AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   unintended-nage (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9188)

Steve Mullen 11-01-2005 05:59 AM

unintended-nage

Has anyone caught themselves sub-consciously sizing people up for techniques in everyday life, for example thinking "i could get shionage on this guy" while shaking hands with a new business partner, or planning kote-gaiashi when someone hands you something. please say you have, then i know i wasn't wrong to lower my medication doses :D

Camille Lore 11-01-2005 06:30 AM

Re: unintended-nage

Lol.... maybe I shouldn't have lowered mine, but I do every so often take a look at guys and think- if he attacked me, could I throw him? :D
I also wonder what it would actually be like to throw someone who doesn't know ukemi, to see what it would be like to throw someone who isn't expecting it....

Steve Mullen 11-01-2005 07:46 AM

you can often get the feel of it by being the only person to stay sober on a dojo night out, when they are all falling about offer to help one of them home and when they have their full weight on you hip throw them into the nearest bush, its great fun and a tactic employed by someone i train with who will remain nameless (cough....nick.....cough....simpson...cough)

Eric Webber 11-01-2005 10:19 AM

Every day friend, I justify it as being "martially aware," and not just truly nuerotic.

pezalinski 11-01-2005 10:48 AM

With age, comes wisdom -- or at least the ability to no longer vocalize, "Go ahead - grab my wrist!" or it's 1000 evileyes variations.

:D But that doesn't keep me from thinking about it...

crbateman 11-01-2005 03:50 PM

You might want to keep that medication within easy reach... ;)

James Davis 11-01-2005 04:11 PM

I do this all the time. :D I've stopped thinking about trying to pull off specific techniques, though. When somebody does their thing, I'll do mine. ;) It's tough to blend when I have preconceived notions of how they'll attack. I just monitor their position and don't worry about what I will have to do; I'm just prepared to do whatever it takes in that particular circumstance. ;) I've probably stopped a couple shady looking guys from starting something by saying "Hey, man. Howya doin'?" when what I really meant was:

Yeah, I knew you were there. :straightf

Mark Uttech 11-01-2005 04:15 PM

What I have always done is looked at the biggest, meanest people around in a crowd, and wondered:"Good grief!" I'd usually forget about being some hot shot or even half shot martial artist in a hurry...

James Davis 11-01-2005 04:25 PM

Quote:

Mark Uttech wrote:
What I have always done is looked at the biggest, meanest people around in a crowd, and wondered:"Good grief!" I'd usually forget about being some hot shot or even half shot martial artist in a hurry...

Yeah, me too. Then I usually look at my wife and think that maybe I can cover her escape. ;)

James Davis 11-01-2005 04:26 PM

Quote:

Mark Uttech wrote:

Oh yeah, one other thing. When the big ones grab you, don't try to perform technique on their wrists...

Grab fingers. evileyes

mj 11-01-2005 04:50 PM

Quote:

Steve Mullen wrote:
Has anyone caught themselves sub-consciously sizing people up for techniques in everyday life..

'sizing up' is such an aggressive (or pro-active) phrase.

Most of the time I don't actually picture techniques in response to the movement of others. I just enjoy the knowable randomness of it.

Finding spaces, usually. With a whole 'mutual orbit' thing going on until everything is calm again and no-one is falling into anyone else. Not that I claim to be any good at it. Challenging them by smiling or contact - challenging a friendly response, feeling another person's ma-ai, respecting it and challenging it with honest friendliness.

I remember reading Dobson's book "It's a lot like dancing" and he recounted a story where they got off a train and O Sensei scooted through the crowd while Dobson struggled, carrying the luggage, sweating and exhausted just trying to keep up with everyone else and get back to Ueshiba.

I'd love to have seen that..

Probably just me.

markwalsh 11-01-2005 10:22 PM

"Has anyone caught themselves...sizing people up?"

Take your pick:

a) Hell yeah, I wana kick everyone's ass.
b) Hell no, I'm enlighted (and could kick your arse)
c) Go to hell - You should be looking at the ladies - stop looking at my arse.

Marc Kupper 11-02-2005 02:43 AM

Quote:

Steve Mullen wrote:
Has anyone caught themselves sub-consciously sizing people up for techniques in everyday life, for example thinking "i could get shionage on this guy" while shaking hands with a new business partner, or planning kote-gaiashi when someone hands you something. please say you have, then i know i wasn't wrong to lower my medication doses :D

I was in a hardware store not too long ago and a fellow customer came in that looked like an NFL linebacker - 6 foot 8, 350 pounds of solid looking muscle. My toes curled at the thought of dealing with an all-out attack by him on the mat but I also felt sorry for him as I knew that Aikido would probably be a long hard road for him.

As for thinking "i could get shionage on this guy" etc. No -- I've never done anything like that. Try adjusting your medications. :hypno:

Marc

ruthmc 11-02-2005 08:42 AM

Quote:

Steve Mullen wrote:

I was thinking "kotegaeshi" when I shook hands with the chancellor at my university graduation... and that thought shows on my face in the photograph which was taken at the time :D

Ruth

crbateman 11-02-2005 08:57 AM

He's 6'8" and 350?? :eek: Who says there's no Bigfoot? I'd have to take a tranquilizer gun to class... His biggest problem would probably be the altitude...

crbateman 11-02-2005 09:05 AM

Quote:

Ruth McWilliam wrote:
I was thinking "kotegaeshi" when I shook hands with the chancellor at my university graduation...

:) LOL... Just shut up and give me my damned sheepskin! Right? Or maybe one of those big, exaggerated "Z" nikkyos, and drive his face into the floor... :D

Adam Huss 11-02-2005 12:16 PM

Anyone heard the story of Shihonage SabuChan?
Anyways,
There was a gentleman who trained at the Yoshinkan Dojo and was a little off, mentaly. No matter what techinique was being taught, he did shihonage (hence the nickname). Even when the instructor was standing over him saying "Sabu Chan, do kotegaishi!" He would nod, smile, and do shihonage. There was some dissention amongst a few students/teachers and the matter was brought up with Shioda Soke. Shioda Sensei didn't see much of a problem given the current situation so he let Sabu Chan continue to train. Well, invariably, he got quite talented at shihonage, and loved to practice it. As time went on a couple of unintentinal injures were the result of his overzealous technique and finaly Shioda Sensei had to ask Sabu Chan to leave the dojo. A little while after that there was rumor of random people being attacked while walking along a pathway through a field. They later found out that it was Shihonage Sabu Chan hiding in the field and jumping at people and performing shihonage and suprised passerbys!

Nick Simpson 11-02-2005 01:20 PM

Thats the best story ever.

Nick Simpson 11-02-2005 01:21 PM

And Steve. What? I love koshinage! Dont take it away from me! Plz.

AikiSean! 11-02-2005 02:30 PM

I read in Aikido Shugyo that O'sensei stressed Shihonage a large amount. So at one of our recent seminars I asked Blok Shihan(whom studied under Shioda) If he was taught to stress the importance of Shiho nage he said they were taught that it was a good technique to master but then he brought up the guy that no matter happened he always did Shiho Nage, funny you mentioned that heh.

Steve Mullen 11-03-2005 03:58 AM

Nick,

I wouldn' dream of trying to take it away from you, half the fun of an all day drinking session is waking up the morning after and looking for the injuries we sustained from drunken ukemi/atemi. Ahhhhhhh happy days

pezalinski 11-10-2005 09:04 PM

Quote:

Steve Mullen wrote:
to me randori is like sex, the more people there the more fun you have

...and the more unintended consequences.... ;)