AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Haydn Foster Sensei Passed away today. (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19411)

Hellis 02-13-2011 01:19 PM

Haydn Foster Sensei Passed away today.

I am sorry to inform every one of the death of my good friend of over 50 years Haydn Foster Sensei, one of the last three original British Aikido pioneers from its 1950s, from its inception by Kenshiro Abbe Sensei.

Rest in peace my dear friend

Henry Ellis
http://aikido-books.blogspot.com/

Janet Rosen 02-13-2011 01:34 PM

Re: Haydn Foster Sensei Passed away today.

Henry, sending heartfelt condolences winging across land and sea to you and to all his family, friends, and students.

philipsmith 02-13-2011 02:14 PM

Incredibly sad day.

A true gentleman on and off the mat. I was privileged to call him friend and to benefit from his wisdom.

Haydn was a true student of Budo.

Just to give you a measure of the man: I was teaching a seminar with him and did a variation he didn't know. I was astonished and humbled when I found him
a) working it out with one of his students and
b) asking ME if it was OK.

He forgot more than I ever learnt - goodbye old friend

Mark Freeman 02-13-2011 02:37 PM

Rest in peace Sensei Haydn Foster.

Henry, I will inform Sensei Williams of his sad passing. I know he will want to know. I also know of the mutual respect between the two men.

My personal condolences to his family.

sakumeikan 02-13-2011 02:53 PM

I can only say that this week has been a sad time for British aikdoka .. Two early pioneers of U.K aikido have passed away this week.Mr Coyle and Mr Foster.
I have had the pleasure of knowing each of these men for many years. Both of them were sincere students of the art and devoted their lives to the promotion of traditional aikido.
Mr Foster in common with Mr Coyle was a pleasant man, great company and was always happy to share his experience and knowledge with anyone.It was fairly recently both Mr Ellis and Mr Foster were awarded 6th Dan by Chiba Sensei[who has expressed his sorrow at the demise of both of Mr Coyle/Mr Foster ].I have been asked to pass on Chiba Senseis condolences to both family , friends and members on their behalf.I also on behalf of the British Birankai and the aikidoka of the U.K express my /our sorrow at the passing of both these Sensei.We are poorer by their passing.We send our condolences and sympathy to their respective families, friends and students.

crbateman 02-13-2011 07:32 PM

Sad news, indeed. But the good will live on through his students. Sincerest condolences from our side of the pond.

George S. Ledyard 02-13-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Henry Ellis wrote: (Post 276312)
I am sorry to inform every one of the death of my good friend of over 50 years Haydn Foster Sensei, one of the last three original British Aikido pioneers from its 1950s, from its inception by Kenshiro Abbe Sensei.

Henry Ellis

I am sorry to hear this, Henry. Every time I hear that another one of the old giants of Aikido has passed away, I can't help but think that our own responsibilities for trying to live up to them just increased again. These pioneers got this whole thing going... we owe it to them to keep it going strong. Condolences to all who knew the man.

aikishihan 02-13-2011 08:52 PM

It is sad indeed to lose such an illustrious and beloved pioneer of Aikido. Yet, the impact of these giants lives on in the lives and example of their students.

Condolences and sympathy to the family, friends and followers of the late Haydn Foster Sensei. May he truly rest in peace.

Peter Goldsbury 02-13-2011 08:52 PM

Hello Henry,

Mr Foster is another of the UK pioneers I have heard very much about, but never met. Please convey my condolences.

Best wishes,

PAG

Quote:

Henry Ellis

AikiWeb System 02-13-2011 10:09 PM

Haydn Foster Sensei Passed away today.

Posted 2011-02-13 14:24:20 by Henry Ellis

Sunday 13th February 2011.
I am sorry to inform the Aikido community of the death of Haydn Foster Sensei ~`Institute of Aikido` UK.
Foster Sensei began Aikido at the famous Hut Dojo. He was a direct student of the legendary Budo Master Kenshiro Abbe Sensei from 1956/7..He was one of the first of only five Aikido dan grades in the UK. Mr Foster did so much to help promote Aikido to a public that had never heard of Aikido.
The Hut Dojo was the birthplace of Aikido in the UK. Foster Sensei preserved the Hut and its traditions to this very day, in fact, he was teaching just a few days ago.
He was without doubt the most respected and `much loved` figure in British Aikido.
Derek Eastman and I have been great friend of Foster Sensei since those early days.
We three, have seen Aikido progress from just one old Hut Dojo to a dojo in every town and city in the UK.

Rest in peace my much loved friend.

