AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Techniques (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   does nikyo hurt? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22601)

kewms 05-30-2014 09:41 AM

Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:

Carsten Möllering wrote: (Post 337371)
I understand that all of you practice nikyo in such a way that uke can decide to "leave" the contact by "going down"? Is this acutally possible for uke in your way of doing nikyo if tori does not want to let him go?

There are at least three versions of nikkyo being discussed here:

* Cranking on the wrist, making it a pain-compliance technique.

* The way I personally do nikkyo.

* The correct way. (Which I hope my version resembles, but which I don't claim to yet be able to achieve all of the time.)

In the platonic ideal of nikkyo, it is not possible for uke to break connection, but that's okay because his wrist isn't in danger of being injured. It is possible for him to gain some distance by dropping; how effective that is depends on whether nage chooses to let him go or not.

In the pain-compliance version of nikkyo, changing the relationship between uke and nage, whether by going down or by other means, takes the pressure off uke's wrist. That's one reason why this version is not actually all that effective.

Katherine

sakumeikan 05-30-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Alex Megann wrote: (Post 335290)
Watching that clip again, I noticed something interesting. This way of delivering nikyo is very similar to the way I am used to doing it. Anyway, if you look at the moment when the pin goes on, you can see that there is a moment where uke's arm briefly starts to buckle, before the rest of his body starts to move. I think that it is this "wave" of buckling that causes the pain in the wrist. Personally I try to avoid this kind of delay in application - my ideal is where uke's body is locked almost immediately, and you have a direct control over your partner's structure through the arm and shoulder skeletal system.

Alex

Dear Alex,
i consider this waza suspect.Tori raises his arms too much.His upper body is open to a counter attack.Ukes post own ure is fairly strong here. Tori uses hand power alone,Nowhere does he attempt to pin ukes wrist to his shoulder joint.I would rather bring the man in towards me , having applied sufficient pressure on the Uke , and then do the pin.Cheers, Joe,

Edgecrusher 05-30-2014 10:53 AM

It hurts like mad crazy!

Phil Van Treese 06-04-2014 02:55 PM

Only if you break your wrist.

Asou 06-06-2014 12:56 AM

yes it hurts as it can be used to control the uke/victim. When the victim tries anything funny, you can just add the pressure until he taps out.

A flick of the wrist

KNEEL before Zodd!

fatebass21 12-06-2014 12:17 PM

I think if done correctly and effectively it will be at least slightly painful.