AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   May I come visit your dojo? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7915)

Rod Yabut 04-14-2005 10:59 AM

Re: May I come visit your dojo?

Mr Valadez,

Quote:

David Valadez wrote:
For some reason, that makes sense to me, especially because it is not so easy to train seriously at a seminar - especially some of the bigger ones.

I am in clear agreement with what you said above. That's respectable anyway you look at it.

Quote:

David Valadez wrote:
At a seminar, you can tell who is a serious student and who is not - pretty much at first glance. Serious Aikido students sit in seiza differently, they walk differently, their body looks different, they move differently, they have a different gaze, etc.

This I have to disagree with you. I can't tell from looking at a person if they are a serious aikido practioner or not. Maybe after the first technique performed or first ukemi I can judge. But in my very humble opinion, this shouldn't be a way to approach practice.

Quote:

David Valadez wrote:
I believe I may know of the dojo you are referring too.

Of course, this was shared with me. I wasn't there to see what really happened, but I have to say that the person that shared this with me is goofy off the mat, but as serious as they come on it.

I'm glad you shared another perspective on it though, it always better to hear both sides.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rod Yabut wrote:
My second two cents…

While sharing seminar experiences, I remember a fellow aikidoka telling me that he went to a seminar once where a group from one dojo just practiced amongst themselves. It wasn't their choice because by their sensei actions, he made it a point that they practice amongst themselves and not with the general seminar attendees.
In retrospect, it is their preference - and their "loss" for not exploring the possibilities of their aikido and losing the opportunity to try it with on a different body type. So this same mentality may apply to this unwelcoming dojo.

Rod Yabut 04-14-2005 11:05 AM

Quote:

Ian Hurst wrote:
Oh well, if anyone's in London for a visit and fancy prancing around on the mat with a frivolous bunch of ki-wusses, feel free to drop in. You may not like or accept what we do but you're more than welcome to try it out.
[/free plug]

Ian - I'm planning a trip in 10 months. I'll look your dojo up! :D If there's aikido after the name of a dojo, I'll check it out!

ruthmc 04-14-2005 11:19 AM

Quote:

Rod Yabut wrote:
While sharing seminar experiences, I remember a fellow aikidoka telling me that he went to a seminar once where a group from one dojo just practiced amongst themselves.

That happens here too. Everybody else tends to look on these people as being pretty sad, if they're too scared to train with anyone outside their own clique :p

For me the second best part of attending a seminar is getting the opportunity to train and interact with new training partners. (The best part is getting to train under different sensei :) )

Ruth

Eric Webber 04-15-2005 01:49 PM

Hey Garrett, good thread here. Seeing it, I feel the presumption to put my two cents in. I have traveled a little and practiced in a few different dojos across the US, have never been turned away. Everywhere I have gone I have been treated with kindness and patience, especially when I was starting out and REALLY didn't know my way around an aikido mat. I hope that Pete is not discouraged, and that he will continue to seek out dojos to visit as he travels occasionally, and be open to their teachings and ideas as any good budoka would be.

Shannon Fry 04-15-2005 10:02 PM

I recently traveled to Las Vegas and I too contacted the local Aikido Dojo. It was Desert Winds Aikido. Spoke with James Sterlin and told him who I was and my rank of 2nd kyu. He gladly invited me to participate,So I did. It was the greatest experience I had training outside of my own dojo. I returned to my own dojo with many tricks to share the wealth as they say. I wish that all dojo's could be as friendly as Desert Winds. I encourage anyone that has travel to Las Vegas to train at this dojo.Especially with Sensei Sterlin!! YOU WILL LEARN SO MUCH!! Thanks Sensei Sterlin

Domo Arigato,
Shannon

takusan 05-06-2005 09:52 PM

First let me state that I welcome visits (visitors) from other clubs.
Ours is pretty much an open door type philosophy.
I feel the same as most of the posts state.

Now, - Its their dojo, their rules. - Period.

If you write a letter asking permission, what are the two possibilities?
Yes,
and
No.