Henry Ellis

AikiWeb System 02-13-2011 10:09 PM

The Passing of Sensei H W Foster, 7th dan, Institute of Aikido

Posted 2011-02-13 22:07:44 by Dunken Francis

It is with great sadness I have to pass on the news of Sensei H W Foster death a few hours ago.

He was an a great friend and mentor; an extraordinary man, one of the original pioneers of Aikido in Europe and contributed greatly to the way British Aikido is today.

We have lost one of the last Great Masters, and he will greatly missed by The Aikido and Martial Arts community worldwide. Our condolences go out to his family and friends.

akiy 02-13-2011 10:19 PM

My condolences go out to Foster sensei's family, friends, students, and loved ones.

-- Jun

Dunken Francis 02-14-2011 12:57 AM

Re: The Passing of Sensei H W Foster, 7th dan, Institute of Aikido

Quote:

AikiWeb System wrote: (Post 276354)
Posted 2011-02-13 22:07:44 by Dunken Francis

It is with great sadness I have to pass on the news of Sensei H W Foster death a few hours ago.

He was an a great friend and mentor; an extraordinary man, one of the original pioneers of Aikido in Europe and contributed greatly to the way British Aikido is today.

We have lost one of the last Great Masters, and he will greatly missed by The Aikido and Martial Arts community worldwide. Our condolences go out to his family and friends.

I trained with Sensei Foster since the age of ten back in 1974, and since moving to NZ in 2003 have found many other senior practitioners over here that either trained with him or were directly influenced by him.

I spoke to Mr F a few days ago and he had a chest infection (which wasn't unusual during the winter months for him. He had severe pleuresy in his 20's and had one lung completely removed, so he was always susceptible to these things) but sounded in good spirits and we talked at length about the seminars coming up and of course UK Summer Camp in August.

When Paul, his grandson called me this morning I was numbed by the news.

We have truly lost one of the last great british Aikido masters.

I've no idea where he is now, but I'm sure he'll have either a cup of tea or a pint in his hand, and will no doubt be having a laugh at something!

So many of us will miss him so much.

Dunken Francis
Institute of Aikido Auckland, NZ

Hellis 02-14-2011 01:57 AM

Thanks to every one for your kind messages of condolences for Foster Sensei's family, friends and students.
I have received the following message Jiro Nakazono the son of one of Mr Fosters teachers Masahilo Nakazono Sensei.

Dear Henry,

I am very saddened to hear of yet another great hero's departure.
Thank you, Henry, for letting me know.

Jiro Nakazono

Hi Mr Ellis

Thanks for letting me know. I am sorry to hear this sad news - our condolences go to all his family and close friends.
Chiba Sensei has been told and he has sent his condolences.

Dee Chen

Henry,
I would also would like to send my condolences to Mr Hadyn Foster Sensei’s family and friends. although I never had the pleasure of meeting such a pioneer of British Aikido, I am sure it has come to somewhat of a blow to you, knowing that all the old timers are gradually slipping away, it’s always bad to lose such people.....
Please take heart, that even though I am from a different tradition to yourself in aikido, I still very much respect the work and immense effort put in by such teachers as Mr Foster and also yourself....
Please take care.... And hope to meet up soon....

Tony Wagstaffe

So many senior Aikidoka are being taken from us, I am beginning to suspect that the good Lord is planning a super seminar.

Henry Ellis

ruthmc 02-14-2011 02:57 AM

A very sad time for all of us who were taught by and greatly respected Foster Sensei.

He graded me to shodan, (the last grading on the original Hut dojo mats before the new ones were bought), just over 10 years ago. He was the sensei who encouraged me to even think that one day I'd be practising in a black belt and hakama!

A huge loss for the whole Aikido community, you will be greatly missed here Sensei.

Ruth (McWilliam) Rae

john.burn 02-14-2011 02:59 AM

Not much I can add that hasn't already been said, my thoughts are with those who knew him, he was one of the true gents of Aikido and will be greatly missed.

PhilMyKi 02-14-2011 03:51 AM

Truly sad news. I did not have the chance to train with Foster Sensei, but had the pleasure to be both tori and uke with his grandson, Paul, late last year. He recounted stories of how his grandfather had an 'aura' about him and despite his advancing years there was little doubt he still had some tricks and very cold hands up the sleeve!

My condolences go out to Foster Sensei's family and students at this difficult time..

Alex Megann 02-14-2011 05:23 AM

Sad news. I can't say I knew Mr. Foster, but I did meet him at a "Big Three" weekend in Lowestoft three or four years ago. I was impressed by his modest and quiet demeanour, as well as by his clear teaching.

