AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What to pass on? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9660)

neb1979 01-22-2006 06:08 PM

What to pass on?

Hi everyone,

This question has probably been asked before but if there was only one thing that you could pass on to students of Aikido (whether it be a technique or advice) what would it be?

The reason for asking this questions is that I would really like to see what people see as being the most important aspect of learning and teaching Aikido.

Cheers
:)

crbateman 01-22-2006 08:13 PM

Re: What to pass on?

Sort of a confusing question. I think the most important thing to pass on is.... everything. I can think of no reason to do otherwise. In teaching, what you teach next is whatever works best in the progression. Prioritizing the importance of each thought or idea as though you will only get the chance to give one more lesson is fatalistic. The study of Aikido is a lifetime pursuit, so it follows that the teaching of Aikido is that as well. JMHO.

Mark Uttech 01-22-2006 08:16 PM

The practice of sincere training is a most valuable thing to pass on; to be able to help anyone begin to practice is a noble thing. In gassho

batemanb 01-23-2006 12:28 AM

Funny that, before I read Clark or Mark, my first thought was "the desire to practice". :)

rgds

Bryan

Mark Freeman 01-23-2006 04:39 AM

I have to agree with all the above, my advice "Get on the mat, practice"

Cheers

Mark

kokyu 01-23-2006 05:26 AM

I think the most important advice was something I read in the book "The Spirit of Aikido" by the second Doshu, Ueshiba Kisshomaru. It was about the "Joy of Practice". He said:

"… It is a matter of pride that the vast majority practice Aikido with great seriousness and dedication. But when it comes to the question of how many truly enjoy a pleasant and joyful training experience, I cannot say that the number is that great. Many practice Aikido using excessive force, others with grim resolution, and still others lack confidence and practice very tentatively.

It is a delight to see practitioners who really enjoy their workout. Many have been practicing for five, ten or more years, following their own pace and making Aikido a part of their daily routine. They appear at the dojo, perform without much ado, throwing and being thrown, quietly following instructions and leave when the class is over. They seem uninterested in promotion and have the manner of people who are enjoying themselves. They make the best Aikido students."

Truer words were never spoken :)

Nick Simpson 01-23-2006 05:31 AM

Excellent stuff from everyone above. Especially the Doshu qoute. To lead on from that I would add: Spirit.

rottunpunk 01-23-2006 05:33 AM

all the secret bits we never get told.

hehe

yeah, the spirit, everything else follows if you have the right outlook in the first place
:p

SeiserL 01-23-2006 07:36 AM

There is only one way to find out, train.