thinking of attacking and realising attacking options. One contains intent the other doesn't.

Joe McParland 09-26-2008 06:24 PM

Quote:

Alex Lawrence wrote: (Post 217012)
There's a difference between thinking of attacking and realising attacking options. One contains intent the other doesn't.

Two hands reach toward you (ryokatadori?), one hand with intent, the other without. How do you respond?

Ketsan 09-26-2008 06:49 PM

Quote:

Joe McParland wrote: (Post 217013)
Two hands reach toward you (ryokatadori?), one hand with intent, the other without. How do you respond?

Are they owned by the same person or two different people?

Joe McParland 09-26-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Alex Lawrence wrote: (Post 217015)
Are they owned by the same person or two different people?

They belong to one person, of course!

Ketsan 09-26-2008 08:19 PM

Quote:

Joe McParland wrote: (Post 217017)
They belong to one person, of course!

I don't see how you can hand one hand having intention and one hand not since the hands are only responding to the intention in the mind of their owner.

Kevin Leavitt 09-26-2008 09:03 PM

what kind of donuts did you buy?

dps 09-26-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Mary Eastland wrote: (Post 216993)
Mary

A major part of Aikido application is practicing awareness of your surroundings and visualizing scenarios and responses.

David

Joe McParland 09-26-2008 09:38 PM

Quote:

David Skaggs wrote: (Post 217031)
A major part of Aikido application is practicing awareness of your surroundings and visualizing scenarios and responses.

I can visualize myself on Pluto, playing a harpsichord concerto to a packed amphitheater while fending off hoards of ninja attackers---all while eating one of those donuts, of course. :cool:

Hell, I can imagine you doing the same, and I don't believe we've even met!

I'm not trying to be an ass, by the way. Yes, I used to do this all of the time too, especially while walking through a crowded mall---somehow flow of traffic was always against me. And yes, I think there's some value to "shadow boxing" and visualization aikido-style---especially when you have no partner immediately available.

However, if you believe mind-body integration / being centered / whatever is an objective or even a major aspect of your training, you're missing out if either your mind or your body is not in the game. When you're out and about and your mind drifts to combat, then everything you see around you is combat---and that can become a habit---and that can also become problematic. On a lesser scale, I found that when I was doing that giant randori in the mall, I wasn't fully present with my wife walking beside me. Poor choice.

Perhaps while not in the dojo with your training partners, the aspect of your practice that you should reinforce is practicing being where you are? :rolleyes:

Joe McParland 09-26-2008 09:45 PM

Quote:

Kevin Leavitt wrote: (Post 217028)

:D

bkedelen 09-26-2008 09:46 PM

I usually identify the soft and hard cover, movement routes, strategic and tactical priority of each individual including a rough estimate of combat capability, and how gray I am appearing at any given time. It is all quite burdensome, actually. Unfortunately the djinni doesn't want to go back into the bottle.
By the way I completely disagree with Joe. You are almost guaranteed to be daydreaming when something starts. Why? Because humans are daydreaming 99% of the time. Its nothing to be concerned about, just machinery that runs independently of your intentions. Even the voice in Joe's head which just told him that I am wrong about this point is a daydream. Daydreaming, listening to the voice in our heads, etc. is just a natural process and I have never met anyone who could turn it off for more than a few seconds at a time. Even the best meditators I know have simply come to understand and love it as the biological process it is.

Hebrew Hammer 09-26-2008 09:50 PM

I rarely think like that...only if I see some signs of aggression or potential conflict...then my mind usually starts assessing options, attacks, escapes, etc.

My mind usually focuses on which person is either talking to me, themselves, or wearing one of those damn blue tooth phones...my next thought is thanking our blue tooth friend for sharing all their personal business with everyone in line. Then my mind wanders to how oblivious/rude they are holding up the line trying to take phone orders at the register and finally all is forgiven upon gazing upon the holiest of the holy's, Gods finest creation, the Apple Fritter. Mongo like apple fritters.:D

mwible 09-26-2008 09:52 PM

Haha, of course! What testosterone-rich man doesnt?

But really, i usually do, even at work i'll analyze my customers, think of the best place in which i would want to be in incase they became hostile, and definitly what the quickest way to drop them would be.

Glad to know that its not just me:p

Joe McParland 09-26-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Benjamin Edelen wrote: (Post 217034)
Even the voice in Joe's head which just told him that I am wrong about this point is a daydream.

I like that :D

Anyway, 99% (sure, why not?) of the time we do not have the focus that the masters reach. Don't worry about it---embrace it!

... right? :hypno:

Joe McParland 09-26-2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Alex Lawrence wrote: (Post 217026)
I don't see how you can hand one hand having intention and one hand not since the hands are only responding to the intention in the mind of their owner.

Hi, Alex- So we don't get lost inside the thread, send me a personal message if you'd like to follow through with this a bit :) -Joe

Mary Eastland 09-27-2008 05:23 AM

Quote:

Kevin Leavitt wrote: (Post 217028)

lol... Kevin, I see where your mind is at.:D
No donuts...I don't eat sugar.
mary

Mary Eastland 09-27-2008 05:27 AM

hmmmm...I don't do it very often ...it just popped in.
And I know what it feels like to lose my center....this felt very centered.
Mary