Alex

Pauliina Lievonen 02-14-2011 06:10 AM

Sad news. Condolences to Foster sensei's family, friends and students.

Pauliina

Hellis 02-15-2011 01:11 AM

I have been asked to add the following condolences to Foster Sensei's family, friends and students.

So Sorry to hear this sad news Henry.
Aikido has lost another pioneer.
Take care.

Clive MacDonald.
www.babk.org.uk.
Braintree Aiki Budo Kai.
Bushido Za Zen Area Manager./Area Coach.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Henry
I'm so very sorry to learn of this sad news. I'm currently outside of the UK and do not have full
Internet access hence this short reply however, I wanted to acknowledge your email and express my deepest condolences. Unfortunately my present circumstances will prevent me attending Mr. Foster's funeral/celebration of his life and his steadfast dedication to aikido. I would be most obliged if you would pass my condolences on,
on my behalf.
Kindest regards as always.
Dave Humm
( HM Forces abroad )

Henry Ellis

Paul.Foster-Dent 02-15-2011 04:40 AM

I would just like to thank on behalf of my family all of you have sent or posted messages of support and condolences on the very sad passing of my Grandfather Haydn Foster. It was very sudden and unexpected and I know that the days to come will be tough for all of us. Many of you knew him as Sensei Foster but to my family he was simply husband, dad or grandad. For me he was both, and i feel lucky to understand what he meant not only to us as a family but to the Aikido world.

Most of you will know the story of how he discovered Aikido, but for those that don't I thought that I would share it now. My uncle had returned home and asked my grandfather if he could start Judo, which was being taught in Hillingdon. So one evening in the early 50's my grandfather took my uncle to The Hut Dojo to see what this Judo thing was. When they arrived there were a few people practicing something that in the words of my grandfather "had something about it". He spoke to the teacher and he explained that they were doing Aikido. They stayed on after and watched the Judo class and my uncle was allowed to begin on the understanding that he stuck it out until he got his black belt, which to his credit he did. My grandfather also decided that night that he would try Aikido. That was his first of many journeys to The Hut dojo and he continued to practice and teach there up until yesterday.

Aikido was to him a passion and something that became a huge part of his life but family was always the number one priority. He saw Aikido as a never ending journey and often said that if you think you have arrived then you are further away from the destination than ever. He got immense joy, satisfaction and i guess occasionally frustration from both his training and his teaching. He honestly believed that he had an obligation to pass on his knowledge. I remember reading in an interview that the only thing that concerns him about teaching is that he hasn't passed on enough in a class.

I think that perhaps his most important teaching though was to be at one with nature. It sound esoteric but without going into to much detail he basically meant to be your self. I think this is why he often said that he did Aikido his way. It didn't mean that it was any more right or wrong than anybodies else's interpretation, it was just the way that was right for him.

Thank you once again and you can rest assured that I will continue to teach at The Hut as he did for as long as people want to get involved and to learn. As for my grandfather, I think that he will have already checked in with my father and other lost loved ones. Then after checking on them I imagine that he will be training some where with all of those that have left before him.

Best regards

Paul Foster-Dent

Andrew Buchanan 02-15-2011 02:18 PM

Sad to hear of the passing of Hayden Foster, he was a great help to me in my early Aikido days. My thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.
Andrew Buchanan

Quote:

Henry Ellis

Hellis 02-16-2011 10:53 AM

Paul Foster-Dent
""Thank you once again and you can rest assured that I will continue to teach at The Hut as he did for as long as people want to get involved and to learn.""

Paul
I am so pleased to read that you intend to carry on the long traditions of the Hut Dojo...Every British student of Aikido should make at least one visit to the birthplace of Aikido in the UK.

Henry Ellis

Hellis 02-17-2011 01:31 AM

From the Abertillery Aikido Club Bushinkai

Hi Sensei Ellis,

Please allow me to express my personal condolences to Sensei Derek Eastman and yourself on the passing of your friend and fellow Aikido pioneer Sensei Haydn Foster.

Nigel informed me of this on Sunday and we will be holding a minute silence in honour of Sensei Foster in our dojo.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Andrew Pugh
Chairman Abertillery Aikido Club Bushinkai

Henry Ellis
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/

Paul.Foster-Dent 02-17-2011 05:50 AM

Dear All

Thanks once again for the continued support, cards and flowers that we have received over the past few days.

My grandfathers funeral will be held next Friday 25th Feb at Ruislip (formerly Breakspears) Crematorium at 14:30. We will then return after the service to The Hut public house in Hillingdon. The Dojo will also be open for those who wish to pay their respects.

All are welcome

Regards

Paul Foster-Dent