If you aren't prepared to take the no's, then don't send the letter.

If someone came to your house, how would you react.
I doubt I would invite a stranger in off the street - as a matter of course.
Some might.
I probably wouldn't.
But its MY house - my rules.

Yes, its unfortunate that we can't just drop in on a friendly basis. We are all aiki children of Osensei. But then, not all siblings get on all that well, (as I'm led to understand).

Oh well, thats life. With aiki, I accept the others decision.

Dave H

Anat Amitay 05-07-2005 03:22 AM

Actually, I find a difference between my home and my dojo, in the sense that I wont let a stranger off the street in my home, but an aikidoka that tells us he'll be around and wishes to join a class or two would be welcome.

takusan 05-07-2005 05:11 AM

Thats why its called a parallel comparison.

You see the merits of one compared to the other. They still, aren't the same.

Like you, I would invite them in,
hell I'd let them throw me around a bit.
No problem there.
That was how I met my current sensei.
Didn't know this old(er) guy from Adam, but as is the norm, asked him in. Turns out that he is the head of the Fuji Ryu Federation Of Australia.
It was this openness that initiated his approach for us to join with his organization.

But in another's dojo OR house, I abide by the owners / sensei particular ways.

What else are we all doing in aikido, than blending, yielding, accepting of other people 'do' :do: ?

Just because I don't agree or like something in someone else, doesn't give me the right to force my views on them. I will retain my opinion, but thats all.
(Tried that other path, thought I liked it, but soon learned it was a rather silly path to follow)

Anyway, we aren't in disagreement, just, I think, a level of sensitivity to other plonkers. Ooops, my bias is showing. Must be human after all. :D

Dave H

samurai_kenshin 05-07-2005 12:03 PM

Just so things like this don't happen in my area, I'll tell you that If you're traveling to Oakland/SF area, you're always welcome to train at Aikido of San Leandro led by Patricia Hendricks sensei. She loves it when students of other styles come, because she believes it shows some other aspects of aikido. BTW over there, we do Iwama style

jester 05-07-2005 01:02 PM

Maybe they had a bad experience or injury in the past. I really think that if someone came to my dojo from another style, they would be really confused as to what's going on. All Aikido really isn't the same.

Also, new students focus mainly on ukemi and our walking kata, which might be really boring to someone with a year or so training already.

If the school was in your own organization, or same style, then I don't see why there would be a problem.

takusan 05-07-2005 05:07 PM

Yes, it is sad that there is resistance to traveling to others dojo, but its their wishes.

To extend the hand of friendship, I will right now, issue an open invitation on behalf of my dojo to people traveling that want to do a bit of training.
This applies to any person of good will and spirit.
NB, plonkers need not bother.
I'm nothing if not honest. Sorry.

Next time you are traveling to Christchurch New Zealand, drop me a line through the Aikiweb for details, or just drop in at the dojo - address as below.
There will be no charge made for the time with us, as that is against our clubs sense of hospitality. (well - more than a couple of weeks, might be pushing it) :D

Canterbury Aikido Club
274 Westminster Street
StAlbans 8004

Training Mon, Wed, Fri
6:00 - 7:30pm

(ps, the only requirement made by us, is that you bring a sense of humour - no kidding, you'll need it) :hypno:

Amir Krause 05-08-2005 02:31 AM

I can easily understand them. In the Dojo I train at, this is the rule with regard to visitors - you can watch but you can't train, unless Sensei believes you are serious.
Visitors from abroad who come and wish to train for the duration of their visit, are normally considered serious and invited to train for free. Visitors from within the country may only watch the lesson, unless after they talk with Sensei, he is convinced of their serious intention to train with us.

I know this approach may sound strange for some of you. But this is the approach my Sensei believes to be traditional in our style. When he was in Japan, he had heard his sensei reject a student who had only planned to practice for 3 years rather then life Here, sensei is more lenient, considering our nature, but sensei will not accept students from other styles who only wish to sample our style. One has to take into account we are very small in relation, and our style is quite different.

Amir