AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWiki (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Jiyushinkai (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13561)

mjhacker 11-14-2007 04:04 PM

Jiyushinkai

This is the discussion thread for the AikiWiki article "Jiyushinkai".

Please add comments below regarding the article.

gdandscompserv 11-14-2007 04:16 PM

Re: Jiyushinkai

That's an article:confused:

MM 11-15-2007 08:32 AM

Hmmm ... can someone add more details?

Thanks,
Mark

Chuck Clark 11-15-2007 08:40 AM

The Jiyushinkai is an independent aikibudo organization with roots in the teaching methods of: Kano, Mifune, Ueshiba, Tomiki, Ohba, Nishioka, and Miyake senseis. The senior students of the Jiyushinkai are motivated to teach the less experienced how to "stand on their teachers' shoulders" as the saying goes. We all have much to learn from each other.

We practice budo as a "spirit forging" discipline with the ultimate destination of "Self-Realization." However, this discipline must also continue to be a practical and effective form of self-defense in both physical and emotional conflict. Our training gives us more options that enable us to make responsible decisions and actions to resolve these conflicts.

The Jiyushinkan is a traditional dojo where modern educational methods are used. It is our goal to help students who have chosen this path to realize the unity of body, mind, and spirit and contribute to making a better society through our practice. Budo practice can show us the way to understand freedom tempered with responsibility. The inevitable conflicts in life can be dealt with from a calm, peaceful center that develops intuitive methods of resolving these conflicts without fighting. Everyday stress becomes chances for creative decisions and action. The true practice is the realization of freedom each instant through "Seiryoku Zenyo, Jita Kyoei." (Best Use Of Energy With Mutual Benefit- Kano Jigoro)

Best regards,

MM 11-15-2007 08:43 AM

Thank you sensei. I've added your info to the wiki page.

Chuck Clark 11-15-2007 08:56 AM

I see that Jiyushinkai has been added to the "Shodokan" section. We are not part of Shodokan... nor Tomiki Aikido. I was part of JAA, later known as Shodokan for some time. It is part of our history, but to be honest and clear, our method of training and syllabus is not and should not be called "Tomiki Aikido" or "Shodokan."

We train aikibudo... I have no idea what sort of category we belong in. I do like to be as clear as possible and feel a bit dishonest by continuing to be categorized as part of Shodokan/Tomiki Aikido

Best regards,

gdandscompserv 11-15-2007 10:43 AM

Chuck,
May I be so bold as to ask your rank lineage. I do not ask because I question your ability or qualifications. I have heard nothing but good about you, and your post's seem to indicate that you are quite knowledgeable in budo. I only ask out of curiosity.
Sincerely,
Ricky Wood

MM 11-15-2007 11:36 AM

Quote:

Chuck Clark wrote: (Post 194044)
I see that Jiyushinkai has been added to the "Shodokan" section. We are not part of Shodokan... nor Tomiki Aikido. I was part of JAA, later known as Shodokan for some time. It is part of our history, but to be honest and clear, our method of training and syllabus is not and should not be called "Tomiki Aikido" or "Shodokan."

We train aikibudo... I have no idea what sort of category we belong in. I do like to be as clear as possible and feel a bit dishonest by continuing to be categorized as part of Shodokan/Tomiki Aikido

Best regards,

Sensei,
I've removed the entry under the Tomiki style section. If you find a place for the Jiyushinkai, we can add it there. Or, rather, anyone can add it. So far, it seems, everyone has edit rights. :)

Thanks,
Mark

Chuck Clark 11-15-2007 12:54 PM

Mark,

I don't know who set up the organizational categories. Maybe there should be one for aikibudo. But then, a rose by any other name...

Best regards,

MM 11-15-2007 01:26 PM

Sounded like a good idea. :) There is now an "Aikibudo" style with the Jiyushinkai listed underneath it.