AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Seminars (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Aiki Principles Multi Instructor 3-Day Seminar (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20036)

George S. Ledyard 07-09-2011 06:31 PM

Aiki Principles Multi Instructor 3-Day Seminar

1 Attachment(s)

August 19th - 21st
Two Cranes Aikido in Seattle, WA

Open to Aikido Yudansha or Anyone Instructing Classes; Limit of 65 attendees (there are only 27 spots left open)

Instructors:
Kimberly Richardson - Two Cranes Aikido
George Ledyard - Aikido Eastside
Howard Popkin - Daito Ryu Ginjukai
Toby Threadgill - Takamura Ha Shindo Yoshin Ryu
Kaizen Taki - I-90 Systema

On-line Info and Registration

Janet Rosen 07-10-2011 07:38 PM

Re: Aiki Principles Multi Instructor 3-Day Seminar

Got my airplane reservation!

George S. Ledyard 07-10-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Janet Rosen wrote: (Post 287562)
Got my airplane reservation!

Fantastic! See you there!!!

DH 07-10-2011 11:11 PM

Janet
I would go just because YOU are going. Three of these yahoos take seminars from me...I want to get trashed by them when they get to do their stuff.
All they do is test me...I'm nicer and take better ukemi then they do! :D

Janet Rosen 07-10-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Dan Harden wrote: (Post 287574)
Janet
I would go just because YOU are going. Three of these yahoos take seminars from me...I want to get trashed by them when they get to do their stuff.
All they do is test me...I'm nicer and take better ukemi then they do! :D

LOL! Heck, it would be ABOUT TIME (like since when Cady started training in your barn) for us to finally meet. Come west, young man, and play!

Me, I'm just figuring out how this battered body is going to figure out when to sit things out on the side of the mat, because I know even with the weight I've taken off and the stamina I'm working on building, my knee is going to give out each day before classes do....

DH 07-10-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Janet Rosen wrote: (Post 287575)
LOL! Heck, it would be ABOUT TIME (like since when Cady started training in your barn) for us to finally meet. Come west, young man, and play!

Me, I'm just figuring out how this battered body is going to figure out when to sit things out on the side of the mat, because I know even with the weight I've taken off and the stamina I'm working on building, my knee is going to give out each day before classes do....

Oh baby...I could fix that,, so in time they would ask you why you "felt that way" and you needed little effort to get the job done! Big power in small spaces.
Oh, how I think we would laugh! :D
me

Cady Goldfield 07-11-2011 09:13 AM

I can't think of anyone better suited to learning this stuff from Dan, than Janet. Petite, sweet, keenly intelligent, funnier than top-billed standup comics, Janet would shine on the mats whilst 200lb. jamokes would be scratching their heads over why they couldn't lock or throw her, nevermind even be able to budge her! :)

BWells 07-11-2011 10:00 AM

Speaking as a 200lb+ jamoke (whats a jomoke actually?) I can vouch on how hard it is to budge Janet, and that includes both on the mat and in discussions off the mat:cool:

Oh I and I have me ticket too for the seminar:D

Janet Rosen 07-11-2011 10:15 AM

Crap, I have a reputation preceding me?
Folks, your're gonna be disappointed; I'm just a lowly ranked, slow to move, slow to learn middle aged ol' gal who will likely look very confused most of the three days...

Cady Goldfield 07-11-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Bruce Wells wrote: (Post 287607)
Speaking as a 200lb+ jamoke (whats a jomoke actually?)

Where I grew up, it was a benign slang word that just meant a big ol' dude, lug, or perhaps a palooka. :D

Janet, if you hafta have a reputation preceding you, at least yours is one that will have guys opening doors, handing you your hakama and dusting off the tatami for you! ;)

Bryan 07-11-2011 12:03 PM

I signed up a while ago, looking forward to it. I'm not letting Kaizen pound on me with a mallet this time though.

