AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Yoshiaki Unno Sensei (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9811)

neb1979 02-12-2006 11:06 PM

Yoshiaki Unno Sensei

Hi everyone,

I was trying to find out a bit about Yoshiaki Unno Sensei but have had no luck. I have searched on all the major search engines but I haven't been able to find out much at all.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find some good background on Unno Sensei?

Thanks in advance :D

asiawide 02-13-2006 03:59 AM

Re: Yoshiaki Unno Sensei

There are so many Japanese teachers. Some of them are well known to world but some others aren't regardless of their skill and rank. I think you should search the sensei by his Japanese name on google japan.

Jaemin

darin 02-13-2006 10:54 AM

I met him tonight. Why don't you come to our Wednesday night class at his house. You will get a chance to meet and talk to him.

neb1979 02-14-2006 04:12 AM

Thanks for the offer Darin :)

darin 02-14-2006 09:23 AM

What do you want to know about Unno Sensei? I may be able to answer some questions.

neb1979 02-14-2006 05:15 PM

1)When did he start training with Minoru Mochizuki Sensei?

2)What arts has he studied with and before he meet Mochizuki Sensei?

3)When did he move to Western Australia?

4)What art/arts did he teach here in WA when he first moved here?

5)What sort of a man was he in general?

Thanks for your help Darin :)

darin 02-15-2006 10:05 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1)When did he start training with Minoru Mochizuki Sensei?

I think in 1960. He was 9 years old.

2)What arts has he studied with and before he meet Mochizuki Sensei?

I think he started doing judo and aikido at the Yoseikan hombu then moved on to karate, iaido and jujitsu. Unno Sensei has around 30 dan grades. He holds 6th dan in aikido, jujitsu, karate and iaido, 4th dan in Nihonden kempo and a 2nd dan in judo. I think he also holds dan grades in other styles of aikido and karate.

3)When did he move to Western Australia?

Around 1974. He was brought out here by Jan de Jong.

4)What art/arts did he teach here in WA when he first moved here?

Aikido, judo, iaido and karate.

5)What sort of a man was he in general?

I have known him since 1992 so I can only speak from my own experiences. As a teacher I found him funny but very direct. He always concentrated on the basics when teaching. As a martial artist I think he was brilliant. He wasn't the best tournament fighter to come out of Japan but I'd easily say he was probably one of the most knowledgeable. As a person I will always consider him a close friend. He's very kind and generous.

Ross Taylor knew Yosh before I did so maybe he can tell you what he was like when he was in his prime.

neb1979 02-15-2006 05:37 PM

Thanks heaps Darin for all your help. I will definatly ask Taylor Sensei as well.

Thanks again :)