AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   My Trip to Japan! (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6601)

aikido_diver 09-30-2004 05:28 AM

My Trip to Japan!

Hey everyone,

FOr my 18th birthday my family have decided to send me to Japan for a 3 week holiday, I know pretty awesome. I spend 1 week in Tokyo, 1 week in Kyoto and 1 week in Osaka.

However I'm planning to visit a few Dojo's and I have a few things to ask, perhaps some of you could shed some light on my questions.

1. Due to me being a beginner would I be allowed to participate in some of the classes at Honbu Dojo?
2. What do I need from my AIkikai Dojo (Australia)?
3. Should I take my weapons? - Bokken and Jo?
4. What are some other Dojo's in the places I'll be going?
5. Would I be allowed to Video record my visit in these Dojo's?

Please don't think of me being an arrogant westerner, I believe in all Ettiquitte in Aikido I think its wonderful, but I'd just like to know some of these answers so that I do not offend anyone in the Japanese Dojo's.

I'm very much looking forward to my visit, as I will also be Springboard and platform diving with the National Japanese Diving Team, however I will be more interested in seeing the Aikido in its home country.

Thank you for your time and help.

NOTE: I know that I am only a beginner, and going there may sound stupid, but I'm going to japan for other reasons - but I want to make the main idea of my holiday centered around Aikido.

Abasan 09-30-2004 05:59 AM

Re: My Trip to Japan!

Hey Todd,

Looks like thats one of the best birthday presents I ever heard off.

Anyway, you would need to get a letter of introduction from your sensei for each dojo-sho. To make things easier, contact each dojo with your sensei's help and get it sorted out before going there. They will be able to say immediately if your level is suitable for their classes or not.

I don't know about the rest, but honbu does not allow filming. Also you won't be doing any weapons there, but the other dojos might. Better ask them I would think. Personally though, I wouldn't bother bringing my weapons. I'd just go and get one from over there... you just to add variety to your weapon make.

And the Tokyo dogis are very good quality. I wouldn't miss buying them.

batemanb 09-30-2004 07:26 AM

Quote:

Todd Allen wrote:
owever I'm planning to visit a few Dojo's and I have a few things to ask, perhaps some of you could shed some light on my questions.

1. Due to me being a beginner would I be allowed to participate in some of the classes at Honbu Dojo?
2. What do I need from my AIkikai Dojo (Australia)?
3. Should I take my weapons? - Bokken and Jo?
4. What are some other Dojo's in the places I'll be going?
5. Would I be allowed to Video record my visit in these Dojo's?

1. Shouldn't be a problem but they may restrict you to their beginner classes.

2. If you have a friendly Japanese Sensei or Shihan, you may ask for an introduction letter to take with you, or, if you already have an Aikikai members card you should at least take that with you.

3. Don't bother, any classes you attend at any dojo will have weapons that you can share if they need them, if not do it without. You really don't want the additional baggage travelling around with weapons.

4. Do a search on here for Osaka or Kyoto. There have been a couple of threads previously, I posted in a Kyoto one in the last week or so with a number of places. The Seibukan in Kobe is also worth a visit (I posted this one in one of the Osaka threads).

5. You can always ask, (the Seibukan let me record on one of my first visits) but don't be surprised if they say no.

Regards

Bryan

Ninjachick 09-30-2004 01:58 PM

Hi Todd

Have just got back from Japan (went over for the IAF Seminar in Tokyo). I would definitely recommend a visit to Hombu Dojo. To train there can be quite expensive (you need to pay the membership fee (approx 8000yen from memory and a training fee approx 1500yen/day or 10000yen/mth). No problems for beginners training there. I would recommend getting up early and going to Doshu's 6.30am class. Don't forget to buy the T-Shirt!

I would also recommend going to the Tokyo Metropolitan dojo with Masuda Shihan. It's on the 33rd!!!! Floor of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building in Shinjuku. We trained there, and not only was the class great, the people amazingly friendly, but the views were awesome!!!

Also a trip to The Aiki Shrine in Iwama good. Training there is in the evening so you'd probably want to stay over. Even if you don't train, it's well worth the visit.

Whatever you do, don't forget to pack a first aid kit with a good Blister Kit!

Have you got accomodation organised in Tokyo? If not I can recommend Kimi Ryokan in Ikebukuro (just do a Google search) - cheap, clean, helpful English speaking staff, close to Yamanote train.

I'm sure you'll really enjoy your time over there.

Mich

PeterR 09-30-2004 06:25 PM

And then there is our little group in Himeji - a few people from Aikiweb have made the trip.
Follow the links below.

David Yap 09-30-2004 10:06 PM

Quote:

ahmad abas wrote:
Hey Todd, ...
And the Tokyo dogis are very good quality. I wouldn't miss buying them.

Before you head off to buy "Iwata" keigo-gi and hakama, you should also check out the "Isamu" keigo-gi and hakama at Shinbukan - a martial arts shop near the Tokyo Dome. The quality is on par with (some may find them better than) the Iwata's and they are cheaper too. The shop is about 200-300 meters down the road from Kodokan (Judo Hombu dojo) facing the Tokyo Dome.

Regards

David Y

PS. On your 24th birthday, get your parents to pay for the 10th IAF Conference and Seminar at Tokyo.

David Yap 10-01-2004 12:26 AM

Correction - The brand of the keiko-gi is "Isami" not "Isamu" and they have got the Aikikai logo on them.