George S. Ledyard 08-12-2011 03:27 PM

Still few spaces left: Aiki Principles Multi Instructor 3-Day Seminar

There are still a few spaces left for this seminar. If you can get here, feel free to sign up. It's going to be an amazing event...

On-line Info and Registration

Howard Popkin 08-17-2011 12:08 PM

looking forward to seeing everyone !:D

Janet Rosen 08-18-2011 02:33 AM

Quote:

Howard Popkin wrote: (Post 290517)
looking forward to seeing everyone !:D

Hey I hear you got an accent. I get to talk Brooklyn!

George S. Ledyard 08-18-2011 03:01 AM

Quote:

Janet Rosen wrote: (Post 290551)
Hey I hear you got an accent. I get to talk Brooklyn!

Accent? What accent? Joe, does Howie have an accent?

Howard Popkin 08-18-2011 07:54 AM

born in brooklyn, but I'm a longgggylander :D

Janet Rosen 08-18-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Howard Popkin wrote: (Post 290567)
born in brooklyn, but I'm a longgggylander :D

Do you give directions to dojo relative to Leonard's of Great Neck ? :-)

BTW had terrible travel day yesterday - took 14 hrs instead of 5 to get to Seattle - so wasn't able to train last night at Eastside :-(

George S. Ledyard 08-18-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Janet Rosen wrote: (Post 290573)

BTW had terrible travel day yesterday - took 14 hrs instead of 5 to get to Seattle - so wasn't able to train last night at Eastside :-(

I am sad you didn't make it... rest up and get mellow for the weekend.
- George

Janet Rosen 08-18-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

George S. Ledyard wrote: (Post 290579)
I am sad you didn't make it... rest up and get mellow for the weekend.
- George

Hai, Sensei!

vjw 08-18-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

George S. Ledyard wrote: (Post 290555)
Accent? What accent? Joe, does Howie have an accent?

I think so:D

Keith Larman 08-18-2011 02:02 PM

Hey, kids, have fun. Janet, be sure to ask Toby about Takamura and astronomy... And say hi for me.

phitruong 08-19-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Janet Rosen wrote: (Post 290573)

i am jealous that you have a chance to learn from these great teachers. the world is just full with unfairness. :p

Janet Rosen 08-21-2011 12:33 AM

Quote:

Keith Larman wrote: (Post 290583)
Hey, kids, have fun. Janet, be sure to ask Toby about Takamura and astronomy... And say hi for me.

I approached Toby with this preface: "I've been asked to ask you a question... but I'm not sure if it is appropriate for this open training session or for dinner tonight..."
When I mentioned the topic he laughed his head off and suggested deferring it to the dinner table :-) ... he also said very nice things about you...

Janet Rosen 08-21-2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Phi Truong wrote: (Post 290632)
i am jealous that you have a chance to learn from these great teachers. the world is just full with unfairness. :p

Phi, I haven't even been able to mark them down yet, they've been so incredibly generous teachers. Although I did have to teach Howard about my lineage of Jewish Mother Aikido (Sosueme Sensei) and Howard hasn't yet taught us the secret technique for shortening your opponents eyelashes...but there is still another day!

In all seriousness, I will try to put my thought in some semblance of order (perhaps a separate post next week and then a longer piece for the Oct edition of The Mirror column). What is striking (besides everybody, at my head, why are they all persecuting me?) is the alignment of operating principles across these very different arts and to a large degree their agreement on at least some of the methods for getting there. Which makes sense since the human body and psyche is a fairly standard issue item.

Janet Rosen 08-21-2011 12:54 AM

Wanted to edit above to add this but too awkward on iPod:
There are other people I have felt and I know other readers of this have felt who are also able to do the kind of devastatingly relaxed kuzushi these teachers are doing - from old aikido-l seminars in late 90s and early 00s, Larry Novick and Chuck Clark stand out.
What is cool about a seminar like this is coming away with a practical toolset that one should be able to keep practicing from whatever the flavor of one's usual dojo.